HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Piers Morgan: "How d...

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:20 PM

Piers Morgan: "How dare you. How dare you. How dare you."

First he had Mark Kelly on his show talking about banning assault weapons.

Then he had some guy named Ben Shapiro on who accused Piers of "dancing on the graves of the Sandy Hook victims." Then he threw a copy of the Constitution at Piers and told him to read the 2nd Amendment.

Piers said "How dare you."

This Shapiro guy has written a book called "Bullying" about "how the Left demonizes those who disagree with them".

Piers called him out on his right-left polarization of gun control. Shapiro said you should keep assault weapons out of the hands of "bad people". Piers asked him if Nancy Lanza was a bad person. He said "Not bad but irresponsible".

Piers also quoted Ronald Reagan on banning assault weapons. He asked Shapiro why he needed assault weapons, and he finally admitted to protect himself from the tyranny of the government.

Surprise, he acted like a bully and works for Breitbart.

What a piece of work.

22 replies, 2502 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply Piers Morgan: "How dare you. How dare you. How dare you." (Original post)
Manifestor_of_Light Jan 2013 OP
99th_Monkey Jan 2013 #1
Voice for Peace Jan 2013 #16
99th_Monkey Jan 2013 #21
frylock Jan 2013 #2
ellisonz Jan 2013 #11
krispos42 Jan 2013 #3
Enrique Jan 2013 #6
krispos42 Jan 2013 #9
Manifestor_of_Light Jan 2013 #10
krispos42 Jan 2013 #13
loose wheel Jan 2013 #17
Bolo Boffin Jan 2013 #7
Buzz Clik Jan 2013 #4
quinnox Jan 2013 #5
Manifestor_of_Light Jan 2013 #8
ecstatic Jan 2013 #19
spanone Jan 2013 #12
grasswire Jan 2013 #14
Larrymoe Curlyshemp Jan 2013 #15
ecstatic Jan 2013 #18
ProfessionalLeftist Jan 2013 #20
Buns_of_Fire Jan 2013 #22

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:25 PM

1. This is becoming a freak-show of loonies burbling to the surface, guns a'blazing.

both literally and metaphorically.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 99th_Monkey (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:31 AM

16. that's so well said

"loonies burbling to the surface"

Reply to this post

Response to Voice for Peace (Reply #16)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:22 AM

21. :-) -nt

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:27 PM

2. he should have read 2A on the air..

reiterating the first clause over and over and over.

Reply to this post

Response to frylock (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:07 PM

11. The Gungeon crowd think "well-regulated" doesn't mean regulated...

...but rather "well-equipped" - it's like 1984 with these people - words have lost their meaning.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:36 PM

3. The power of the term "assault weapon"

Impressive, isn't it? It's like "terrorism". A powerful trump card, and if you challenge it's use, you sound defensive and weak. A power trump card that gets expanded year after year, until people that want to boycott Chick-Fil-A are now "economic terrorists". And modern, ergonomic guns that shoot a 60-year-old rifle cartridge of moderate power are "assault weapons".

Can Piers Morgan even define assault weapon?

Reply to this post

Response to krispos42 (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:45 PM

6. it is a useful term, imo

for purposes of discussion, it doesn't have to be defined very precisely.

Reply to this post

Response to Enrique (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:03 PM

9. "assault" is, in typical conversation, a negative term describing an act by criminals.

Sexual assault. Assault and battery. Vehicular assault. Aggravated assault.

"Assault weapon" also has several specific, if arbitrary, legal definitions which many people are not aware of. For example, an "assault weapon" can be a rifle, a shotgun, or a handgun. But you say "assault weapon", and people immediately think of an AK-47 or an AR-15, which are rifles.

If I owned a rifle for self-defense, it would be a "tactical" rifle. It may or may not be an "assault weapon", depending on what kind of gun it is and what kind of secondary features it has. But it would be optimized for self-defense.

If I had a tactical lever-action rifle, done in flat black, with mounting rails for lasers and flashlights, and it had a quick-adjusting buttstock, and a bayonet mount, it would, could not, be an "assault weapon". Not even if it took a detachable magazine of up to 30 rounds. But it is definitely optimized for self-defense. It is "tactical".

But if I had an AR-15 with the same features, it's an "assault weapon" in some states.

Reply to this post

Response to krispos42 (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:06 PM

10. I think they meant semi-automatic.

In that you have to pull the trigger each time it fires a bullet, which can be easily modified.

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #10)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:18 PM

13. That would be morally and logically consistent

However, Feinstein's proposed new ban specifically exempts hundreds of semiautomatic firearms by name. Which, again, is BS. Put in specific characteristics.

It also says you can have semi-automatics as long as they have NO "military" features from a specific list. So you can have your semi-auto, as long as it looks like a Ruger Mini-14 instead of an AR-15. You can have your semiautomatic .223 rifle fed from a 30-round detachable magazine... as long as it doesn't have a protruding pistol grip.

And it's pretty much an urban myth that semi-autos can be easily modified to fire full-auto. You need to acquire or fabricate parts and modify the receiver of the gun. The parts are controlled as if they were a machine gun themselves, and making them yourself requires knowledge and some sort of machine shop. While it's doubtless done on occasion, nobody really bothers. Why? It's a stiff federal penalty, and where can you bring your rifle to practice? Very few ranges let you shoot full-auto, and you can bet the rangemaster will want to see your papers if you show up with your illegally-modified rifle.

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:38 AM

17. Easily modified?

No, it can not be easily modified. They may like to make that statement over and over again on shows like CSI and Law & Order, but Hollywood doesn't know much at all about firearms.

I suspect that you are referring to modifying the bolt so that a semi-automatic weapon becomes fully automatic. That is pure fiction. Making a mofication of that variety would result in a weapon that is very likely to explode in the hands of it's user or fire uncontrollably after the first round is chambered.

If someone were to seek to modify such a weapon, he would require a specific skill set to make the correct modifications which are not "easy".

I grew up firing semi-automatic fire arms. I have taught firearm safety and marksmanship. I shoot in four or five matches every year. I thoughly enjoy it. I might not know everything about every firearm but in general, I do know quite a bit them.

Reply to this post

Response to krispos42 (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:47 PM

7. I agree that "assault weapon" can be a poorly-defined term, but

it's not in Feinstein's proposed ban:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of 120 specifically-named firearms, certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, or shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:39 PM

4. It's becoming clear that the gun freaks know less about the Constitution than your average 10-yo

I cannot help but be stunned by these people. They feel that they can make anyone who opposes them piss themselves by shouting and acting tough.

I love to debate these fucking cowards. Too often, one will ask me, "Why are you so afraid? Do you think your average gun owner is going to hurt you?"

My response is consistent: "I cannot imagine being so afraid that I would need to accumulate firearms."

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:42 PM

5. the gun fanatics are being exposed as being plumb crazy

by Piers Morgan on his show, good for him. The suggestions of having armed teachers in classrooms full of children, the insane rants such as this one by this latest gun obsessor/fanatic on his show is doing great PR for the gun control side.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:56 PM

8. There was a woman teacher on Ed Schultz's show who wanted a gun in her classroom.

Wednesday night. She was in utah and taught elementary school special education.

Her name is Carolyn Cain. Ed is talking about her again tonight. I'm catching the ten o'clock rerun. She can carry a gun in a classroom in Utah.She said "a parent doesn't have to know" if a teacher carries.

She said the parents "don't have a right to know". Because she's had the right to carry one for 12 years.

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 01:01 AM

19. Scary. Her answers were so alarming

She isn't fit to handle a gun in any setting, much less around children. And now all of America knows there is a teacher who they can steal a gun from.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:13 PM

12. these people are unhinged...i fear a teevee shooting.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:18 AM

14. no one will touch the topic: the guns are for the war against gov't.

I saw Chris Matthews speak about this for just several sentences a couple of weeks ago. And apparently it was spoken on Piers Morgan tonight. Otherwise, ignored.

They *need* the assault weapons and the magazines to be armed as well as LEO.

That is the truth of what's happening here.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:30 AM

15. Rec

(Surprised there aren't more, actually.)

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:56 AM

18. the irony is, I don't think his guest would pass

the mental screening that he's advocating for.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 01:12 AM

20. Some of these NRA dopes are so blinkered. CORPORATE tyranny is the real issue.

And guns won't solve it.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 02:38 AM

22. In watching Alex Jones' performance, I didn't see "bullying" as much

as I saw pure terror. Of what? Of anything. Of EVERYTHING. The more rabid they are, the more you can see them gripping their AR-15s and 30-round magazines as tightly as Linus held to his security blanket. It's their "equalizer" and don't you DARE suggest that they stand out there, naked and afraid.

Rational thought doesn't work on a person in the grips of bowel-emptying fear.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread