HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Can You HELP SOLVE A Dese...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:14 PM

Can You HELP SOLVE A Desert Mystery?

What did Google Earth spot in the Chinese desert?

/

Since Google Earth launched in 2005, there have been dozens of mysterious images (supposed planes and bunkers, even the face of Jesus) captured by the satellites used for the virtual mapping program. But according to Allen Thomson, this one may be the weirdest.
Thomson, a former CIA analyst, was recently using Google Earth while searching for an orbital tracking site in southwestern China when he spotted something strange constructed in the middle of the Kashgar desert.

"I haven't the faintest clue what it might be," Thomson wrote in an email to Wired. "But it's extensive, the structures are pretty big and funny-looking, and it went up in what Id call an incredible hurry." Thomson, who served in the CIA from 1972 to 1985, "has made something of a second career finding odd stuff in public satellite imagery," according to Wired. The website explains:

He discovered these giant grids etched into the Chinese desert in 2011, and a suspected underground missile bunker in Iran in 2008. When the Israeli Air Force destroyed a mysterious facility in Syria the year before, Thomson put together an 812-page dossier on the so-called "Box on the Euphrates." Old analyst habits die hard, it seems.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/01/google-earth-china-hunh/?pid=1744

Wired is soliciting theories from readers to pass along to Thomson; but at this point, the desert structure remains a mystery.
Theorizing about unexplained images from Google Earth has become a global parlor game. In 2007, a Google Earth user spotted what was initially thought to be a cruise missile flying over a Utah desert. Others claimed it was simply a "jet airliner with dark-colored wings."

In 2010, a Brooklyn-based photographer discovered an image of what appeared to be a commercial airplane hidden in a housing complex in Bushwick. (Some users claimed it was a film set; others thought it was simply a low-flying plane caught by Google's satellite.)

cont'

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/google-earth-chinese-desert-mystery-155557314.html

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/01/google-earth-china-hunh/?pid=1744

10 replies, 1548 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Can You HELP SOLVE A Desert Mystery? (Original post)
Segami Jan 2013 OP
Warpy Jan 2013 #1
Fumesucker Jan 2013 #2
sharp_stick Jan 2013 #3
DisgustipatedinCA Jan 2013 #4
LisaLynne Jan 2013 #9
scarletwoman Jan 2013 #5
politicat Jan 2013 #6
Segami Jan 2013 #8
reteachinwi Jan 2013 #7
pa28 Jan 2013 #10

Response to Segami (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:21 PM

1. I'll take a wild guess

road going up on the far left is to a dormitory complex. Road in the center is to a mining operation. Road to the large building on the right is to a refining and distribution operation since there is a large area that's big enough for huge trucks to turn around in.

The distance between the dormitory/apartment complex and the mining area and especially the refining/shipping area make me suspect they're mining uranium.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:31 PM

2. I have no idea what it is but some of the comments at Wired sound just like DU

And the usual crew of clueless literalists totally missing weapons grade snark.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:36 PM

3. It's not really in the middle of the Desert

it's only a few miles NE of a city called Kashgar.

It doesn't look like huge security unless the whole area is closed like the Soviets used to do so my best guess is some form of mining operation.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:38 PM

4. My best guess: underground Twinkie baking facility

They're coming back, you know.

Reply to this post

Response to DisgustipatedinCA (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 05:12 PM

9. ...

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:53 PM

5. Well, I'm not much of a dessert expert, but I would say the top layer resembles blancmange.

The ridges along the side appear to be from the mould in which it was set. The blue spots, however, would deter me from consuming it.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:58 PM

6. My first guess is borax mining.

It's near Kushgar, which was a Silk Road oasis. It's really dry in the region, which is a good indicator if borax. The region (if Wikipedia can be believed) has the right geological conditions for borax, and the first major deposit was found not (geologically) far away in Tibet. It gets used in everything from textiles to soldering, so keeping annual production secret makes some sense if you're a paranoid country with a long history of repression.

Reply to this post

Response to politicat (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 05:11 PM

8. Interesting hypothesis. I like your viewpoint.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 05:08 PM

7. Richard Hoagland

would be more fun to read than you guys.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 05:21 PM

10. That's intriguing. I'm going to go with a Yucca Mtn. style nuclear disposal site.

If you look it up on google earth you can see pits in the bowl just to the north of the buildings.

At Hanford they have a similar area where old reactor and submarine sections are buried.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread