HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Excuse me if I'm wrong, b...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 01:56 PM

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the NRA been suggesting many of Obama's executive actions?

Of course, if Obama were to say the sky is blue, the NRAbots would argue the point.

Case in point - background checks. For awhile, the NRA has been favoring background checks - except when Obama talked about expanding background checks. Now one of the NRA talking points is that background checks are worthless, because they wouldn't have stopped recent mass shootings.

Other things - such as education, cooperation among federal agencies and between states - are things that the NRA has suggested at one time or another, if I'm not mistaken.

In fact, reading through the list of executive actions, most of them seem to be points that the NRA has suggested over the years.

So now it will be interesting to watch the NRA contort themselves and scream bloody murder over how these actions are infringement on their rights.

6 replies, 564 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Excuse me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the NRA been suggesting many of Obama's executive actions? (Original post)
Hugabear Jan 2013 OP
Flashmann Jan 2013 #1
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #2
Johonny Jan 2013 #4
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #6
randome Jan 2013 #3
patrice Jan 2013 #5

Response to Hugabear (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:02 PM

1. Interesting notion

That people operating purely from a position of greed and self preservation,would be self contradictory....

Very interesting....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:03 PM

2. Two of them, not all of them

Arguably three, out of 27, that hardly makes many.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:11 PM

4. Isn't their agreement sot of fake anyways

They are talking points for the sake of having talking points. For years the NRA has said we don't need new gun laws, we need to enforce old ones. But any time politicians try to increase the ability to actually enforce existing laws they go nuts. This isn't any different than the GOP and their talking points. They cry and cry about the debt, but when it comes time to do measures to decrease the debt... they're the ones that constantly choose the options that do the least to decrease the debt. After a while a person concludes the NRA doesn't believe their talking points they say about existing gun laws anymore than the GOP cares about the debt. The NRA wants high, high volume of gun and ammo sales. That is all they want.

Reply to this post

Response to Johonny (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:17 PM

6. No doubt, and in fact the closing of the

NICS will drive them up to levels not seen...you think they are nuts... Just wait.

A sweet lady in her seventies who never swears summarized it very well the other day. The NRA and the GOP are going insane cause, and I quote, "in their mind there is a n***er in the WH, and that cannot be tolerated." As she went on, all this is really hate from people who cannot let go of their contradictions and racism.

Liberals is code for N lover.

I was a tad shocked. She explained she grew up in the south and she knew back then that we'd come to this point. This is the last stage of the civil rights and civil war. She was one of them pesky liberals, she had to leave town one night, or face lynching. One of the many unsung heroes of the civil rights movement if you ask me.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:04 PM

3. You don't understand, do you? These actions come from an illegimate DEMOCRATIC President.

Therefore, they are evil.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:13 PM

5. Details. Details. What KIND of background checks? etc. Republicans' FAVORITE tactic =

pro forma, check box, "management" in name only.

They REALLY do not want to talk about the definition of "is".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread