HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Windows 8".......
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:12 PM

"Windows 8"....DU'ers who are interested need to go HERE:

Some Interesting Info going on with this Post in our DU GROUP: "Computer Help" that might interest all of us who know we are going to need a new Computer in next few years...and WHAT ABOUT ..."WIN 8" for those of us who aren't using APPLE and don't want to SWITCH to APPLE.

HERE: Videos and Stuff...even for the Computer Novice or folks who "are just getting along"...the Whole Damn System is CHANGING....You need to get over there...even if you are as Computer compromised as I am. Gotta Learn..more stuff..... Sigh.

LINK: First Post is: "Get drunk and learn Windows 8" and GOOD STUFF MORE for "The Serious!"

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10954127

12 replies, 1171 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Windows 8"....DU'ers who are interested need to go HERE: (Original post)
KoKo Jan 2013 OP
newfie11 Jan 2013 #1
KoKo Jan 2013 #2
spockeye Jan 2013 #3
DJ13 Jan 2013 #4
LineLineLineNew Reply +
struggle4progress Jan 2013 #5
KoKo Jan 2013 #8
KoKo Jan 2013 #6
DJ13 Jan 2013 #7
Warpy Jan 2013 #11
Warpy Jan 2013 #9
KoKo Jan 2013 #12
WhoIsNumberNone Jan 2013 #10

Response to KoKo (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:14 PM

1. Thanks just got a windows 8 nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to newfie11 (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:21 PM

2. Probably some good tips there for you and for YOU to post about your experience

over there. One of us has dying Laptop...and we are trying to learn what we can before we have to deal with it.

Please post over there your experiences. The Videos there might also be good for you unless (like many DU'ers ...you are a Tech Wizard and don't need help like some of us...and so it's all good for you).

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:28 PM

3. IMHO:

Switch to Apple. You'll be happy for the next 10 years.

Reply to this post

Response to spockeye (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:36 PM

4. Switch to Linux, its free

Reply to this post

Response to DJ13 (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:43 PM

5. +

Also switching Linux doesn't automatically commit you to playing certain endless games, like "which fucking connector do I need today, and how much do I have to spend to get it?"

The hell of Apple video connectors
... The red is for MacBook Air, because it has a micro DVI connector. The green is for the MacBook, because it has a mini DVI connector. The yellow is for the recent MacBook Pros, because they have a mini DisplayPort connector. The blue is for the old style MacBook Pros, because they have a Apple DVI connector ... http://blog.jgc.org/2009/10/hell-of-apple-video-connectors.html

Reply to this post

Response to struggle4progress (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:56 PM

8. Would be lovely but we can't even get Windows to work with Germany, France, England

for our business. And we are "Med/Tech." All use Windows.....but trying to get their Tech to work with our Tech connections is very difficult. You have to understand we are small business working in MED/TECH...and we need connectivity and ability to do Webinars/Skype/have E-Mail Flow for Conferences, etc.

UNIX will not work for us.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:49 PM

6. Our Small Business is forced to use Microsoft.....(And...YES IT SUCKS) We

work with International Companies. Getting the two to work together is a disaster we keep trying to work through.

Apple doesn't work for what we need to do in Med/Tech...for what we need...systems aren't compatible. We would wish there would be a simple, coordinated solution...but, the countries are in "Morph Time. with working towards compatibility in software and systems."

We are hoping to survive this... We likely won't.

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:51 PM

7. Actually, Im on Windows

I just like giving the "I overpaid for an Intel PC 'cuz its pretty" crowd a bad time.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:57 PM

11. Linux is getting better every single year

but it's still too geeky for most average users.

Given a choice between Win8 and Linux, though, give me Linux.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:56 PM

9. Thanks, that group needs a lot more DU love

and there's a lot of good information about coping (or not) with Win8. The best news about that OS is that it isn't quite the resource hog Win7 is. IMO, that's about the only good news.

I've been sending people to places that are still selling refurbished XP and Win 7 computers.

Their best OS to date was XP, rock stable and easy to use. Win7 had too many "features" that are still driving me nuts. I will not be going to Win 8. I'll see whatever its successor is like.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:23 PM

12. I'm Win XP...and I'm worried they will finally pry it from my "cold, dead fingers' if

my system goes down...It's old..first XP and my primary Desktop for WORK. I have an HP Notebook with Win 7...and it's frustrating...just use it on the road...and while I've adapted between the two...the ME is so much easier to deal with.

One of us is going to have to get the WIN 8...because one laptop for work is on it's last legs......and so i know we are going to have to learn to deal...but...it's difficult enough these days and to deal with a "Tablet Format" with Win 8 ...METRO...is going to cause our small business which can't afford to have a paid for 'round the clock" IT Administrator...lot of business. Along with the fact that the coordination with our International Business is having so many difficulties with just the Software we use that is made for "small business" and full of incompatibilities while the FAT CAT BIG HONCHOS have all the Advantages. It's so bad I worry we can keep up since our budget is being drained with trying to get any Tech Folks to deal with this since we can't afford to pay them Big Bucks to be on Call year round.

Anyway......Agree that DU Computer Help has some good stuff and it's helped me through the years here on DU to be able to ask questions there way before we had Google Help and the stuff like "E-How." The "DU Group" does need some Love as long as we understand that not all the help there might be free of "folks with "outside" interests with some other agenda who stop in from time to time.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:57 PM

10. Ugh. I guess my next computer's going to have to be a Mac.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread