HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sanford police report: Co...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:43 PM

Sanford police report: Cops initially wanted Zimmerman charged with second-degree murder

On the day Sanford police turned over the Trayvon Martin shooting investigation to prosecutors, they changed their final report at least four times over five hours and downgraded the charge they recommended from second-degree murder to manslaughter, newly-released records confirmed.

In the first version on March 13, lead Investigator Chris Serino and his bosses recommended that George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who killed Trayvon, be charged with murder. But they changed that about four hours later, according to paperwork made public Tuesday by defense attorney Mark O'Mara.

The Orlando Sentinel reported those changes Dec. 12 when Special Prosecutor Angela Corey made public a list of evidence that she had just released to O'Mara. It included only a few sentences but made clear there was an initial draft plus four revisions.

O'Mara on Tuesday released each version. Corey's office is expected to release them in the next few days.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-serino-changes-20130108,0,77957.story

7 replies, 906 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sanford police report: Cops initially wanted Zimmerman charged with second-degree murder (Original post)
Baitball Blogger Jan 2013 OP
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #1
Baitball Blogger Jan 2013 #2
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #4
Baitball Blogger Jan 2013 #5
ProgressiveProfessor Jan 2013 #3
Auntie Bush Jan 2013 #6
Baitball Blogger Jan 2013 #7

Response to Baitball Blogger (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:49 PM

1. why is he allowed to try this case before the trial??

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:03 PM

2. Not sure what you mean.

My question is, why did they change the charge so many times?

I hope they release Norm Wolfinger's phone records to see if he was involved in those decisions. Because, it would be consistent with my observations of how leaders in public agencies reach consensus with community leaders in the private sector before doing anything.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:05 PM

4. Trying the case in the press

add: mis-read the post so it is the prosecutor that is releasing the information

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:06 PM

5. Oh, it's Florida.

I prefer to see the information in the press, because, the option is to keep it on the low down where the good ole boys can resolve everything through a series of phone calls.

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:04 PM

3. There is no gag order so the prosecutor could release what they like

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:18 PM

6. I believe the charges changed...dropped in severity...as George's father got involved.

Zimmerman's father is a retired Virginia Supreme Court Magistrate. He knows the ropes and I'm sure he got involved.

Reply to this post

Response to Auntie Bush (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:49 PM

7. But who was he talking to?

If it was Norm Wolfinger we will understand why racketeering was allowed to go on in the county without him doing a thing about it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread