HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Irony squared. Operator o...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:37 PM

Irony squared. Operator of popular YouTube channel found shot to death in northeast Georgia

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/operator-of-popular-youtube-channel-found-shot-to-/nTqHY/

By Mike Morris

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

One of the operators of a popular YouTube channel promoting high-powered guns and explosives was found shot to death last week in northeast Georgia.

Keith Ratliff, 32, was found dead at 5:45 p.m. Thursday at his business on Hayes Road in Carnesville, said Franklin County Sheriff Steve Thomas in a press release.

Ratliff, of Frankfort, Ky., had been shot once in the head, and his death is a homicide. He had been dead for some time when the body was discovered, Thomas said. He was last seen alive Wednesday around 7 p.m.

The GBI has been called in to assist in the investigation, and Ratliff’s body was taken to the GBI Crime Lab in Atlanta for an autopsy.

Ratliff, along with Kyle Lamar Myers, who appears in the popular online videos, operate the “FPSRussia” YouTube channel, which has 3.4 million subscribers. Videos posted on the channel have racked up more than a half-billion views. According to YouTube, FPSRussia is the ninth-most popular channel on the website.

Ratliff also operated a company out of Carnesville called FPS Industries. In video gamer jargon, FPS stands for first person shooter.

More at above link.

13 replies, 911 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Irony squared. Operator of popular YouTube channel found shot to death in northeast Georgia (Original post)
Whovian Jan 2013 OP
Agnosticsherbet Jan 2013 #1
alcibiades_mystery Jan 2013 #2
phantom power Jan 2013 #3
Dash87 Jan 2013 #4
snooper2 Jan 2013 #5
rustydog Jan 2013 #6
Whovian Jan 2013 #7
ProgressiveProfessor Jan 2013 #8
Whovian Jan 2013 #10
rbixby Jan 2013 #9
reformist2 Jan 2013 #11
R_Flagg_77 Jan 2013 #12
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #13

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:42 PM

1. Guns don't kill people. Irony kills people.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:44 PM

2. Thaaaaaat's a shame

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:45 PM

3. There's something mentally unhealthy about using "FPS" in a company name for real weapons.

Owning and operating a real firearm is very goddamned different than anything to do with FPS, and blurring the line between the two in any way is bad mojo.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:48 PM

5. That's weird, I posted one of their videos here earlier today ....

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:48 PM

6. This is sad, but I could have sworn Wayne LaPierre said:

The ONLY way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Right?

Reply to this post

Response to rustydog (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:57 PM

7. I guess he must not have been a good guy?

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #8)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:09 PM

10. I don't go there unless by unwarned link.

To me, it's like going to FR.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:04 PM

9. If only he had access to more guns....NT

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:14 PM

11. We need to say it's *not* ironic, but completely unsurprising.

It only stands to reason: Gun nuts who hang out with other gun nuts have an increased chance of being...

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:24 PM

12. Thats a real shame...

I don't want this to turn into some kind of friggen anti-gun thread, lord knows there has been enough of them lately. I always enjoyed the FPSRussia videos. I could never afford any of those weapons, and I really don't need any of them; but I did like to watch that man display them.

If I recall correctly anyway, I don't believe he actually owned any of them, or very few of them. Weapons like the ones he usually displayed tend to be owned by very wealthy collectors who keep a tight leash on them. Buying machine guns, heavy artillery, and explosives are a major pain in the ass, and expensive to boot. They are rightfully out of the price range of all but the richest and dedicated collectors who tend to view them as long term investments. For instance the last time I looked, an entry level machine gun like a M16A1 or a Mac-10 would usually start at ten thousand to twelve thousand dollars. MP-5's and other exotic machine guns would run you closer to twenty five thousand and up.

Explosives and heavy artillery, unless inert/deactivated, tend to be even more costly and as you might expect, have strict requirements of ownership. I once looked at purchasing dynamite to clear some land and after some brief research I quickly gave up the idea entirely. There is no way the average person could afford the storage requirements, licenses, and permits. Its simply too much of a hassle.

RIP Mr. Ratliff.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:51 PM

13. what was the significance of the 'russia' part?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread