HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mississippi Governor: ‘My...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 07:56 PM

Mississippi Governor: ‘My Goal Of Course Is To Shut Down’ The State’s Last Abortion Clinic

Today marks the deadline for Mississippi’s sole remaining abortion clinic, the Jackson Women’s Health Organization, to comply with the restrictive, unnecessary restrictions that the state’s Republican legislators imposed last summer. The new regulations require the clinic’s doctors to secure hospital admitting privileges, but all seven hospitals in the surrounding area have so far denied them. A Bush-appointed federal judge temporarily blocked the law to give the doctors more time to secure the privileges they need, but that order expires today.

In public, anti-choice advocates claim they support enacting additional regulations for abortion clinics as an important measure to protect women’s health and safety. But when Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant (R) attended an anti-abortion event on Thursday, he didn’t feel the need the sugarcoat his real motives for signing the restrictive measure into law last year:

“My goal of course is to shut it down,” Gov. Phil Bryant said after addressing a group of pastors attending a pro-life luncheon Thursday in Jackson.

The governor doesn’t have that authority. Instead, by Friday lawyers representing the state must file a response in federal court to a motion by the Jackson Women’s Health Organization.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/01/11/1434991/mississippi-governor-shut-down-clinic/

3 replies, 562 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mississippi Governor: ‘My Goal Of Course Is To Shut Down’ The State’s Last Abortion Clinic (Original post)
Galraedia Jan 2013 OP
CurtEastPoint Jan 2013 #1
Thinkingabout Jan 2013 #2
Sadiedog Jan 2013 #3

Response to Galraedia (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:24 PM

1. This guy just reeks of smarm and oozes hypocrisy...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:48 PM

2. He is a dictator, has his own agenda, nut cases, we have to take a stand against him.

I am amazed with those who believe in what is "constitution" if it serves their purpose. I wonder how many gun dealers he has attempted to shut down, or any other business which deals in fire arms. Don't mess with their rights to bear arms but the Supreme Court ruling making abortions legal is fair game for this bunch. They believe in forced birth and overlook the gun nuts trying to abort lives.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:51 PM

3. and most certainly vote against anything that supports the poor! nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread