HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » No one Thought it was a H...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 07:19 PM

No one Thought it was a Hoax Quote...and here's Why.

The House Majority Leader was misquoted this morning as saying “We blocked the Violence Against Women Act because the Senate forced it on us without our consent. I’m sure women understand.”

I, along with a number of people I trust, reposted the offensive quote with the expected outrage. Politically literate women have been a bit edgy about violent rape talk since April when the Senate passed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), only to find the previously unanimously supported and typically bipartisan legislation stalled in the House by GOP leadership who objected to new language protecting LGBT, immigrant and Native American women. The legislation has expired and will have to pass anew even in the Senate when the 2013 Congress hits Washington should it stall another three weeks.

SNIP:

Nobody thought it was a hoax. Amidst all the hand wringing, hair pulling, face palming, fist clenching and blood pressure raising responses we had – the impulse to simply believe it was universal.

That we believed it would itself be unbelievable just a year ago. We’re smart people, many of whom have been misquoted, misconstrued and misjudged in the past, making us sensitive to the harm blind retweeting and reposting can do.

So, what happened? Simple: the phrases “forced ultrasound” and “legitimate rape” entered the body politic.

SNIP:

Language matters. Attitude matters. Public discourse matters. All three have become pervasively abhorrent in the party which retains control of the House of Representatives. So, when that legislative body’s second in command has a hoax quote go viral as he “negotiates” the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, it is he – not I – who should be considering why it was so immediately widely believed.

This is what the GOP has become.

http://angryblackladychronicles.com/2012/12/18/violence-against-women-act-one-in-four-women-by-katie_speak/

3 replies, 954 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply No one Thought it was a Hoax Quote...and here's Why. (Original post)
sheshe2 Jan 2013 OP
Kalidurga Jan 2013 #1
sheshe2 Jan 2013 #2
Kalidurga Jan 2013 #3

Response to sheshe2 (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 07:29 PM

1. What was the real quote...

This sounds way to real. Was the meaning of what was actually said the same as the fake quote? Somehow, I think someone paraphrased and didn't change the meaning of what was said.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 07:43 PM

2. From the Link...

The quote was a rape joke in reference to the obstruction Majority Leader Eric Cantor continues to show in negotiations with Vice President Biden (the author of the original VAWA legislation) on finding a way to pass VAWA before the end of the lame duck session. It was in poor taste and the apologies and retractions spread on social media as quickly as the quote initially had.

Reply to this post

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 08:40 PM

3. Ugg

The reality is worse than the rape quote. I had no idea the hold up was because he wanted it to continue to be easy for white men in particular to rape Indian women on reservations. Currently, the lines of jurisdiction are fuzzy at best.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread