HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Document shows Emanuel ad...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:30 AM

Document shows Emanuel administration had detailed school closing plans

An internal Chicago Public Schools document obtained by the Tribune shows for the first time that the Emanuel administration has weighed how many elementary and high schools to close in which neighborhoods and how to manage the public fallout.

Labeled a "working draft," the Sept. 10 document lays out the costs and benefits of specific scenarios revealing that the administration has gone further down the path of determining what schools to target than it has disclosed...

The document goes well beyond what the administration has outlined to the public. Amid a September teachers strike, the Tribune reported that the Emanuel administration was considering plans to close 80 to 120 schools, most in poor minority neighborhoods. Administration officials have repeatedly denied they have such a figure.

But the internal document, prepared at a time when school leaders faced a December deadline to make their decisions public, lays out multiple scenarios for closing neighborhood schools and adding privately run charters...The most stark page in the document is a graphic that breaks down the 95 schools that could be closed in each of CPS' 19 elementary and high school networks.

The document outlines strategy on the thorny issue of adding up to 20 charter schools a year at the same time it is closing neighborhood schools.While the report says charters are "a core prong of CPS's academic improvement strategy," it also acknowledges the district will face criticism if it adds charter schools in the first year while also eliminating district-run schools. To avoid that "perceived inconsistency," the report states that the district cannot add so many charters when it is selling school closings as a way to address CPS' fiscal crisis.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-73748664/

3 replies, 420 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Document shows Emanuel administration had detailed school closing plans (Original post)
HiPointDem Jan 2013 OP
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #1
kooljerk666 Jan 2013 #2
LWolf Jan 2013 #3

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 07:01 AM

1. kick

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 08:30 AM

2. Man, who the hell voted for this POS????

I have been planning a lot of travel on AMTRAK & one thing that irks me is being in Chicago for a layover.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 08:35 AM

3. No surprise.

Rahm Emanuel has repeatedly demonstrated that he is a POS. He can be at the head of the line for the Karen Lewis solution, as far as I'm concerned.

disclaimer: metaphorically speaking, of course.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread