HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » President Obama acts Cons...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:24 PM

President Obama acts Conservative. Let me explain...

I am not using the political term conservative, but more in his approach to his work.

He does not rush out on the first idea, or go for his "gut" feeling.

He proceeds cautiously, conservatively, thinking about everything before acting.

This is why his speeches can seem stunted sometimes. He literally thinks about every word before he says it.

When he does take action, he doesn't do it guns blazing, but methodically, and taking notes the entire time.

He has a conservative approach to life - when he makes a decision, he has thought long about it.

I like his conservatism.

9 replies, 795 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Taverner (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:28 PM

1. Yes ...

another term for his "conservatism" is "Thoughtful."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:29 PM

2. And he will get more done for the left acting this way...

I don't get why people don't understand that you don't get elected into office guns a-blazing.

There's a tiptoeing approach you have to take in politics to get some of what you want.

Asking for 100% the moment you're sworn in and making ideological appointees accomplishes nothing but warm and fuzzy feelings until the right takes control again.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:35 PM

3. His personal basic processes are very analytic. It is possible for such processes to be valuable

to an individual because that analysis CAN serve a broad much more inclusive perspective, patterning, which, if you get the details wrong CAN be damaged, made dysfunctional.

I am not certain how broad PO's broadest perspective is and how much overlap he and I have in those dimensions, but I am pleased that at least PROCESS-wise he is obviously committed to respecting the empirical individual details of policy, which to me at least suggests more of a possibility of breadth of vision than more narrow and exclusive processes do whatever their political orientation (and that even includes more narrow and exclusive processes with which I may agree more in their outcomes, because, ultimately, for me this is also about how FUNCTIONAL policy is, that is, its capacity for survival through as much change around it as possible, and that is survival WITH traits that enable connections for the people to engage in course correction as much as possible if and when necessary.)

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:36 PM

4. I think you are thinking about the old school conservatives like...

Teddy Roosevelt, Ike Eisenhower, heck even Arne Carlson gov of Minnesota (he had a kind of a bad temper, but he wasn't guns a blazing). Conservatives that worked in a bipartisan fashion and didn't try to destroy their perceived political enemies.

These new ones however, like Bachmann, the now gone Joe Walsh and Alan West certainly don't appear to be thoughtful or methodical. They actually seem to come out guns a blazing. And they aren't alone. They seem to be a vocal minority, but a large minority of their party.

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:39 PM

6. No - I'm not talking about the political def of 'conservative'

But more like "Aunt Anne is a great judge. She takes a very conservative approach to the evidence."

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:38 PM

5. also conservative in the political sense, at times

for example, his emphasis on deficit reduction.

Reply to this post

Response to Enrique (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 04:11 PM

9. is perpetuating the bush police state agenda conservative or other nt

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:30 PM

7. Conservative, as in appointing Republicans to high positions?

He does that all too often too.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:33 PM

8. Burke or Oakeshott, maybe

There are quite a few people who have pointed out he has a conservative temperament

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread