HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Emory U Drops Visual Arts...

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:46 AM

Emory U Drops Visual Arts Dept, Ed Studies Dept, PE Dept, Journalism Dept, portending ominous trend

Late in the day on Friday, September 14, Robin Forman, Dean of Emory College of Arts and Sciences, released a letter to the Emory College community stating that Emory University would be closing their Visual Arts Program, as well as the Department of Educational Studies, the Department of Physical Education, and the Department of Journalism.

In addition, the administration decided to suspend admissions to graduate programs in Spanish, Economics, and the Institute of Liberal Arts (I.L.A.)––Emory’s flagship interdisciplinary Ph.D. program. The tactics used by Emory’s administration in arriving at these decisions and announcing the news––delivering the decision to the heads of the departments rather than engaging them throughout the process; blanketing the rationality, reasoning and facts of the decision making process in vague and ambiguous language; and sidestepping the impact this would have on the Emory community––strike a corporate tone rather than one of a democratic university. The effects continue to resonate throughout the university community as details of the decision-making process surface in an erratic and piecemeal fashion, stressing a need for greater transparency and analysis...

In 2007, barely preceding the start of the recession in the United States, Emory University implemented Emory Advantage (EA), a financial aid initiative in which Emory replaces Federal Subsidized Stafford Loans through grants to alleviate the burden on students after graduation. Despite the benevolent ethos behind the EA program its start date could not have come at a worse time. Though this was a viable measure in 2007, the money budgeted for EA recipients has since been eclipsed by the changes in the U.S. economy...If incoming students’ finances cannot be determined or even considered in the admissions process it stands to reason that perhaps the financial makeup and participation can be shaped some other way.

The choice of departments to excise or reorganize is indicative of shifts intended to shape a curriculum that caters to a demographic with the means to support their own education independent of Emory College’s budget. International students and their escalating enrollment at Emory over the past four years––a time that has seen reparations to the university’s budget––sheds some light on this issue. Students from abroad do not qualify for need-based funds from the United States. In addition, national records indicate that they often pay their tuition in cash, contributing to the speculation that, lacking an alternative means of anticipating the financial makeup of the student body during the admissions process, the administration is molding a curriculum desirable for this demographic...

Indeed, the cuts at Emory––how they were conducted and the departments targeted––have rocked the foundations of the university’s liberal arts education. As one student posted in an open letter to the editor on The Emory Wheel––the independent student newspaper of Emory University––“By its existence alone, the ILA critiqued the prevailing organization of the academy and called into question attendant hierarchical political. In closing or downsizing the journalism major, visual arts department and the ILA, the Emory administration has preemptively attacked potential zones of dissent on campus...”

http://www.artandeducation.net/paper/emory-university-eradicates-its-visual-arts-department-portending-an-ominous-trend-in-university-education/

5 replies, 1171 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Emory U Drops Visual Arts Dept, Ed Studies Dept, PE Dept, Journalism Dept, portending ominous trend (Original post)
HiPointDem Jan 2013 OP
Mimosa Jan 2013 #1
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #2
Fumesucker Jan 2013 #3
Ken Burch Jan 2013 #4
exboyfil Jan 2013 #5

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:50 AM

1. SCAD in ATL covers the arts now.

Savannah College of Art and Design 'took over' the liberal arts education field here starting 18 years ago.

Emory intends to tighten their focus on medical and bio sciences and other areas where they've been best. (This is the CDC's home town. ) GA State, GA Tech and University of GA (in particular) cover the other fields well.

Read about SCAD and don't worry.

http://www.scad.edu/atlanta/index.cfm

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mimosa (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:09 AM

2. SCAD is a purportedly non-profit private college founded in 1978 -- with a for-profit arm.

Paula S. Wallace co-founded the Savannah College of Art and Design in 1978 with her parents and her then-husband... Since then it has grown into one of the nation's largest art schools, and Ms. Wallace's pay has swelled: In 2008 her total compensation as president was $1,946,730, according to newly released tax documents.

That amount tops the compensation of all but a handful of college chiefs. But SCAD, a relatively pricey and prosperous art school, is smaller than universities that pay in that range.

SCAD remains to some extent a family affair. The college paid Ms. Wallace's current husband, Glenn E. Wallace, $289,235 in 2008 for his role as senior vice president for college resources. Also on the payroll was her son John Paul Rowan ($233,843 for consulting; he is now a vice president who oversees the college's Hong Kong campus), daughter Marisa Rowan ($101,493; director of the equestrian programs), daughter-in-law Elizabeth Rowan ($85,494; director of external relations at the Hong Kong campus), and mother, May L. Poetter, a member of the Board of Trustees, who earned $61,767 in consulting fees.

A large portion of the pay earned by Ms. Wallace and her husband comes from a for-profit entity called the SCAD Group Inc. The college, which is a nonprofit, created the subsidiary in 2003, according to corporate filings.

The for-profit arm is wholly owned and controlled by the college. It provides nonacademic services to SCAD...Rian M. Yaffe, a consultant who advises colleges on compensation and governance, said the family hires at SCAD raise a red flag when looked at with Ms. Wallace's relatively high pay and perks.Mr. Cotton agreed. "I cannot imagine another board of a college or university in the United States agreeing to this..."The college has also long been criticized for not offering tenure to professors, using one-year contracts instead.

http://chronicle.com/article/An-Art-College-Presidents/124662/

"Hire your family. Get rid of tenure. As a non-profit, set up a for-profit "entity" that cuts you sweet deals and pays half your salary."

It sounds like an upscale U Phoenix to me.

Tuition only = $32K for a year.

Nearly the same as for Emory, an old, top-ranked (#20) research university = $40K.

Why should I 'not worry' because Emory is abandoning liberal arts & a for-profit college is taking on those programs while scooping up lots of real-estate tax-free?

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:40 AM

3. I agree, from what I hear SCAD is to a big extent a SCAM n/t

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:47 AM

4. Will they still be offering degrees in ANYTHING that matters?

(Other than the "white collar trade school" majors like engineering? The ones where they DON'T teach you to think?)

Reply to this post

Response to Ken Burch (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 06:54 AM

5. Engineering doesn't teach you to think?

I find that very interesting. Our flagship engineering university requires nine Language Arts/Social Studies/Humanities classes. In addition our design courses include studies that involve the ethical considerations related to the engineering field. Our engineers are taught to apply math and science to solving real world technological problems. Also many engineers (like my daughter) dual major/minor in other majors such as film studies/journalism/foreign language.

An anecdotal story about my experience at Purdue. I took two Sophomore level Communications courses as a Freshman. In one I was the only engineer and scored the highest grade in the class. In the other (a large section of over 80 students I scored the third highest grade with the students above me being Junior engineers). In general I noted almost all of the highest scores were obtained by engineering or science majors.

I agree canceling programs at a major university like Emory is alarming, but don't go around saying that engineers do not learn how to think. Engineering is hardly a "white collar trade school" degree.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread