HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Operation Rescue files co...

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:45 PM

Operation Rescue files complaint about new abortion clinic in Wichita

Cheryl Sullenger has apparently been promoted at Operation Rescue from communications director to 'policy director'. How nice for her. As a convicted felon (she served time for plotting to bomb an abortion clinic), she couldn't pass the background check to get a real job.

Operation Rescue filed a formal complaint Thursday with Wichita officials about ongoing renovations at the former clinic of slain abortion provider George Tiller, allegations that the building's new owners called meritless.

The latest dustup at the embattled clinic comes amid claims by the anti-abortion group's policy director, Cheryl Sullenger, that the clinic did not obtain required city permits to resurface the parking lot, do landscaping and remodel the clinic. She wants the city to issue a cease-and-desist order to stop construction. She asked officials to hold “the perpetrators” accountable to the fullest extent of the law – subject to all fines, penalties, and jail time.

When Operation Rescue bought another former abortion clinic as it headquarters, the group needed permits to remodel it, Sullenger said.

“We know what it takes to refurbish a building and for that they need permits,” Sullenger said. “They have no permits.”

<skip>

Sullenger's complaint also lists as violations the landscaping of the clinic's exterior, but when pressed about specifics all she could say was that the owners planted “a bunch of plants” on the backside of the building where people couldn't see them. Her complaint also included photos of the newly resurfaced parking lot – work she insisted required a city permit.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/17/4016801/operation-rescue-files-complaint.html#storylink=cpy

10 replies, 719 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Operation Rescue files complaint about new abortion clinic in Wichita (Original post)
proud2BlibKansan Jan 2013 OP
ProgressiveProfessor Jan 2013 #1
proud2BlibKansan Jan 2013 #4
ProgressiveProfessor Jan 2013 #5
proud2BlibKansan Jan 2013 #6
OswegoAtheist Jan 2013 #2
backscatter712 Jan 2013 #3
Proud Liberal Dem Jan 2013 #7
Ilsa Jan 2013 #8
proud2BlibKansan Jan 2013 #10
haikugal Jan 2013 #9

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:54 PM

1. Unfortunately, they may well be right

Building permits are both quality control (a good thing) and a cash flow provider (not always a good thing) to the locality. Building mods beyond painting, trim, or other maintenance probably required a permit. Not sure about the repaving or landscaping.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:07 PM

4. And I feel certain they are just blowing smoke

They are game players, nothing more.

Why would the people remodeling this clinic NOT get a permit? They know OR is going to do everything they can to prevent this clinic from opening.

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:15 PM

5. Permits are public record and I assumed they checked before making noise.

Maybe I gave them too much credit.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:17 PM

6. You don't need a permit for planting shrubs.

I hope you're giving them too much credit.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:56 PM

2. Talibani thinking at its best.

When you're planting bombs and printing "wanted" posters of doctors performing a legal procedure, you have no room to comment on city code violations.

Oswego "Did anyone else notice that Doc Brown's 'permit' in Back to the Future looked suspiciously like a $100 bill?" Atheist

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:05 PM

3. So this is what Operation Rescue does when they're not grooming murderers. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:22 PM

7. Since when did right-wing anti-choicers care so much about "city code violations"

Wonder if they pay the same amount of attention to city code violations when it comes to, say, forced birther "Crisis Pregnancy Centers"?

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:29 PM

8. I hope they were planting prickly pear around the back access points. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Ilsa (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 06:51 AM

10. LOL

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:57 PM

9. I hope they have good surveillance and security...

these people are violent and not above bombs and setting fire to the place. This will be watched and I hope they are on the national list as terrorists.

I'm proud of these courageous people!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread