HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Struggle Is The Enemy, We...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:33 PM

Struggle Is The Enemy, Weed Is The Remedy: The Truth About Marijuana in North Korea

You might be surprised by what we’re about to say: the most tight-lipped, conservative and controlling country in the world is also a weed-smoker’s paradise. Despite the North Korean government’s deadly serious stance on the use and distribution of hard drugs like crystal meth (which has its own inauspicious legacy in the North), marijuana is reportedly neither classified illegal or in any way policed. The herb of the bohemian and free is not even considered a drug. As a result, it’s the discerning North Korean gentleman’s roll-up of choice, suggesting that for weed smokers at least, North Korea might just be paradise after all.

NK NEWS receives regular reports from visitors returning from North Korea, who tell us of marijuana plants growing freely along the roadsides, from northern port town Chongjin, right down to the streets of Pyongyang, where it is smoked freely and its sweet scent often catches your nostrils unannounced.

There is no taboo around pot smoking in the country – many North Koreans know the drug exists and have smoked it. In North Korea, the drug goes by the name of ip tambae or “leaf tobacco.” It is reported to be especially popular amongst young soldiers in the North Korean military – rather than getting hooked on tar & nicotine like their contemporaries in the West, they fraternize without fear of repercussion by lighting up king-sized doobies during down time on the military beat.

http://www.nknews.org/2013/01/struggle-is-the-enemy-weed-is-the-remedy-the-truth-about-marijuana-in-north-korea/

So that's why the US has such a hard on about North Korea...

4 replies, 832 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Struggle Is The Enemy, Weed Is The Remedy: The Truth About Marijuana in North Korea (Original post)
FarCenter Jan 2013 OP
RomneyLies Jan 2013 #1
FarCenter Jan 2013 #2
RomneyLies Jan 2013 #3
jberryhill Jan 2013 #4

Response to FarCenter (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:39 PM

1. I don't buy it.

It reeks of the reasons starting in 1948 for vilifying cannabis in the US. Starting in 1948 it was vilified because the commies wanted us to smoke it and be pacifists which was a 180 from the 30's when it was vilified for turning young boys into crazed violent maniacs.

Nope, I don't buy a single word.

In fact, I'd not be surprised if smoking cannabis would get you executed in NK.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RomneyLies (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:44 PM

2. Google "north korea" and "marijuana" -- it appears to be true

One wag opined that although it's legal in NK, the people don't smoke marijuana because there is nothing to eat when you get the munchies.

Reply to this post

Response to FarCenter (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:46 PM

3. Just googled it

and not a single credible original source, so I still don't buy it.

Reply to this post

Response to RomneyLies (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:55 PM

4. Then explain this

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread