HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Whitehouse responds to pe...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:33 PM

Whitehouse responds to petition to Impeach: "The Short Answer is No, but Keep Reading."

Official White House Response to We request that Obama be impeached for the following reasons.

The Short Answer is No, but Keep Reading

By The White House

Believe it are not, petitions like the one you signed are one of the reasons we think We the People is such a valuable tool. There are few resources that do more to help us engage directly with people about the issues that matter to them -- especially people who disagree with us.

So let us use this opportunity to set the record straight:

President Obama didn't declare a war in Libya -- and the limited military mission he did order was in keeping with decades of historic precedent.

The Supreme Court has ruled on the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act -- and they upheld the law.

The President has deep respect and appreciation for the Constitution -- he studied it in law school, he taught students about its principles as a professor, and as a lawmaker and now as President, he's carried out its precepts.

And let's be clear, many of those who have been called "czars" have in fact been confirmed by the U.S. Senate as prescribed by federal law, and others hold policy jobs that have existed in Administrations stretching back decades.

So the short answer is that we won't be calling for the President's impeachment -- and given the fact that you made your appeal to the White House itself, we doubt you were holding your breath waiting for our support.

Here's the important thing, though. Even though this request isn't going to happen, we want you to walk away from this process with knowledge that we're doing our best to listen -- even to our harshest critics.

The key is that we can disagree without being disagreeable. That's the kind of public dialogue Americans deserve.

President Obama has said time and time again that neither party has a monopoly on good ideas. And he's repeatedly asked that all Americans -- those who agree with him, as well as those who don't -- do their part to get involved with their democracy.

That's why the White House has created a host of new tools and channels to help concerned citizens hear from us, and more importantly, to help President Obama hear directly from you. And the fact you signed this petition means you've already found at least one of them.

Was written into this petition:

we petition the obama administration to:
We request that Obama be impeached for the following reasons.

We request that Barack Obama be impeached for the following reasons.

1. He proclaimed war in libya without getting congress approval first. Article I, Section 8- Only congress can approve to start war.

2. Obamacare is unconstitutional. Forcing US citizens to get health insurance whether they want it or not.

3. Obama disrespects our Constitution calling it flawed and trying to change it even after taking this oath:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,

and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

4. Appointing agency “czars” without Senate approval.

Created: Nov 11, 2012

Nice try...

18 replies, 2168 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to NYC_SKP (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:38 PM

1. The wacos are in full force.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:39 PM

2. Wonderfully written.

Almost as good as the one denying funding for a deathstar!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:47 PM

3. Classy as always. Good response. This is not what the wingnuts wanted.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 08:47 PM

4. Fact Check!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:00 PM

5. They're a lot nicer than I would have been.

Then again I'm not known for my tact and graceful winning attitude so I probably would have gone with something along the lines of:

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:38 PM

6. Who did the Original Petition...I didn't see the link on the post.

Thanks ...if you have the link as to what this about for those of us who want to know more or read further.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:53 PM

10. Thanks...wanted to see the link to the RW Petition though...

this is just Obama Administrations answer. But, thanks anyway!

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:07 PM

11. Here's that link...

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:24 PM

12. Thanks...that's pretty thin reasons and that's why I thank you for the link to read.

I wonder how they think they can get donors for such thin crap.

Only thing I agreed with them on was:

"1. He proclaimed war in libya without getting congress approval first. Article I, Section 8- Only congress can approve to start war."

Which shows how stupid they are that they threw that in figuring they might get some disenchanted Dems to throw them a few bucks. I wouldn't throw them a "half penny" for that thin ..."PETITION." I'm amazed that Obama even bothered with that one.

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #12)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 01:12 AM

18. Libya was a NATO operation and the USA is part of the NATO nations.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:42 PM

14. I see they didn't post their last names...

brave souls, and all.

Reply to this post

Response to Frustratedlady (Reply #14)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:51 PM

15. I think that's what the whitehouse petition website does with names by default (nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:41 PM

7. Spoken like a patient parent to a petulant 6 year old.

Good response.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:44 PM

8. So I guess that they wanted to impeach Bush

since he wanted to change the Constitution (he wanted to ban marriage equality by Constitutional Amendment).

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:27 PM

13. They don't seem concerned that Bush got us into TWO WARS and set GROUNDS

for the REST with CHENEY/RUMSFELD and the "Project for the New American Century, Doctrine."

They go after Obama for Libya... Hell we are in the WARS that PNAC FORETOLD and WISHED FOR! All going according to PLAN!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:06 PM

16. Personaly, I would have had a hard time not sneaking a little snark.

I would have added something like the following to the official response:

Also, please be aware that only the U.S. House of Representatives can initiate impeachment proceedings. For the White House to attempt to initiate them would, indeed, be an unconstitutional attempt to usurp powers that are specifically given to the Legislative Branch of the government, not the Executive.

Reply to this post

Response to Stonepounder (Reply #16)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:09 PM

17. He he. I would have mentioned 49,572 reservations being made for supporters at FEMA camps.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread