HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Prosecutor as bully (Aaro...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 04:49 PM

Prosecutor as bully (Aaron Swartz story)

From Lessig Blog:

Since his arresting the early morning of January 11, 2011 — two years to the day before Aaron Swartz ended his life — I have known more about the events that began this spiral than I have wanted to know. Aaron consulted me as a friend and lawyer that morning. He shared with me what went down and why, and I worked with him to get help. When my obligations to Harvard created a conflict that made it impossible for me to continue as a lawyer, I continued as a friend. Not a good enough friend, no doubt, but nothing was going to draw that friendship into doubt.

The billions of snippets of sadness and bewilderment spinning across the Net confirm who this amazing boy was to all of us. But as I’ve read these aches, there’s one strain I wish we could resist:

Please don’t pathologize this story.

No doubt it is a certain crazy that brings a person as loved as Aaron was loved (and he was surrounded in NY by people who loved him) to do what Aaron did. It angers me that he did what he did. But if we’re going to learn from this, we can’t let slide what brought him here.

First, of course, Aaron brought Aaron here. As I said when I wrote about the case (when obligations required I say something publicly), if what the government alleged was true — and I say “if” because I am not revealing what Aaron said to me then — then what he did was wrong. And if not legally wrong, then at least morally wrong. The causes that Aaron fought for are my causes too. But as much as I respect those who disagree with me about this, these means are not mine.

But all this shows is that if the government proved its case, some punishment was appropriate. So what was that appropriate punishment? Was Aaron a terrorist? Or a cracker trying to profit from stolen goods? Or was this something completely different?

more
http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/40347463044/prosecutor-as-bully

8 replies, 903 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Prosecutor as bully (Aaron Swartz story) (Original post)
n2doc Jan 2013 OP
GeorgeGist Jan 2013 #1
WillyT Jan 2013 #2
WillyT Jan 2013 #3
n2doc Jan 2013 #4
WillyT Jan 2013 #5
chieftain Jan 2013 #6
proverbialwisdom Jan 2013 #8
NPolitics1979 Jan 2013 #7

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 05:22 PM

1. Great line:

For remember, we live in a world where the architects of the financial crisis regularly dine at the White House — and where even those brought to “justice” never even have to admit any wrongdoing, let alone be labeled “felons.”

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:56 PM

2. K & R !!!

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 01:53 PM

4. Thanks! n/t

Reply to this post

Response to n2doc (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 02:47 PM

5. Anytime...

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:23 PM

6. What a travesty.

Chris Hayes spoke about this on Up this am.

Reply to this post

Response to chieftain (Reply #6)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:53 PM

8. Just read they were friends and fellows together at the Harvard Center for Ethics.

http://crookedtimber.org/2012/06/18/guest-review-by-aaron-swartz-chris-hayes-the-twilight-of-the-elites/

Guest Review by Aaron Swartz: Chris Hayes’ The Twilight of The Elites

by Aaron Swartz on June 18, 2012

...Now, as I said, I think Hayes is broadly correct in his analysis. And I think his proposed solution is spot on as well—when we were fellows together at the Harvard Center for Ethics, I think we annoyed everyone else with our repeated insistence that reducing economic inequality was somehow always the appropriate solution to each of the many social ills the group identified.

Found while looking for UP video from this morning's show: http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/01/13/the-brilliant-mind-righteous-heart-of-aaron-swartz-will-be-missed/

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:47 PM

7. We need to have a commission that is willing to investigate the US Attorney's office in every state

that engage in overzealous prosecution for minor/non violent crimes- when the alleged victim is a wealthy corporation.
We should pass a constitutional amendment banning prosecutors from seeking higher elected office until 5 years after they leave the prosecutors office.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread