HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Reagan’s solicitor genera...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:16 PM

Reagan’s solicitor general dismisses right’s fantasy about Obama “tyranny”

Reagan’s solicitor general dismisses right’s fantasy about Obama “tyranny”

Posted by Greg Sargent on January 16, 2013 at 4:39 pm

GOP officials are greeting President Obama’s announcement of 23 executive actions on guns today as if they constitute an abuse of presidential power not seen since the dark days of Watergate. RNC chair Reince Priebus is decrying Obama’s “executive power grab.” Others have called the move reminiscent of a “dictator” or a “tyrant,” and Marco Rubio slammed Obama’s rule by “executive fiat.” Still other Republicans have floated impeachment.

Guess who disagrees? The former Solicitor General of the United States … under Saint Ronald Reagan.

“These are either standard exercises of presidential power, or even more benignly, standard examples of the power of the president to exhort the public or state officials to be aware of certain problems and to address them,” Charles Fried, who was Reagan’s solicitor general during his second term, told me today.

Fried noted that some of the provisions are merely “use of the bully pulpit.” What he means is that provisions such as “launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign” and “challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies” to promote gun safety merely constitute the use of presidential stature to advocate. “If that’s an impeachable offense, then the president has just lost his first amendment rights,” Fried said.

Referring to provision number 11, Fried joked: “Is it an impeachable offense to nominate an ATF director?”

more...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/01/16/reagans-solicitor-general-scoffs-at-rights-fantasy-about-obama-tyranny/

6 replies, 741 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Reagan’s solicitor general dismisses right’s fantasy about Obama “tyranny” (Original post)
babylonsister Jan 2013 OP
Flashmann Jan 2013 #1
alas_babylon Jan 2013 #2
babylonsister Jan 2013 #3
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #5
PCIntern Jan 2013 #4
malaise Jan 2013 #6

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:18 PM

1. Charles Fried will be disowned

And slandered in 3.......2.........

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:28 PM

2. Reply to babylonsister

It's not what the Charles Fried's and Collin Powell's of the party think and do that concerns me it is what the rank and file, the guy that thinks that the first cop coming to his door is there to take his guns, concerns me. It is the guy that has a handgun, sees a member of congress walking down the street and responds to his feelings, to what he thinks.

The Charles Fried's, the Collin Powell's the ones called RINOs are of no concern to us, it is that small percentage that are not moderate that concern me.

I guess we will know within the next month or two. Personally I think it is a dumb move, why stir a pot that does not need to be stirred, this gun bull is about as stupid ad Day Light savings Time. Neither accomplishes anything other than to piss some off. This time the some being pissed off are heavily armed.

After today, if the election were tomorrow I would vote different. Fine for him to start trouble he has the Secret Service, but what about us, the low levels that are stuck with this policy?

Reply to this post

Response to alas_babylon (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:33 PM

3. Why stir a pot...?

So frequent massacres, the last one being of little ones primarily, are A-OK with you? Man, I think you lost your way, not just to here, but in your compassion and humanity. Guns over babies...is that it?

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:22 PM

5. Wow I can't believe that poster above you. Your right on babylonsister. Right on.

The president is doing what is right for the country. If you can't see that then the bullies win. I guess he would rather let them have their way on this. Well what is he going to do with the next issue. What if they start saying you have to go to church or else. No the president is brave to stand up to these bullies.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:41 PM

4. "Nice post". "Welcome to DU". nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:24 PM

6. Huh?

Welcome to DU - enjoy your stay

Reply to this post