HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What should be the minimu...

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:43 AM

What should be the minimum wage?

Instead of debating the debt ceiling, perhaps Congress should be debating the minimum wage. That would do more good than debating tax policies with the Republicans. That would do more good than temporarily cutting the payroll taxcut.

How much should it be raised? Taking into account inflation and the lack of any meaningful wage increases for the last 30 years, there is no reason not to raise the minimum wage to at least $10 per hour. That would tend to drive up other wages also. Those that are making $10 dollars an hour would make about $12 dollars an hour. This is a big portion of the workforce of present-day America.

This would do a lot of good for our economy and would also help the businesses that have been withholding any wage increases because these folks would spent nearly 100% of any wage increase they might receive.

This is the type of debate that Democrats should be undertaking rather than playing games with the Republicans about raising the debt limit, etc. Let's debate Democratic issues that affect the poor and the working class of America.

17 replies, 1151 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply What should be the minimum wage? (Original post)
kentuck Jan 2013 OP
backwoodsbob Jan 2013 #1
Recursion Jan 2013 #2
Scuba Jan 2013 #6
Robb Jan 2013 #3
randr Jan 2013 #4
Walk away Jan 2013 #5
bobclark86 Jan 2013 #7
kentuck Jan 2013 #8
backwoodsbob Jan 2013 #10
madokie Jan 2013 #9
Skidmore Jan 2013 #11
kentuck Jan 2013 #13
davsand Jan 2013 #12
kentuck Jan 2013 #14
theKed Jan 2013 #15
RKP5637 Jan 2013 #16
Earth_First Jan 2013 #17

Response to kentuck (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:45 AM

1. I would go $14.00

that at least is a wage where basic necessities can be met

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:45 AM

2. $20, raised over the next several years

We need some inflation, though there's a "right" pace to do it at.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:53 AM

6. Holy shit, we agree on something!

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:46 AM

3. Three times housing costs.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:51 AM

4. Minimum wage should be just what is says

The minimum amount needed to exist in todays world.

Reply to this post

5. It should be tied to cost of living in the area.

How can you possibly equate the minimum wage in Mobile Alabama with NYC.

Reply to this post

7. Ah, I see your misconception...

Let's look at your premise: If the minimum wage goes up to a certain amount, other wages will rise an equal amount.

In theory, that's lovely. In reality, it doesn't happen.

The $10 an hour worker will still get $10 an hour. I worked at McDonald's in the early 2000s and started a quarter or so above minimum wage. The minimum wage rose twice while I was there. Guess what? The first time, my wage was set at the minimum wage. The next time, after a year and getting a quarter raise for longevity, my wage was again set at minimum wage. So, two years in, and I was still making minimum wage, despite several longevity raises (which were just tossed out the window).

In experience, if you raise the minimum wage to $10 an hour, you just set more people at minimum wage.

You made the fatal mistake of "Scarface," you underestimated the other guy's greed. Business leaders are fucking assholes and won't give a dime more than they must. That's something that needs to be considered.

Reply to this post

Response to bobclark86 (Reply #7)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:56 AM

8. I think history proves you wrong?

When the minimum wage has been raised in the past, other wages have gone up likewise.

Reply to this post

Response to bobclark86 (Reply #7)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:58 AM

10. that is why you raise the mimimum high enough

to be effective.

AT MINIMUM $14.00

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:57 AM

9. It should be a livable wage where ever the location may be

Any labor is worth what it cost to live, simple as that in my way of thinking.
Here in OK it is cheaper to live than say on either coast so that should be taken into account at the minimum

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:59 AM

11. There should be a corresponding question of "What should be the maximum wage?"

Reply to this post

Response to Skidmore (Reply #11)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:01 AM

13. Excellent point!

Above a certain "wage", they should be taxed at 90%, in my opinion. Personally, I would set it at about $5 million per year and everything after that would be taxed at a very high rate.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:59 AM

12. I think the discussion needs to be about a LIVING wage.

We've already demonstrated that a "minimum wage" is not working out too well. Minimum wage as we know it is literally below poverty level, with most workers unable to meet basic needs and dependent on various social programs for survival.

Given that cost of living is dependent on local economic factors, I'd suggest taking a look at this before any sort of national policy discussion goes for too long:

http://livingwage.mit.edu/

Laura

Reply to this post

Response to davsand (Reply #12)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:03 AM

14. Interesting point Laura.

This is the discussion we need to have.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:13 AM

15. The wonderful thing

about setting a Minimum Wage to a point where people can live without subsidy, reasonably, is that it would actually save the government money, and shift the cost of supporting lower class families onto the employers, where it ought to be. Consider Walmart, the largest employer in the nation, a corporation who's business model is based on under-paying employees and letting the government top up their necessities through SNAP and other means. Reasonable minimum wage laws would eliminate that practice.

While there's the upside that it would create upwards pressure on wages and pump a lot more money through the economy, there is the downside that it would create upwards pressure on wages and pump a lot more money through the economy. By that I mean, when the you pump up wages at the bottom end like that, and push everyone else's wages higher, you create a lot of inflationary pressure on the market and - in the longer term - prices will inflate to meet that new wage level. Wage can be keyed to inflation to moderate this, and I feel that the benefits far outweigh the negatives, ultimately.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:22 AM

16. To me, the minimum wage should be a percentage of the highest wage. And then becomes

the problem of how the highest wage is calculated ... does that include investment income. In my world, the highest income would include ALL monies, and then the minimum wage would be a percentage of that as a function of how skewed the highest income was and the resulting distribution.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:24 AM

17. How long is a piece of string?

It ought to be tied to the rise in inflation accounted for geography.

How much does rent cost?
Transportation?
Food?
Healthcare?

etc.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread