HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sen. Schumer says it best...

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:40 PM

Sen. Schumer says it best about background checks. Also, Coburn seems to be on board

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/16/political-sphere-reacts-to-obama-gun-violence-proposals/

Schumer:
If you look at the combination of likelihood of passage and effectiveness of curbing gun crime, universal background checks is at the sweet spot. We’re glad the President put such emphasis on it, and we look forward to working with him on this and other proposals to make our nation safer from the scourge of gun violence.

I think he's exactly right. This is something we can pass (unlike a ban on semi-automatics) which will actually do something (unlike another assault weapons ban), and it's something that has vast popular support nationwide.

Coburn:
The president is right to examine what can be done to prevent tragedies such as Sandy Hook from occurring again. I commend his effort and look forward to working with him on areas of agreement while we continue to honestly debate areas of disagreement. For instance, the president is right to take steps to strengthen mental health databases and reporting to the NICS system so we can ensure that guns do not end up in the hands of criminals or those who are a threat to themselves or others.

That's good news; once that dam cracks this will be a lot easier.

9 replies, 717 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sen. Schumer says it best about background checks. Also, Coburn seems to be on board (Original post)
Recursion Jan 2013 OP
HockeyMom Jan 2013 #1
Recursion Jan 2013 #2
HockeyMom Jan 2013 #3
Recursion Jan 2013 #4
nick of time Jan 2013 #5
PADemD Jan 2013 #6
HockeyMom Jan 2013 #7
PADemD Jan 2013 #8
pipoman Jan 2013 #9

Response to Recursion (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:42 PM

1. Loophole

Buy gun, go through background check, and give that gun as a gift with no money exchanged sale to somebody else with no background check for them. I am including FAMILY MEMBERS on this one going by my own experience.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:44 PM

2. That's already illegal

Well, if it's to someone you have reason to suspect couldn't buy one on their own, at least.

This gets to the same practical problem of drug enforcement: it's very difficult to actually stop people from doing something in private that they want to do.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:46 PM

3. Could you REPORT somebody doing this?

I doubt it especially in gun happy Florida at a Gun Show? I really doubt the seller there would say anything about it.

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:49 PM

4. You could. You could also report people smoking pot

If local law enforcement doesn't make something a priority, it's not going to be a priority.

That said, John Q. Gun Collector having to run background checks when he sells his private guns at a gun show (which is "public" enough that flouting the law would be difficult, particularly with the possibility of sting enforcement) would be great.

Actually this is one reason I think gun shows are ultimately good things: they put some sunlight on a lot of private transfers.

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:53 PM

5. At every gun show I've been to,

there were cops and ATF agents there, uniformed and undercover. I suspect that it will be the same after this new law gets enacted and it would take a very stupid idiot to sell a gun without a background check.

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:53 PM

6. Family members

If that family member commits a crime, your name is still listed as purchaser. You may be held liable.

Reply to this post

Response to PADemD (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:59 PM

7. If there is no registraton?

How will they even have a record of who purchased the gun? I live in Florida.

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:12 PM

8. Hopefully, there will be a federal law

That requires registration of all firearms, no matter what state you live in.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:46 PM

9. It has always been deemed

constitutionally impossible to impose a federal law regulating intrastate commerce in any federally legal personal property. It has come in several bills, and hasn't made it out of committee even with Democratic leadership. The only firearms purchases specifically exempt from NICS checks are sales between residents of the same state, within their home state, neither of them have a federal firearms license. This is not at the behest of gun makers. This is about used guns only. Gun makers make nothing from me selling my neighbor a shotgun. Every other scenario of buying a gun either must go through NICS or is an illegal sale. No, there is a significant hurtle between enacting a federal law requiring these back ground checks.

There really are common sense solutions to this issue, which is probably where we will end up. Right now both sides of the issue are pushing against each other.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread