HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The absolute insanity of ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:54 PM

The absolute insanity of Congress

The absolute insanity of Congress

Iíve posted 2 picture threads about my very brief work on the lawn between the Capitol Building and the National Monument. Here are the links for a reminder, but theyíre only provided for the background of my newest outrage against Congress. I didnít do much, but Iím proud to have been a part of the project.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021552083

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021938840

The rebuilding of this grassy area ran us, the taxpayers, 16 million. Pennies, or less when you think of the expenditures of our federal government, but itís still 16 million dollars. Now only half of the grass will be protected during the inauguration from the hundreds of thousands that will trample it.

It was built to thrive despite the abuse itís expected to get over the years, but it was just planted. It needs time to settle in, root firmly, and adapt to its new environment.

Two bodies control the maintenance of the area. One organization was on top of it and has the materials and manpower in place to protect the area. The other failed miserably and then cried that they didnít have enough time to handle the issue.

A ďcongressional committeeĒ let us down and failed us in just one more way.

The article isnít very long. Iím simply ashamed. The ďbeaconĒ of our nation takes on a beatification project and then fails to protect half of it.

The grass is greener on the Mallís lawn, just in time for the inaugural onslaught

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national//inauguration/brand-new-mall-turf-braces-for-the-onslaught-of-millions-of-inaugural-feet/2013/01/11/0ba2e676-5b6f-11e2-beee-6e38f5215402_story.html

For the inauguration, the section of the Mall with new turf has been placed under the control of two different committees ó a presidential committee and a congressional committee.

The National Park Service said the presidential committee plans to pay for the turf protection in its sector, which runs from Fourth Street to Seventh Street NW.

But the congressional committee says it canít pay for its portion, the area from Third Street to Fourth Street. It was told about the turf protection too late and has no money budgeted for it.

ďGiven the time and budget constraints, we simply canít accommodate this request, which came to us very late in the planning process,Ē said Matt House, spokesman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies.

Yet somehow the National Park Service was on top of things. The cynic in me bets both organizations were told at the same time the conditions of lawn.

2 replies, 608 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The absolute insanity of Congress (Original post)
obxhead Jan 2013 OP
freshwest Jan 2013 #1
elleng Jan 2013 #2

Response to obxhead (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:47 PM

1. So sorry about the sod. The GOP has no respect for living things or a job well done.

I enjoyed the great pictures you shared at the link. I haven't been to visit the Mall in 40 years. Amazing place. Hope you get to see the best parts of this month's history.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to obxhead (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:36 PM

2. SO SORRY, obx,

for you and for all of us.

Park Service appears to do a good job, usually, from what I can tell; Congressional Committees, not so much.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread