HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Frank Backs Markey For Se...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:31 AM

Frank Backs Markey For Senate, Says Capuano Probably Won’t Run

http://www.wbur.org/2013/01/10/frank-backs-markey

BOSTON — Recently retired Congressman Barney Frank is supporting Rep. Ed Markey’s run for Senate. Rep. Markey has announced he will run for Sen. John Kerry’s seat if Kerry is confirmed as secretary of state.

Frank praised Markey’s leadership on two issues.

“He was a leader in gun control when we were in the legislature together in the 1970s,” Frank said. “And he has since that time been a very important leader, one of the national leaders, on the whole question of climate change.”

When asked why he was supporting Markey over Democratic Rep. Mike Capuano, of Somerville, Frank said he was backing Markey because “Capuano is probably not running.”

A source close to Rep. Capuano also thinks he won’t run. Last month, after Markey was endorsed by Sen. Kerry and Vicki Kennedy, Capuano released a statement saying that it seemed “the big names of our party are trying to choose our nominee for us.”

The congressman was not available for comment.

Rep. Stephen Lynch is also considering running for Kerry’s seat, as is state Sen. Ben Downing, who expects to announce a decision this week.

2 replies, 337 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Frank Backs Markey For Senate, Says Capuano Probably Won’t Run (Original post)
Mass Jan 2013 OP
MADem Jan 2013 #1
sadbear Jan 2013 #2

Response to Mass (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:36 AM

1. Markey's leadership on gun control is almost, dare I say, providential.

The endorsements are lining up with Markey, and he is a good, solid, feet on the ground, ready to run choice. I can understand Capuano's frustration, but this isn't the time for a knock-down, drag out on the D side. We know the competition is likely Naked Boy Scottie, and likely without competition.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mass (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:39 AM

2. I like Markey, too.

From what I've seen and heard of him, he seems like a steady and solid liberal.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread