HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sandy Homeowner Gets $37....
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:28 AM

Sandy Homeowner Gets $37.74 in Insurance for Destroyed Home

http://woodbridge.patch.com/articles/sandy-homeowner-gets-37-74-in-insurance-for-destroyed-home#photo-12805031

On a sunny day in January, you hear the sound of workers reroofing a house denuded by the hurricane, or chucking out yet more storm-damaged possessions that are beyond hope.

Every other house, it seems, has a neon-orange tag noting the building is unsafe to enter.

Even among all this leftover misery, Jason Crea's Watson Avenue home stands out. Not just because it's the hardest hit home on the hardest hit street in Woodbridge. Or because the basement walls on both sides of the steps were blown out by the storm surge.

It's the big sign that Crea erected right over a bird's eye view into his house's basement where a foot of water still stands: "Allstate Gave Us $37.74 and All We Got Was This Lousy Sign".

(More at the link.)

8 replies, 1313 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sandy Homeowner Gets $37.74 in Insurance for Destroyed Home (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 OP
Permanut Jan 2013 #1
Vodid Jan 2013 #2
Mimosa Jan 2013 #3
Sherman A1 Jan 2013 #4
cthulu2016 Jan 2013 #5
Selatius Jan 2013 #6
Demo_Chris Jan 2013 #7
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 #8

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:36 AM

1. And plus don't forget..

It cost Allstate 43 cents to mail the settlement check, so now we're up to $38.17 in total payout.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:48 AM

2. Allstate Sucks!

I know this from our experience with them from Katrina. I'm not gonna do a major elaboration, but everything they did was an error in their favor; measurements were wrong, etc, etc....always in their favor. We ended up having to hire a lawyer. Crazy. The lawyer took 30% of the final settlement. Insurance...what a fuckin' scam.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:14 AM

3. Rec from Katrina 'old hand'

Allstate had an awful reputation on home insurance even before Katrina. My family and many neighbors insured our homes in South Louisiana with 'American National'. Their agents are expert in helping people choose the right coverage for their area. in After Katrina struck, American National treated us well, and did everything possible to help make our situation better.

I'll never forget how each person from the adjusters on up made every effort to help us during that horribly stressful period. Our agent had been so friendly and professional long before Katrina happened, including when a previous hurricane blue off some of our roof. This company's agents know how to make a package which serves the customers needs without costing a fortune. We never really thought 'the big one' would strike but when it did, this company was GREAT!

American National Insurance link:

http://www.anico.com/

Reply to this post

Response to Mimosa (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:18 AM

4. Thanks for Posting

I will give them a look. My homeowners was cancelled last year after being with the company for 37 years as they had too many claims in the state. Went with my car insurance company for the interim, but I will definitely look these guys over and let my family in the New Orleans area know about them.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:08 AM

5. Reading the article helps (as is often the case)

I have no doubt that Allstate would sell my family to the dog food factory for a nickel, but the article says that the payment for the house is still be determined because the city has to act first on whether to condemn it as irreparable. Judging from the article, the policy does cover repair or replacement of the home, and the size of that has not been determined yet. The $37 appears to be for household possessions.

That payment for covered damage to possessions may be an outrage, but it is not, "Sandy Homeowner Gets $37.74 in Insurance for Destroyed Home"

As to what the substance of the article is about, whether Allstate's estimation of their liability for damaged household possessions was too low, or whether the fact that the policy doesn't cover items in the basement was properly advertised to the customer, those are probably valid issues, but not issues that any honest journalist or editor could headline, "Sandy Homeowner Gets $37.74 in Insurance for Destroyed Home"

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:17 AM

6. Reminds me of how State Farm screwed me after Katrina.

The wind obviously ripped the top half of my home off, but because the sewage drain at the end of the street flooded out and covered the neighborhood in roughly 3 to 5 inches of water, they said it was flood damage and then denied everybody on the street that carried State Farm because none of us carried flood insurance; we weren't in a federally designated flood zone.

I went into bankruptcy soon thereafter, and Bank of America came for what was left. There was no job to cover the bills, just unemployment insurance, and that wouldn't cut it with a mortgage on a home that no longer existed. They bought control of the mortgage a year or two back before the storm and wanted whatever money they could get out of me in bankruptcy court.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:49 AM

7. True Democrats love insurance companies!

Democrats love insurance companies so much that we passed a law forcing every man woman and child in the nation to purchase their products, regardless of how much it costs or how worthless that product became, no matter how crappy their service eventually gets, no matter if we can afford it or not, you have to buy a policy from one of these marvelous corporations.

These guys might not be completely satisfied with the size of their check, but so what? It should be ILLEGAL for them to cancel their policy!

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:37 AM

8. Kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread