HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Oracle Corp to fix Java s...

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:57 PM

Oracle Corp to fix Java security flaw "shortly"

Source: Reuters

Oracle Corp to fix Java security flaw "shortly"

By Jim Finkle
BOSTON | Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15pm EST

(Reuters) - Oracle Corp said it is preparing an update to address a flaw in its widely used Java software after the U.S. Department of Homeland Security urged computer users to disable the program in web browsers because criminal hackers are exploiting a security bug to attack PCs.

"A fix will be available shortly," the company said in a statement released late on Friday.

Company officials could not be reached on Saturday to say how quickly the update would be available for the hundreds of millions of PCs that have Java installed.

The Department of Homeland Security and computer security experts said on Thursday that hackers figured out how to exploit the bug in a version of Java used with Internet browsers to install malicious software on PCs. That has enabled them to commit crimes from identity theft to making an infected computer part of an ad-hoc computer network that can be used to attack websites.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/12/us-usa-java-security-idUSBRE90B0EX20130112

3 replies, 1481 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Oracle Corp to fix Java security flaw "shortly" (Original post)
Eugene Jan 2013 OP
Buzz Clik Jan 2013 #1
Logical Jan 2013 #2
CountAllVotes Jan 2013 #3

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:09 PM

1. Frickin' amazing.

I get Java updates constantly, and at work it's a total pain in the butt because I have no admin rights on my desktop. I have to call the IT guy who signs in, clicks the link, and off it goes.

So, bunches of updates, and they missed this? And now that it's here, we can look forward to yet another update but sometime in the future?

I wonder if people disabling their Java is hurting business.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:11 PM

2. Java is a pain in the ass. Constant updates, 100s of versions.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:40 PM

3. My infected ThinkPad just snapped up a security update

Date of update January 2013.

I hope this fixes it. It is a god damned nightmare from hell and I'm wondering if my laptop is a goner.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread