HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Please if you have the fl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 03:48 AM

Please if you have the flu or are sick, stay at home, or cover your mouth when you cough

I have become sick today, most likely the flu that the news has been reporting on recently, and I was taking the public transportation today. On two different occasions, people coughed and I think I got it from them, because they didn't cover their mouth. I'm not someone who can afford to get sick, and it pisses me off that I got sick this way. Thank you.

15 replies, 1956 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Please if you have the flu or are sick, stay at home, or cover your mouth when you cough (Original post)
quinnox Jan 2013 OP
KansDem Jan 2013 #1
tomm2thumbs Jan 2013 #2
triplepoint Jan 2013 #3
leftynyc Jan 2013 #4
Hekate Jan 2013 #5
Sherman A1 Jan 2013 #6
Diclotican Jan 2013 #7
Bernardo de La Paz Jan 2013 #8
justabob Jan 2013 #13
Snarkoleptic Jan 2013 #14
safeinOhio Jan 2013 #9
99Forever Jan 2013 #10
Brickbat Jan 2013 #11
intheflow Jan 2013 #15
MineralMan Jan 2013 #12

Response to quinnox (Original post)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 04:00 AM

1. Sound advice...

I caught a cold and will be staying home today (I'm up at 3am because I slept most of Sunday). I might stay home Tuesday as well.

I work in an environment with high-risk people who are constantly hacking, coughing and sneezing during flu seasons like the one we're in now. They're not particularly endowed with the "social graces" and will often cough or sneeze without covering. I know I caught my cold at work.

Stay warm and rest! Hot tea is good, too!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 04:24 AM

2. Feel better soon --

Same thing happened to me at the store once -- crossed paths with someone who literally sprayed my path with a brothy wet sneeze cloud. Worst thing I had in years. One simple turn to direct it into one's sleeve may have prevented it.

Anyway, feel better.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 04:53 AM

3. Been There...Done That....Got the T-Shirt! .....|; )

I got the flu shot...still got the flu...and am well now....It took all of two weeks to get well. Hope the rest of you fair at least as well.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:22 AM

4. Very sound advice

I'm about to take a commuter train followed by a short subway ride. I've been listening to hacking and sneezing for weeks. About 20% of my office was out last week. A very nasty flu season.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:23 AM

5. Get well soon, quinnox

The one and only time I ever got strep throat I was equally pissed off: the "dedicated" woman professional who came to the office sick, then my boss got it and was so "dedicated" he came to the office sick, then my boss used my telephone and that's how I got it. Idiots.

When my kids were young my daughter was susceptible to strep just as my younger sister had been -- but although I cared for my daughter when she was sick, took her to the doc for penicillin and kept her home from school, I never got strep throat myself because I was careful and a handwasher -- until my sick boss used my phone at my desk instead of his.

Take care of yourself -- what's going around is nasty.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 05:26 AM

6. Good advice

I am a big fan of the yearly flu shot & zinc tablets in addition to a daily multivitamin.

Hope you recover soon.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:06 AM

7. quinnox

quinnox

Got the flue - and wil stay home as long as I can... Caugh and sneeze all day long... But at least I can have a decent shower now and then, to make the worst feber calm down.. And have a lot of tea and other hot drinks and food in house, so I wil survive..

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 06:10 AM

8. Cough into your elbow, not your hand. Wash your hands, frequently. Don't touch your face.

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #8)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 10:12 AM

13. +1 on the elbow advice for sure

and the other as well, but not coughing into your hands is really good advice.

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #8)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 AM

14. "Wash your hands, frequently" - Thank You!

I never knew basic hygiene was such a controversial subject (nor such a chore) as I saw in this recent thread.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022178898

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 08:40 AM

9. All minimum wage earner that have little choice,

no sick days, feel free to go to work sick and cough on all customers.
Others, demand that the fast food places, gas station or retail stores give workers paid sick days.

That is just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Reply to this post

Response to safeinOhio (Reply #9)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:11 AM

10. You got that right.

Funny how many don't quite get that "taking a sick day" isn't an option available to those that need it most. Compassion is dead in the USA.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:18 AM

11. You can't afford to get sick, other people can't afford to stay home either.

Better to combine our voices and agitate for improved sick-leave policies from employers, so no one feels they have to go to work sick, or lose their job.

Reply to this post

Response to Brickbat (Reply #11)

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:56 AM

15. This is what I was going to post.

Except you said it more diplomatically than I would have.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 09:38 AM

12. Excellent advice, but impossible for many people to

follow. As for who you think you caught the flu from, there's no way to know. More likely, you caught it by touching something, then touching your face. That's a much more common means of transmission than someone coughing near you.

Getting a flu shot is the best way to prevent the flu, although it's not 100% effective, as I learned after flying to California. I had the flu two days after Christmas, and the flight home, which I could not delay, was unpleasant, at best. I did my part, though, and tried my very best not to spread it. However, there were many people on the plane coughing. So, the entire plane was probably exposed. In fact, every plane flying around the Christmas holidays probably had more than one person with the flu on it.

As an aside, I got to go through the nudie scanner at MSP. They didn't have any in Burbank, though, for my flight back.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread