HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Music Icon Lester Chamber...

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:20 AM

Music Icon Lester Chambers goes from Homeless to Hero again Thanks to Reddit, Kickstarter & Some Swe

Music Icon Lester Chambers goes from Homeless to Hero again Thanks to Reddit, Kickstarter & Some Sweet Relief

Lester Chambers is now 72 years old. He has been performing professionally for 60 years. The highlight of his career was from 1965 to the early 70's when he was a member of The Chambers Brothers. The band charted hit records, performed on The Ed Sullivan Show and played stages around the world in front of thousands of fans.

In 2010, after surviving cancer on three separate occasions, Lester Chambers found himself homeless. Dwindling royalties and illness had caught up with the career musician. To make matters worse, he was losing his sight due to cataracts.

The first rays of hope came in the form of concerned family, a national musician's charity and a benevolent artist and friend. Rob Max, Executive Director of Sweet Relief Musicians Fund was contacted by a member of the Chambers family and passed along a number where Mr. Chambers could be contacted.

"Our first goal when speaking to Lester was to determine his medical urgency" said Max. "Besides his deteriorating vision, Lester was dealing with numerous medical issues that medicare was not covering adequately. In addition, he was sleeping on an air mattress in a house under construction with no roof."

Lester Chambers also shared with Sweet Relief a list of music friends he had acquired over the years. That list contained one particular name that became a life saving angel, Yoko Ono Lennon. "I had a wonderful friendship with John & Yoko many years ago, they were such sweet and wonderful people" said Chambers. "I hoped that some of the names I shared with Mr. Max might let music fans know about my situation. I never dreamed so much generosity would come from one person." Donations from Yoko Ono to Sweet Relief Musicians Fund exceeded $20,000 and were used to pay for medical treatment, prescriptions and housing for Mr. Chambers.

Fast forward to summer 2012. A second angel enter the life of Lester Chambers. Alexis Ohanian, Co-Founder of Reddit, had seen recent news of Lester Chambers' struggles and ongoing challenges to identify and receive recording royalties dating back decades. Ohanian and his charitable endeavor, BreadPig devised a project on Kickstarter that would allow Lester to record new music and raise the funds to do so. The Lester Chambers Kickstarter project, Time Has Come, was budgeted at $39,000. To date over $60,000 has been pledged.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/Music-Icon-Lester-Chambers-goes-from-Homeless-to-4178796.php#ixzz2HXynn95v

6 replies, 814 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Music Icon Lester Chambers goes from Homeless to Hero again Thanks to Reddit, Kickstarter & Some Swe (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Jan 2013 OP
DonCoquixote Jan 2013 #1
Unknown Beatle Jan 2013 #2
joshcryer Jan 2013 #6
Vestigial_Sister Jan 2013 #3
Cha Jan 2013 #4
Joe Shlabotnik Jan 2013 #5

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:29 AM

1. To all the people defending the RIAA

Everyone has heard "time has come today", it has been used in commercials. Yet many of the RIAA apolgist ignore the information in this photo:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/legendary_blues_singer_reality_of_the_music_industry_for_the_99

Yes, that is him.

And yet, the thing that keeps him from STARVING and DYING is the internet.

Thinking the music industry is trying to look after the same musicians they have been stealing from is like thinking foxes will look after a henhouse.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonCoquixote (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 01:53 AM

2. You're right about the RIAA

A bunch of money hungry greedy assholes. They're the wall street of the music industry.

Reply to this post

Response to DonCoquixote (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:49 AM

6. Tragic.

Fortunately the RIAA defenders here are few and far between and keep a low profile because deep down they know they're dead ass wrong.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:05 AM

3. TIME...

HAS COME TODAY....TIME!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:12 AM

4. I love a good poignant comeback

story.. Poor thing.. down and out for so long and then with the immeasurable help from the generousity of others.. Boom!

Thanks Liberal in LA

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:25 AM

5. K&R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread