HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » :(
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:12 PM

:( :::::::::::::::: Warning... (From A Couple Of Years Ago)

8-year-old shoots self with Uzi

15 replies, 1274 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:14 PM

1. I always wondered how dad explained it to his mom

Builds character, or something.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:14 PM

2. Won't watch but daddy did give him ear muffs

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:46 PM

11. For protection.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:15 PM

3. Well, if that child were of age, then he ought to be held accountable.

And put to death. Such stupidity. That 8-year-old gives gun owners a bad name.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:16 PM

4. I was just talking about this case today with a co-worker.

Incredibly sad. IIRC the child was handed the Uzi by a teenager who was volunteering at the expo, while the father watched. Why a parent would think that this was a safe thing for a child to handle I can't imagine. Why the gun club would think that it was safe to let teenagers determine who could fire weapons like Uzis I can't imagine.

To me this case exemplifies what is wrong with the gun culture in this country.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:17 PM

5. This happened very close to where I lived in MA...

The gun instructor who set up the whole thing was a goofball who was known as being reckless.

He famously shot off a handgun accidentally during a gun safety workshop in a city building.

My karate sensei (and handgun instructor) had nothing but contempt for him.

Reply to this post

Response to Bonobo (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:18 PM

6. That explains the answers to some of my questions. I'm not surprised.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:42 PM

10. Wow, I even found a citation for the previous accidental discharge (rifle, not handgun)

http://www.copblock.org/7058/ex-pelham-ma-police-chiefs-trial-to-be-aired/

But even just a cursory investigation would have turned up evidence of Fleury’s lack of judgement in the safe handling of firearms, for which he was disciplined in 2003, after accidentally discharging a rifle during a gun safety demonstration. Maybe it would have changed Bizilj’s mind. Maybe not.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/pelhams_police_chief_who_ran_w.html

Fleury is also the owner of COP Firearms & Training, which co-sponsored the event at the Westfield Sportsman's Club where Christopher Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., died after accidentally shooting himself in the head. Over the course of his career as chief, Fleury has taught gun safety classes in town and also conducted a gun safety class for kindergartners at the town's elementary school.

Messages left by a reporter at the Police Department and on Fleury's cell phone were not returned. Although office hours were posted as 1 to 5 p.m. at the police station, no one answered the door there. A light could be seen from outside, but tall sheets of paper blocked the view from out back of the station.

Selectmen, who five years ago took administrative action against Fleury for an incident in which a rifle discharged during a safety class, have scheduled an emergency meeting Thursday at 1 p.m. at Town Hall to "straighten this out," according to board member Edward C. Martin.

Martin said the board will issue a statement to townspeople pointing out that Fleury was involved at the expo on his own time and conducting his own business.

"It was a tragic accident," Martin said.

He said he heard that the chief was taking the rest of the week off for vacation "because of the attention."

He said reporters have been parked at Fleury's house and "he's not very happy."

In 2003, Fleury wrote a letter of apology to residents after he discharged a loaded rifle during a firearms safety class. Selectmen had met in executive session to talk about the discharge but refused to release information about it. They said only the situation had been "handled." The chief pledged he would take additional safety steps to ensure such an incident did not recur.

The sportsman's club, in cooperation with Fleury's COP Firearms & Training, which maintains a post-office box address in Amherst, has held the expo since 2002. It has been well attended, drawing young and old alike.

"We let people have an outlet to see and to fire some of the guns that they've seen in the movies, or on the History Channel, or other events that involve firearms," Fleury said at the 2005 show. "People get to go in line with an instructor, learn to fire guns and enjoy them in a safe environment, where they get to do one thing: shoot pumpkins."

At the 2003 show, he spoke of the machine guns being used by visitors, saying, "If Custer had one of those, Little Big Horn would have changed."

Fleury is a 1981 graduate of the Westfield State College criminal justice program. From June 1987 to June 1991 he was a full-time police officer at Western New England College, working as part-time chief for the town until he asked that his job be made full-time.

His annual salary listed on the 2007 annual report was $51,438.

Reply to this post

Response to Bonobo (Reply #10)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:55 AM

12. He's the police chief?????

These people are crazy. By that I mean a whole lot of people in that community. Gun safety classes for kindergartners? "Accidentally" discharging a rifle during a firearms safety class? Why was it loaded?

This man wouldn't be able to do all these things if a significant number of people didn't enable and encourage him. And the jury found him not guilty of the death of the child.

Reply to this post

Response to yardwork (Reply #12)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:59 AM

13. Small towns... what can I say?

The fact that that turd of a man could be the police chief is ridiculous.

Reply to this post

Response to Bonobo (Reply #13)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:02 AM

14. I grew up in one, so I understand.

It looks like he's not the chief of police anymore, though. Maybe the current chief is sane:

http://www.pelhampolicema.com/

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:22 PM

7. I can't watch that.

Reply to this post

Response to Scuba (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:26 PM

8. The video doesn't show the boy being hit. It's mostly commentary.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:33 PM

9. The show organizer was found not-guilty in the trial...

A former police chief was found not guilty Friday of involuntary manslaughter in the 2008 death of an 8-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself with a micro Uzi machine gun during a gun show.

Former Pelham, Massachusetts, Police Chief Edward Fleury, 53, was also acquitted of three counts of furnishing a machine gun to a minor in connection with the show that he helped organize. It was held at the Westfield Sportsman's Club in Westfield, Massachusetts.

During the gun show, 8-year-old Christopher Bizilj was firing the micro Uzi when he accidentally shot himself in the head. He died instantly.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-14/justice/massachusetts.gun.show.verdict_1_christopher-bizilj-westfield-sportsman-s-club-gun-show

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:11 AM

15. The father, the gun show promotor and the police chief should all be liable in this tragedy

Absolutely horrific bad judgement on an epic scale by all those allowed that little boy to handle and fire that weapon.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread