HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » New Yorkers Give RACIST A...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:05 PM

New Yorkers Give RACIST Anti-Muslim Signs A Much Needed OVERHAUL

New York is a mecca of social justice. From the start of Occupy Wall Street to the current Occupy Sandy efforts, New Yorkers seem ready to step in whenever the need arises. Today, however, social justice is taking form in an entirely different way. Pamela Geller and the American Freedom Defense Initiative put ads all over the subway with anti-Muslim messages. The signs show the World Trade Center bombing on 9/11. In large words next to the picture of the towers in flames state:

“Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers. (Quaran 3:151).”

New Yorkers, however, didn’t like this clearly racist and hateful message directly aimed at sowing fear of Muslim people. So they took matters into their own hands, going from subway to subway, plastering caution signs stating that this is war propaganda.

I, for one, am tired of all the fear mongering that goes on towards Muslims. The truth is that terrorism exists in all religions. The difference between a Christian terrorist and a Muslim one is that a Christian who commits an act of terrorism is referred to as a “person” when reported on. A Muslim who commits an act of terrorism is a referred to as a “Muslim terrorist.” Religion only comes into play if the person or group is not amongst the majority. This needs to stop.

The only thing separating Muslim people from those of other faiths is their religion. That’s it. Muslim people are regular people. They eat, they sleep, they work, they pay taxes, they do everything anyone else does. Some are good people, some are bad, just like any group of people. The vast majority of Muslims, just like the vast majority of people in any religion, are not involved with terrorist organizations. The sign posted in the subway is not only sickening, it assumes those reading lack common sense. It assumes they will be so consumed with fear that they will believe the false message this propaganda is supposed to purvey.Thankfully, however, a group of New Yorkers took matters into their own hands so now anyone who sees these ads will also see that they are propaganda. This is a classic example of people doing a small thing which goes a long way. It is up to us to fight this kind of racism and fight it we shall.

cont'

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/01/09/new-yorkers-give-racist-anti-muslim-signs-a-much-needed-overhaul/

18 replies, 3395 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Yorkers Give RACIST Anti-Muslim Signs A Much Needed OVERHAUL (Original post)
Segami Jan 2013 OP
TeamPooka Jan 2013 #1
Solly Mack Jan 2013 #2
JaneyVee Jan 2013 #3
Segami Jan 2013 #6
Segami Jan 2013 #15
barbtries Jan 2013 #9
ceile Jan 2013 #4
LittleBlue Jan 2013 #5
Mika Jan 2013 #7
alcibiades_mystery Jan 2013 #8
Victor_c3 Jan 2013 #10
Liberal_in_LA Jan 2013 #11
Douglas Carpenter Jan 2013 #12
Canoe52 Jan 2013 #13
NYC Liberal Jan 2013 #14
Scurrilous Jan 2013 #16
Turborama Jan 2013 #17
ck4829 Jan 2013 #18

Response to Segami (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:11 PM

1. k+r!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:12 PM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:13 PM

3. My friend writes 'RACIST' really big on every one he sees.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:17 PM

6. Nice to see people taking action by pushing back against hate-laced fear propaganda.

Reply to this post

Response to Segami (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 06:17 PM

15. Southern Poverty Law Center: PAMELA GELLER

PAMELA GELLER

Date of Birth: 1958

Most Recent Group: Stop Islamization of America

Ideology: Anti-Muslim

Pamela Geller is the anti-Muslim movement's most visible and flamboyant figurehead. She's relentlessly shrill and coarse in her broad-brush denunciations of Islam and makes preposterous claims, such as that President Obama is the "love child" of Malcolm X. She makes no pretense of being learned in Islamic studies, leaving the argumentative heavy lifting to her Stop Islamization of America partner Robert Spencer. Geller has mingled comfortably with European racists and fascists, spoken favorably of South African racists, defended Serbian war criminal Radovan Karadzic and denied the existence of Serbian concentration camps. She has taken a strong pro-Israel stance to the point of being sharply critical of Jewish liberals.

In Her Own Words

"Islam is not a race. This is an ideology. This is an extreme ideology, the most radical and extreme ideology on the face of the earth."
— Pam Geller On Fox Business' "Follow the Money," March 10, 2011

"Obama is a third worlder and a coward. He will do nothing but beat up on our friends to appease his Islamic overlords."
— Pam Geller, AtlasShrugs.com, April 13, 2010

"Hussein is a muhammadan. He's not insane … he wants jihad to win."
— Pam Geller, AtlasShrugs.com, April 11, 2010

"I don't think that many westernized Muslims know when they pray five times a day that they're cursing Christians and Jews five times a day. … I believe in the idea of a moderate Muslim. I do not believe in the idea of a moderate Islam."
— Pam Geller, The New York Times, Oct. 8, 2010

"Now do I see everything through the prism of Israel? No, I don't, but I do think it's a very good guide. It's a very good guide because, like I said, in the war between the civilized man and the savage, you side with the civilized man. … If you don't lay down and die for Islamic supremacism, then you're a racist anti-Muslim Islamophobic bigot. That's what we're really talking about."
– Pam Geller, The New York Times, Oct. 8, 2010

Background
Pamela Geller spent most of the 1980s working at The New York Daily News in financial analysis, advertising and marketing. Later, she became associate publisher of The New York Observer and stayed in that position until 1994. According to one online resume, she also served as senior vice president for strategic planning and performance evaluation at Brandeis University.

Married in 1990 to Michael Oshry, Geller spent the 1990s and most of the 2000s as a well-to-do Long Island housewife. After divorcing in 2007, she mostly busied herself rearing her four children, writing blogs and posting slam poetry-style videos trashing all things liberal on her YouTube channel.

Geller and Oshry were co-owners, along with Christ Tsiropoulous, of at least two car dealerships before the Gellers divorced in 2007. That was the same year Collin Thomas, one of their salesmen, was gunned down while closing their dealership, Universal Auto World, one evening.

The investigation into the murder uncovered an alleged fraud ring. According to the New York Daily News, employees enabled "underground characters," including "known" drug dealers, to buy luxury cars using fake identities. Eleven people who worked for the dealership, including Tsiropoulous, were arrested, but Geller escaped the scandal unscathed. According to The New York Times, she received a $4 million divorce settlement, a portion of $1.8 million from the sale of the Long Island home and then a $5 million life insurance payment when Oshry died a few months after remarrying in 2008. The criminal case has not moved forward since the 2008 arrests.

In October 2010, Geller told The New York Times she was profoundly affected by the 9/11 attacks. After contributing essays to various websites that examined Muslim militancy, including Charles Johnson's Little Green Footballs, she launched her own website. She named her website "Atlas Shrugs" in honor of right-wing hero and self-described objectivist author Ayn Rand, a Geller idol whose 1957 novel Atlas Shrugged celebrates pure capitalism unrestrained by government regulation or social welfare measures. The unvarnished anti-Muslim stridency of Atlas Shrugs won followers; Geller republished the 2005 cartoons of Muhammad from the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, for example, when most other media demurred.

Johnson, a moderate conservative, later broke sharply with Geller, calling her an anti-Muslim "hatemonger." After Geller, who is Jewish, posted a critique of the Islamic halal practice of slaughtering animals for food in September 2010, Johnson pointed out that kosher practice is almost identical and observed, "My GOD she is stupid."

cont'

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/profiles/pamela-geller

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:32 PM

9. i like your friend.

doubt if i'd have the courage to do that.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:14 PM

4. K&R!

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:15 PM

5. lol nice sticker

I want some

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:29 PM

7. Muslim is NOT a race.

Being anti Muslim does not equate being racist. While both are abhorrent, they are not one and the same.

I think that "bigoted" might be more appropriate in this case.

| | | | |

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:30 PM

8. They should put one over the Zero Dark Thirty poster

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #8)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:15 PM

10. I was thinking the same thing too n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:55 PM

11. kick

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:01 PM

12. knr