HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mother Jones: The NRA, An...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:33 AM

Mother Jones: The NRA, Anti-Government Extremism, The Tea Party, And Their Ancestor, Timothy McVeigh

One time Republican, Timothy McVeigh lived and learned at gun shows often co-sponsored by the NRA. At the time, the NRA was not radical enough for McVeigh, so he let his membership lapse.

Today, McVeigh would feel Right At Home with the NRA and The Tea Party.

Apparently the actions of National Rifle Association member Timothy McVeigh didn't teach the organization that its violent anti-government rhetoric can have dangerous consequences. On a day when thousands of Tea Party activists are taking to the streets to protest Tax Day, the Violence Policy Center has released a report today chronicling the increasing ties between the gun lobby and the Tea Party movement, and the NRA's adoption of much of the "Patriot movement's" anti-government language. The center sees direct parallels between the NRA's current activities and those in the years leading up to McVeigh's fateful decision to blow up the Oklahoma federal building:

"The gun lobby is once again embracing—and, equally important, validating—the anti-government rhetoric being offered by activists that range from Tea Party members, through pro-gun advocates, to members of the militia movement. And as was the case with Timothy McVeigh, the risk lies not so much with the organized members of these groups, but with the "lone wolves" who not only embrace their rhetoric, but are willing to act on it with violence."

The report connects the NRA to the organizers of this Monday's Second Amendment March in DC, an event the VPC finds ominous. The VPC quotes march organizer Skip Coryell, who wrote a March article in Human Events describing the event's purpose:

My question to everyone reading this article is this: "For you, as an individual, when do you draw your saber? When do you say, “Yes, I am willing to rise up and overthrow an oppressive, totalitarian government?”...I hear the clank of metal on metal getting closer, but that’s not enough. The politicians have to hear it too. They have to hear it, and they have to believe it. Come and support me at the Second Amendment March on April 19th on the Washington Monument grounds. Let’s rattle some sabers and show the government we’re still here. We are here, and we are not silent!

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2010/04/nra-encouraging-tea-party-and-militia-violence

15 replies, 3462 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mother Jones: The NRA, Anti-Government Extremism, The Tea Party, And Their Ancestor, Timothy McVeigh (Original post)
onehandle Jan 2013 OP
malaise Jan 2013 #1
Turbineguy Jan 2013 #2
Pale Blue Dot Jan 2013 #3
Turbineguy Jan 2013 #12
oldhippydude Jan 2013 #4
flamingdem Jan 2013 #15
dem in texas Jan 2013 #5
MynameisBlarney Jan 2013 #6
oldhippydude Jan 2013 #7
reteachinwi Jan 2013 #9
onehandle Jan 2013 #13
YoungDemCA Jan 2013 #8
mrsadm Jan 2013 #10
onehandle Jan 2013 #11
Turborama Jan 2013 #14

Response to onehandle (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:35 AM

1. Missing from the subject is the ReTHUG party

They want power by any means necessary

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:58 AM

2. I don't think Timothy McVeigh is their ancestor.

I have a theory that this entire new American Conservative movement was cooked up by the KGB in the mid to late '70's to destroy America from within. The movement later became so successful because the useful idiots at the bottom were willing to pay those at the top so well.

Reply to this post

Response to Turbineguy (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:09 PM

3. That's a pretty extraordinary claim.

Is there any evidence to back it up?

Reply to this post

Response to Pale Blue Dot (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 03:33 PM

12. They've done something like it before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Trust

After WWI the Soviets had western governments paying for Soviet intelligence operations. Krushchev famously said "we will bury you!". Brezhnev may have decided to have the Americans dig their own graves.

Reply to this post

Response to Turbineguy (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:51 PM

4. look no further than Robert Welch... aided by the Koch Brothers father..

and the John Birch Society... on the heels of the Mc Carthy era..

Reply to this post

Response to oldhippydude (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:48 AM

15. I wonder if McVeigh admired the Nazi party

I know that his girlfriend complained that he slept with his gun and paid more attention to it than to her.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:33 PM

5. Yes, I have felt along that we are going to have another Oklahoma City type event

We will not be attacked by foreign Muslim terrorists, but by good ole' white boy terrorists. They will pick a date that is significant to some event concerning guns or gun control.

Reply to this post

Response to dem in texas (Reply #5)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 01:41 PM

6. Ruby Ridge...

or Waco most likely.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:03 PM

7. i had it pegged even money either an OK city event... or a Jonestown mass suicide

but now I am betting the former... and watch the right wing powers that be blame it on the feds...

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:08 PM

9. April 19?

At Minute Man National Historical Park the opening battle of the Revolution is brought to life as visitors explore the battlefields and structures associated with April 19, 1775, and witness the American revolutionary spirit through the writings of the Concord authors.
http://www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 07:43 PM

13. Far more will fall to far right gunbaggery than fell to 9/11. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:06 PM

8. America's right-wing political spectrum is the Tea Party's ancestor...

The likes of McVeigh, etc. are just the most extreme expression of the American Far Right.

Few people would take action like McVeigh, but there are more people who secretly agreed with him than would care to admit.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:54 PM

10. that article is from 2010

I was trying to figure out - what Monday? Tax day? April?

Reply to this post

Response to mrsadm (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 03:18 PM

11. And even more true today. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:27 PM

14. Related petition in Meta

For anyone who may have missed it: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1240204758

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread