HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Wow, a cartoonist actuall...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 01:50 AM

Wow, a cartoonist actually compared guns to Planned Parenthood?

I don't read the print version of my local paper but subscribe to the RSS feeds of the local news and letters to the editor sections. I noticed several letters complaining about a particular cartoon. So I ran a google search and what do I know...

(In fact my paper endorsed Obama for president and generally supports the liberal side of most issues but also publishes people like Charles Krauthammer or Victor Davis Hanson as well. And toons from hacks like Benson. Oh, not to mention that the Washington Post Writers Group employs both Krauthammer and Benson!)

One letter to be published Sunday says:

The artist equates women who make private decisions about their lives and their health (Planned Parenthood) with mass murderers who have picked up weapons to kill people in public spaces (gun violence). There is no comparison here, just vicious stupidity and ignorance.

Planned Parenthood has a long history of supporting women's health and choices, of which only a part is reproductive health. I have no doubt that without Planned Parenthood we would have a much higher abortion rate.

And Monday's LTTE section had two differing views. Decide for yourself which one was more rational.

The cartoon on the editorial page (Opinion, Jan. 11) was worth more than a thousand words to put into perspective the headlines of the day regarding lives lost to gun violence. Too many of course, but where is the public and government hysteria about the many more lives tossed through abortion which never receive media coverage, national mourning, or even acknowledgment of existence?

I was appalled at the Lisa Benson editorial cartoon (Opinion, Jan. 11). It is not only tasteless, but it is also divisive and vindictive. It continues the contention that Planned Parenthood is primarily an abortion provider when its primary focus is to provide health care for women of all ages in the areas of breast health, family planning and other health needs. Comparing gun violence to Planned Parenthood is a cop out. Please discontinue printing Lisa Benson's cartoons.

15 replies, 2000 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wow, a cartoonist actually compared guns to Planned Parenthood? (Original post)
alp227 Jan 2013 OP
Oakenshield Jan 2013 #1
OneTenthofOnePercent Jan 2013 #2
baldguy Jan 2013 #11
Trascoli Jan 2013 #3
LineLineNew Reply ?
Tunkamerica Jan 2013 #6
Viva_La_Revolution Jan 2013 #13
Tunkamerica Jan 2013 #15
Drunken Irishman Jan 2013 #4
Tunkamerica Jan 2013 #5
tavalon Jan 2013 #7
treestar Jan 2013 #8
dembotoz Jan 2013 #9
HughBeaumont Jan 2013 #10
The Straight Story Jan 2013 #12
sad-cafe Jan 2013 #14

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 01:57 AM

1. Good choice of words

Vicious stupidity and ignorance, that sums up Republicans perfectly.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 02:02 AM

2. Antis of all flavors are disgusting.nt

Reply to this post

Response to OneTenthofOnePercent (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 09:57 AM

11. I guess that includes the anti-gun control deatheaters, too?

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 02:04 AM

3. google

will do this

Reply to this post

Response to Trascoli (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 04:38 AM

6. ?

will it now?

Reply to this post

Response to Tunkamerica (Reply #6)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 01:14 PM

13. spam bot?

second two word post I've seen this morning... or..

Reply to this post

Response to Viva_La_Revolution (Reply #13)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:09 AM

15. it was his last post.

and he isn't wrong.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 02:11 AM

4. How 'bout one with a dorm shower and text that reads: Over 1 billion lives lost?

What a disgusting cartoon.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 04:37 AM

5. just sampling some of her other work...

and this is par for the course for her.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 08:38 AM

7. Alex, I'll take the number 2 answer for $1000

Geez, she is a hack and a tasteless, divisive, vindictive hack at that.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 08:44 AM

8. Even if a person is anti-choice

They should find this disgusting. It's not like the gun deaths are OK no matter how many abortions occur.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 08:50 AM

9. saw that on facebook a few days back and my response to the post was

that republicans are all up in arms about abortion but are perfectly ok with
the many thousands more who die becasue of the lack of affordable heathcare.....

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 09:43 AM

10. Lisa Benson = Wing Ding.

Her work isn't "ha ha funny", it's "You can't believe someone could be this daft and walk erect funny".

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 09:58 AM

12. Saw something similar on FB and posted it here, was hidden

Surprised this post is still here

Since that time several others have noted the rw drawing comparisons as well, something I predicted they would do and which I actually understand to some extent (as I am surrounded by rw family members - and no, I am not unfriending my family on FB so I will continue to get this stuff).

There are two mindsets here - one is the rw who sees abortion as something that does not need to happen since people have the choice to not have sex, to use birth control, etc. It is not really a health care choice in that view unless someone is raped (I would say rape and incest but to me incest is just another word for rape).

They see a fertilized egg as life and that life (unlike other lives for some damn reason) should not be taken/destroyed (if we look at the US as a mother and other countries as fertilized eggs though they don't care.....)

On the left side some see guns as killers. Less guns equals less death so ban guns. Both sides want to ban something that comes down to personal choice.

My house, my life, if I want to buy a gun that is my business. Your body, your choice on your medical decisions. Somewhere in the middle people meet up - you can't buy nukes and you can't abort after so many months, etc.

Finding a common ground where all parties can have what they desire seems to be a hard thing to discuss some places. It becomes less about an intellectual discussion and more about religion or feelings and absolutes. And that does not work in a society made up of hundreds of millions of people of varying beliefs/ideals.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 01:19 PM

14. This is so wrong

I hope there will be comments sent in about this.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread