HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NFL star Junior Seau suff...

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 01:51 PM

NFL star Junior Seau suffered from brain disease often associated with repeated blows to the head

By BARRY WILNER
Associated Press
January 10, 2013

Junior Seau, one of the NFL's best and fiercest players for two decades, suffered from a degenerative brain disease often associated with repeated blows to the head when he committed suicide last May, the National Institutes of Health said in a study released Thursday.

The NIH, based in Bethesda, Md., said Seau's brain revealed abnormalities consistent with chronic traumatic encephalopathy or CTE. It said that the study included unidentified brains, one of which was Seau's, and that the findings on Seau were similar to autopsies of people "with exposure to repetitive head injuries."

Seau's family requested the analysis of his brain.

The star linebacker played for 20 NFL seasons with San Diego, Miami and New England before retiring in 2009. He died of a self-inflicted shotgun wound.

He joins a list of several dozen football players who were found to have CTE. Boston University's center for study of the disease reported last month that 34 former pro players and nine who played only college football suffered from CTE.

More: http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=18178139

11 replies, 746 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply NFL star Junior Seau suffered from brain disease often associated with repeated blows to the head (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 OP
Mnemosyne Jan 2013 #1
Control-Z Jan 2013 #3
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #2
Jenoch Jan 2013 #4
lynne Jan 2013 #5
Jenoch Jan 2013 #6
lynne Jan 2013 #7
nachosgrande Jan 2013 #9
Jenoch Jan 2013 #10
SoCalDem Jan 2013 #8
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #11

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:01 PM

1. I wonder if they have ever tested physically abused women for these abnormalities. Just a thought.

Thanks for thread, UL!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mnemosyne (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:36 PM

3. I'm curious too.

I've had killer migraines my entire life (not to mention, depression). Though it was mostly as a child, I've suffered more blows to the head than I could ever count. It makes me wonder.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:22 PM

2. flag football

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:42 PM

4. This issue scares the crap out of the NFL.

There are many NFL alumni with brain injuries.

Reply to this post

Response to Jenoch (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:50 PM

5. Not just the NFL -

- a friend was recently diagnosed with a form of dementia that the physician linked to the 8 concussions that he incurred while playing high school football. High School! The guy is in his mid-30's. I can't imagine what impact this will have on his future. Really sad.

Reply to this post

Response to lynne (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:33 PM

6. How old is your friend?

I played high school football but since I was on the interior line on offense and defense (at 200 lbs.) I didn't take the hits that a QB, RB, or receiver does.

Reply to this post

Response to Jenoch (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 06:57 PM

7. He's in his mid-30's, I think about 36 -

- I don't know what position he played but he played JV and Varsity football in school. He'd been having some general problems and recently had a seizure that sent him to the ER. After that episode, he was diagnosed with a specific type of dementia that's related to head injuries. Said he knows of 8 concussions he had during his football years. Concussions in young people has now become a hot topic, guess because they're now being diagnosed in their 30's and 40's, etc. with problems.

Reply to this post

Response to Jenoch (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:17 PM

9. Don't mean to scare you

but google Mike Webster or Kyle Turley. Both of these guys were offensive linemen that suffer(ed) from CTE. Outside of kickers/punters and maybe cover cornerbacks, pretty much any position player is susceptible as long as they are making repetitive contact with another player.

Reply to this post

Response to nachosgrande (Reply #9)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:42 PM

10. I remember reading about

Mike Webster's situation. I'm not worried about dementia from traumatic head injuries. I don't believe I ever 'got my bell rung' while playing football.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:01 PM

8. Most football players don't even know how many times

they've had their "melon thumped", since most of them started playing as 8 or 9 yr old kids

Helmets help, but a thump is a thump..

and many of these kids are multiple-sport kids.. soccer and football-full-contact basketball.. there is a lot of physicality in adolescent male growing up years.. The damage is cumulative..and they are afraid to "sit out" or someone else takes their spot

Reply to this post

Response to SoCalDem (Reply #8)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:00 PM

11. Our brains weren't meant to deal with that kind of punishment.

Between Pop Warner, high school, college and pro football, I wonder what the true numbers are.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread