HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Website for Scam Calls......
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:28 PM

Website for Scam Calls.... Web Site Tries to track those sales calls that hang up...

800notes.com

This website tracks scam and frequent callers who leave sales messages and then hang up.Often these scammers don't even leave a message..they just bother you over and over again........I discovered this a few days ago, when I googled a particular scam call and this site had a record of it..

Just google 800notes.com and view it yourself.
It is free and appears to be very legitimate. If you get a strange call, and it hangs up, just google that number...and this site will probably have a record of that particular number. There are some assholes out there who will call you over and over and this website tries to identify them...Marketers will do anything to get a legit phone number..

It isn't easy. but someone is trying ..just wanted to let everyone know...Stuart G

17 replies, 1663 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Website for Scam Calls.... Web Site Tries to track those sales calls that hang up... (Original post)
Stuart G Jan 2013 OP
agracie Jan 2013 #1
Stuart G Jan 2013 #2
agracie Jan 2013 #3
Stuart G Jan 2013 #4
agracie Jan 2013 #5
marybourg Jan 2013 #6
Stuart G Jan 2013 #7
crash101 Jan 2013 #8
crash101 Jan 2013 #9
greyl Jan 2013 #10
GObamaGO Jan 2013 #11
csziggy Jan 2013 #12
jsr Jan 2013 #13
Stuart G Jan 2013 #14
MineralMan Jan 2013 #15
Blue_Tires Jan 2013 #16
MineralMan Jan 2013 #17

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:33 PM

1. Have you tried it ?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to agracie (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:38 PM

2. Yes, I have tried it.

I have gone there twice in the last few days. I disvovered this site by googling a phone number that hung up on me. Why the hell would they do that. Evidently, a hundred or so people around the country emaild this site to report the same number. Then, I got another one a couple of days later. Same thing except dozens of people had gotten the hang ups. So this site is trying to keep track of these companies that bother us over and over. By reading the comments there I found out that it really doesn't matter whether or not you are on the do not call list. I honestly believe it is legit. I have gotten no emails from them asking for money or anything. I wouldn't put this up, if it didn't feel ok....Stuart G.

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:45 PM

3. Does this site offer a way to stop the calls ? We are ...

on the do not call list, but you are right. The calls keep a-comin'.

Reply to this post

Response to agracie (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:49 PM

4. What they have is comments by people who have dealt this this.

Some people suggest getting a certain kind of phone that blocks those numbers..but the numbers often change so fast that it doesn't really matter. Another person discussed some kind of program that runs thru your computer that only allows in certain numbers..A person will have to go there to find out, but again it looks completely legit and worth your time..Stuart

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:15 PM

5. OK. Thanks. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:54 PM

6. Only allowing certain numbers

to get thru defeats a phone's usefulness for business or emergencies. I believe the hang ups are caused by phone banks which dial 10 or more numbers at once by computer and have a live person respond to the first to answer. The others who pick up later get dead air, but sometimes you can hear boiler room sounds and sometimes if you don't hang right up someone belatedly answers with an unwanted spiel.

Reply to this post

Response to marybourg (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 04:05 PM

7. Excellent point..I had never heard of it.

That really makes a lot of sence to me..thanks.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:22 AM

8. I just hate those calls!

I just hate unsolicited calls! They're a big nuisance! Whenever I get such calls, I report it to the FTC right away in an attempt to get these companies shut down and penalized!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:24 AM

9. These sites sure work!

Yeah, I used 800notes before. I've also reported nuisance calls to Callercenter.com. Those sites sure help people like me who need to post complaints against offending telemarketing companies. Keep up the good work!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:31 AM

10. Heheh, to quote you "Just google..."

That's the first thing we do when an unknown caller interrupts.
There are a lot of sites that help track robocalls and telemarketers, so when you Google a phone number and it shows up all over the first page of results with complaints, it's a fine candidate for the call block.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:42 AM

11. I have always used whocalled.us

Similar service.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:05 AM

12. I've used that site - and found the companies to complain to

Usually I just google the number that called me to try to find the company. Often on 800notes.com someone has already identified the company and has their corporate telephone numbers and contact info.

It's worked well to let me call companies whose robocalls don't allow you to tell them they have the wrong number for some debtor. Once that is cleared up, I haven't gotten return calls from those companies.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:06 AM

13. Very useful website

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:55 PM

14. Today...I got a call from an unknown number..a few minutes ago

It was in my area code, and I thought it could be one of my many contacts..but the number looked new..so I said hello, no answer, then hung up and went to this site..and it was a scam call..these companies move fast and sell the numbers faster. So, no more answers..just wait for caller ID, or the machine to pick it up.....what a waste of time.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:06 PM

15. They're all Rachel, from Card Services.

She keeps telling me that it's my final notice and that if I don't press 1 I won't get to lower my interest rates. I'm afraid that if I press 1, she won't call again, and then I wouldn't get any calls at all. It's a tormenting thing, and I've grown so fond of Rachel over time.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #15)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:11 PM

16. +1000

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #16)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:13 PM

17. There is no problem with your current credit card!

Oh, how I love hearing that. It gives me hope for the future.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread