HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NYPD's Plan to Catch Drug...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:20 PM

NYPD's Plan to Catch Drug Thieves: 'Bait Bottles' with GPS inside

NYPD's Plan to Catch Drug Thieves: 'Bait Bottles'
GPS bottles will lead cops to stolen prescription medications
y

(Newser) How to fight the theft of prescription medications? New York City police have an idea: Stock pharmacies with fake pill bottles outfitted with GPS trackers. These "bait bottles," if stolen, could then help the NYPD zero in on suspects and their stashes of painkillers and other drugs, the AP reports. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly will unveil the plan today at a California health conference hosted by Bill Clinton's foundation.

Prescription drug abuse "can serve as a gateway to criminal activities, especially among young people," he says. "When pills become too expensive, addicts are known to resort to cheaper drugs such as heroin and cocaine. They turn to crime to support their habit." The growing black market for prescription drugs, and an associated increase in high-profile crimes related to the drugs, prompted the idea. NYPD officers will visit the roughly 6,000 pharmacies in the city, asking them to increase security and stock the "bait bottles

http://www.newser.com/story/161000/nypds-plan-to-catch-drug-thieves-bait-bottles.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_3_2

8 replies, 792 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply NYPD's Plan to Catch Drug Thieves: 'Bait Bottles' with GPS inside (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Jan 2013 OP
immoderate Jan 2013 #1
Travis_0004 Jan 2013 #4
immoderate Jan 2013 #5
frylock Jan 2013 #6
immoderate Jan 2013 #7
pinto Jan 2013 #2
Viva_La_Revolution Jan 2013 #3
friendly_iconoclast Jan 2013 #8

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:32 PM

1. This will target some "low hanging fruit..."

An economical way to round up some petty thieves. But it does little about the criminal enterprise that is the pharmaceutical industry.

--imm

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to immoderate (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:20 PM

4. I disagree.

Somebody who is robbing drugs from a pharmacy should be arrested, and I see nothing wrong with using technology to find them and arrest them.

Reply to this post

Response to Travis_0004 (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:01 PM

5. I didn't call it wrong.

But why are these items being stolen? Maybe some people can't afford them. Not possible in a civilized country.

What about companies that change formulas to extend patent control without improving the efficacy of the product? And blocking the release of generic versions of drugs?

I'm not against apprehending these thieves, especially with a such an economical and effective method. But I'm sure there are some who felt their choices were limited by a corrupt system.

--imm

Reply to this post

Response to immoderate (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 07:46 PM

6. this isn't about people with legit prescriptions stealing because they can't afford them..

these are addicts rolling up pharmacies. see the movie Drugstore Cowboy with Matt Dillon.

Reply to this post

Response to frylock (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:01 AM

7. I see there's a real underworld here.

But my general view is not different. Small time.

--imm

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:32 PM

2. NYPD may be off base here. It's my understanding that misuse of prescription meds are via prescription

not outright theft for the most part. Folks doctor shop for multiple scrips or find unscrupulous docs who may be willing to over prescribe. Though often resold in the grey market later, they're obtained "legally" originally. That's what I hear on the West Coast. NY may be a different situation.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:34 PM

3. so they learn quick to ditch the bottles, much $$ wasted. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Viva_La_Revolution (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 AM

8. Or wrap them in aluminum foil...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread