HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » TSA VIPR teams show up in...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:16 AM

TSA VIPR teams show up in Bay Area at train station. Plan to be at major events. Update: Texas.

Last edited Sat Jan 26, 2013, 05:16 PM - Edit history (1)

trutherbot ‏@trutherbot

#TSA #VIPR teams show up in Bay Area at train station. Plan to be at major events. Agents also work undercover:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=8957075#&cmp=twi-kgo-article-8957075
Retweeted by John C.onner

EMERYVILLE, Calif. (KGO) -- People are used to seeing TSA inspectors at airports but on Wednesday, a specialized team made their presence known at the Amtrak station in Emeryville. Train stations are difficult to secure because they're so wide open but on Wednesday, the TSA showed up unannounced to let the public, especially potential troublemakers, know that they are keeping an eye on the rails.

Amtrak passenger Vera Molina said she noticed all the black-clad TSA inspectors right away and it's a presence she appreciates. Asked if she would like to see them more often she said, "I would, can't hurt, just in case you never know." As part of their nationwide "Viper Team" effort, the Transportation Safety Administration put about a dozen agents at the station to see and be seen, although some of the inspectors also work undercover.

"The visible deterrent is making a presence known at the station, getting on the train, talking to passengers, lettings the bad guys know that we're here, and letting the passengers know that we're here, and working with law enforcement to really tailor our Viper teams to their needs," TSA spokesman Nico Melendez said.

The idea is to look for signs of trouble in a place that can be difficult to police because of its wipe open environment. That said, the TSA and Amtrak believe that working together they can make rail travel as safe as it can be. "We do have random baggage checks and we do have, at some of the larger stations, we have canine units and we do random sweeps of stations, tracks, infrastructure," Amtrak spokesperson Vernae Graham said.

(More text and creepy video at the link. Say goodbye to your rights. And people of color? You're just naturally fucked by this, just like you were when TSA started riding buses in Texas.)

---

As mentioned directly above:

mary mad ‏@marymad

TSA #VIPR team conducts "voluntary search" of passengers at Austin train station

via @naaxiom cc @KitOConnell
Retweeted by Adam in Oakland

Note that once we get used to TSA gropinating all of us, said gropinating will cease to be "voluntary". This is called "normalization", getting us used to it then slowly tightening the noose.

Quite honestly, I'm fucking sick of being told "Americans are terrorists!" by the powers who are busy taking our powers.

7 replies, 1092 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply TSA VIPR teams show up in Bay Area at train station. Plan to be at major events. Update: Texas. (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 OP
Newsjock Jan 2013 #1
Glassunion Jan 2013 #2
bananas Jan 2013 #3
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 #4
bongbong Jan 2013 #5
2pooped2pop Jan 2013 #6
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 #7

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:36 AM

1. Let's see some of that "nullification" in the Bay Area

Pass a law making it illegal for local law enforcement to cooperate with VIPR.

Oh yeah, I forgot: We don't play like that. Sometimes I wish we would.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:38 AM

2. Neat!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 04:03 AM

3. Because terrorists might hijack a train and drive it into a skyscraper or the pentagon.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 08:42 PM

4. Americans are terrorists! And Americans are everywhere in America! WAAAHHH!!!

FUCK THE DHS, FUCK THE TSA!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:58 PM

5. Just join the NRA

Then you can show 'em your membership card, and they'll let you board with your assault rifle(s) and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

As long as you're a white guy, anyway.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:58 PM

6. Please....

they don't even ask for ID, or do any kind of bag search or anything on the train that I ride. At least now on the way there. I think just doing that would be more cost effective than these stupid things.

Damn. I kind of liked train riding but I will stop if we start scanning my ass. I've had at least a hundred xrays, cats, etc. I've had all the exposure that I need. I refuse it on the train.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 05:16 PM

7. Kick for update.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread