HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Great News, DC Students: ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:37 AM

Great News, DC Students: You’ve Got Choice™

Dear Washington DC student:

Great news! Your union-stifled public school is closing its doors due to low expectations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/13/dc-public-schools-chancel_n_2124915.html

That means that you are now on the road to excellence and innovation, a path that proceeds directly to college and onto an outstanding 21st century job. In other words, you are about to enter an exciting new world of choice™. Did you know that The Brookings Institution recently ranked Washington, DC third in the country for school choice on its Education Choice and Competition Index? No? You’ve obviously got a lot to learn—we’d better get started.

Choosing your choice™

Washington DC is home to 130 charter schools, which means that you’ll have plenty of choice™ to choose from. Scratch that—five new academies of excellence and innovation have opened just while I was typing this. I’d suggest that you start flipping through this 60 page charter school directory pronto. It is only available in English but I’m sure that is no problemo as everyone in Washington DC speaks English.

Now the key to choosing the choice™ that is right for you begins with the brochure. It is a well-known fact that the most innovative and excellent charter schools also have the most outstanding brochures. (Note: glossy paper correlates highly with excellence, as do pictures of minority students engaged in activities other than test taking or test preparation). You’ll want to collect LOTS of these brochures when you attend today’s DC Charter School Expo, hosted by the DC Public Charter School Board (PCSB), the DC Association of Chartered Public Schools (DCACPS) and Friends of Choice in Urban Schools (FOCUS). You and your parents should plan on spending the day there as there will be so many choices to choose from.

Have you chosen your choice™ yet?

Now that you’ve got all of the brochures it’s time for you to begin identifying your target schools. This is easy peasie. Start by picking your desired neighborhood from this helpful and easy to navigate map of choice™. Got it? Now we’re going to select your focus. Would you say that you’re more of a character education person? Or maybe college prep is really your thing? How about expeditionary learning? Family-centered? Classical? Technology? Government/political science/pre-law? Math/science? Arts/humanities? Excellent choice™. And don’t forget to specify your performance tier..!

I’d like to pause for just a moment to remind you how important your choice™ is. In fact, it is so important that it has its own special week devoted to it, and that week itself is so important that it has its own president....Got it? Excellent! Now that you’ve made your choice™ all that’s left for you to do is to fill out a simple application. The application isn’t available yet but it is so simple that anyone can complete it, especially someone who speaks English, which I understand everyone in Washington, DC does. In the meantime, perhaps you’d like to download this cool new MyDCCharters app. Good luck!

http://edushyster.com/?p=1733

2 replies, 305 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Great News, DC Students: You’ve Got Choice™ (Original post)
HiPointDem Jan 2013 OP
reteachinwi Jan 2013 #1
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #2

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:13 AM

1. I couldn't find

The George Bush Academy for C Students in the brochures. Are you tryin to limit my freedom?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to reteachinwi (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 08:53 AM

2. you must have missed it...there are a lot of pages...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread