HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Who attends the schools B...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 02:13 AM

Who attends the schools Bloomberg wants to close? *Only* black kids.

Mayor Bloomberg wants to close as many public schools as possible in this, his last year in office.

So his Department of Education has announced that another 26 schools will close as soon as they can go through the formalities.

All of these schools have low test scores and get poor marks on the DOE’s report cards.

But they have something else in common.

Every single one of them is highly segregated.

Only one school on the list has more than 2% white students.

Wouldn’t you think that after more than a decade of nonstop reform that the Mayor might have figured out some improvement strategies for schools serving students of color other than closing them?

http://dianeravitch.net/2013/01/12/who-attends-the-schools-that-the-mayor-will-close/

12 replies, 795 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Who attends the schools Bloomberg wants to close? *Only* black kids. (Original post)
HiPointDem Jan 2013 OP
Downwinder Jan 2013 #1
LisaLynne Jan 2013 #12
Selatius Jan 2013 #2
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #3
Downwinder Jan 2013 #4
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #5
Downwinder Jan 2013 #6
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #7
Downwinder Jan 2013 #8
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #9
xchrom Jan 2013 #10
ProgressiveProfessor Jan 2013 #11

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:36 AM

1. What a coincidence, isn't that the same in Chicago?

What schools in New Orleans were closed after Katrina? How about the towns in MI with "Emergency Managers?" Am I imagining something or is there a pattern?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Downwinder (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 10:26 AM

12. I'd say there is a pattern. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:42 AM

2. You can't have an underclass of near virtual slave laborers unless you destroy their schools.

Without an adequate education, those kids have no future except wage slavery. Sure, it's not slavery in the sense that they're not being paid a wage for their labor, but the servitude and indebtedness is all the same.

Reply to this post

Response to Selatius (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:48 AM

3. +1

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:48 AM

4. OK, you posted both of these, do you want to

tie them together?

Project S.H.A.M.E: The Recovered History of Charles Murray: author of high-incarceration policy
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022183698

and this current thread.

Reply to this post

Response to Downwinder (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:51 AM

5. not sure what you mean by tie them together. you mean murray's role in developing the high-

incarceration policies that presently target urban black males & the destruction of public schooling that has hit low-income black schools first?

the school to prison pipeline?

it's all of a piece, and it's institutional racism -- but not only.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #5)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:53 AM

6. How about cause and effect?

Reply to this post

Response to Downwinder (Reply #6)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 05:55 AM

7. why don't you just say what you think?

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #7)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 06:16 AM

8. Cognitive problems. I don't have enough data.

I don't see the whole picture. But a pattern of destroying the black communities is emerging. Al Jazeera, The Stream, had a good segment on Chicago Friday. Where are they putting Charter schools?

It is the why I don't understand. Is it political, to break up the vote or is there something else? Notice that in Thailand Murray was involved in breaking up communities.

Reply to this post

Response to Downwinder (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:00 AM

9. i don't think we can know why; all we can do is guess. mine is 1) to maintain the power of elites;

2) to further the economic & political plans of elites (or some faction of elites); 3) to control the peons (either by impoverishing them economically/physically/intellectually/socially or by setting them against each other over resource competition)

No one who looks honestly at what's happening in education can believe it's going to make things better or that it's a disinterested move by people who are only thinking of the children.

It's a resource grab. I think the reason it started in low-income black communities is because they're minority communities with limited resources (less power to fight back); there's genuine dissatisfaction with schools & desire for better ones, so the grifters can play to that genuine desire with their phoney solutions; the larger community will believe the same storyline, and mostly doesn't care about low-income black communities anyway --

poor black communities are the easy target, like communists & retarded people in nazi germany. when these kind of things happen, they pick off the weakest targets first, and eventually the stronger targets are left isolated.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:05 AM

10. du rec. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 10:12 AM

11. Never ceases to amaze me that there is at least one poster here who thinks of Bloomie

as the ultimate liberal savior of us all

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread