HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Utah town makes arming ho...

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:05 PM

Utah town makes arming households a top priority

SPRING CITY, Utah (AP) —Officials in a small Utah town want to make sure every head of household has a firearm and knows how to use it, and they want to give school teachers training with guns too.

Spring City Councilman Neil Sorensen first proposed an ordinance requiring a gun in every household in the town of 1,000. The rest of the council scoffed at making it a requirement, but they unanimously agreed to move forward with an ordinance "recommending" the idea.

The council also approved funding to offer concealed firearms training Friday to the 20 teachers and administrators at the local elementary school.

"It sends a statement that criminals better think twice," Sorensen told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "If a teacher would have had a concealed weapon in Sandy Hook, I think the death loss would have been fewer. If sane, trained people had guns, they could have shot back."

More: http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Utah-town-makes-arming-households-a-top-priority-4174979.php

9 replies, 623 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Utah town makes arming households a top priority (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 OP
NYC_SKP Jan 2013 #1
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #4
NYC_SKP Jan 2013 #8
bongbong Jan 2013 #2
BumRushDaShow Jan 2013 #3
GentryDixon Jan 2013 #5
kestrel91316 Jan 2013 #7
GentryDixon Jan 2013 #9
kestrel91316 Jan 2013 #6

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:13 PM

1. I just looked up Spring City, Utah.

Having never actually been there, it's hard for me to judge whether or not this is a good fit for their population.

Why, UnrepentantLiberal, I was just this afternoon chatting with my sister as we went though our parents' belongings.

Do you know that our school district allowed for Friday Catholic trainings for youth AND gun safety classes AND, (hang on to your hat) ART and MUSIC classes!!!!

It was a one school rural district.

Nobody killed anybody.

And I would bet a section (that's ag talk, never mind) that every household had several guns, at least one rifle and one shotgun (probably per person) and that this is still true today.

That's in the country, not in Manhattan. I didn't keep guns in Manhattan.

Have you been to Spring City, Utah, UnrepentantLiberal?

Have you been to Manhattan? Be sure to visit my old place at E Houston and Avenue B, and go to Katz's, and send a Salame to your Boy in the Army!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:26 PM

4. Can't say that I've ever been to Utah, NYC_SKP.

But I did live in Las Vegas for a time.

I have been to Manhattan. In fact I work in Manhattan. I'll drop by Katz's if I'm in the neighborhood.

Salame to my Boy in the Army? Whatchu talkin' about, Willis?

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:04 PM

8. Well if you haven't been to Katz's then you must make a point of going there!

Actually, an orgasm scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed there:

Oooh, oh GOD, yeah... Right There!!! Yes yes yes!!!

Also, one of the signs:

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:15 PM

2. Where's the armor plating for the cars?

You never know when one of your fellow citizens will snap, or just have a bad day, and you could be the victim of being shot at. So next they better armor-up all the cars.

Of course then they'll have to specify that everybody buy a Hummer so that everybody has enough mass around them in case one of the armored-car owners goes beserk.

Well, next will be a tank requirement, because you never know when one of those Hummers will have a flat while traveling at speed and veer into your Hummer.

So after that we'll need rolling massive concrete bunkers.

at the scared, cowardly, Delicate Flowers.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:17 PM

3. Wild Wild West

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 08:56 PM

5. I started a mini crime spree in Spring City

when I was about 9 or 10. My twin & I were visiting a friend for a few weeks during the summer. We decided Mom would be thrilled if we brought her a cat. At that time Spring City was a farming community with cats running around everywhere. So we just helped ourselves to the kittens we could catch. We ended up with about 6 kittens & 1 rabbit. When our friends Dad took us home my Mom just about flipped. We had to take the kittens in a wagon asking people to adopt them. We lived about 100 miles from where we swiped the cats, so taking them back was not an option.

I guess it's a good thing the towns people were not all armed all those many years ago.

Reply to this post

Response to GentryDixon (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:03 PM

7. Gentry, Spring City is STILL a farming community with lots of cats running around.

And that's all it will ever be.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:06 PM

9. I have not been back in 50+ years,

but am not surprised it hasn't changed.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:02 PM

6. My paternal grandmother came from that part of Utah.

Buncha hick towns, none of them with more than a stop light or two and a few square blocks of houses and businesses. LOTS of farms.

My guess is these people are afraid of the black folks from Salt Lake City coming down the freeway someday to rape and pillage. Or they are afraid of muslims from somewhere coming and doing the same.

Nuts. Ignorant nuts.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread