HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fiscal Cliff Deal Forces ...

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:31 PM

Fiscal Cliff Deal Forces The IRS To Push Back Tax Season This Year (but only by a week)

Since Congress waited till the 11th hour to cut a deal on Fiscal Cliff tax changes, the IRS has been forced push back the start of tax season this year.

The agency will start processing individual income tax returns on Jan. 30, eight days later than originally planned, it announced today.

The majority of taxpayers 120 million households will have no problem filing on that date, but given the crop of new tax changes to consider, the IRS is warning that some may have to wait until February or March to file namely, anyone claiming energy credits, depreciation of property or general business credits.

"‬While the IRS worked to anticipate the late tax law changes as much as possible, the final law required that the IRS update forms and instructions as well as make critical processing system adjustments before it can begin accepting tax returns," the agency said in a statement released Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/irs-pushes-tax-season-to-jan-30-2013-1

File before the government runs out of money.

1 replies, 582 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fiscal Cliff Deal Forces The IRS To Push Back Tax Season This Year (but only by a week) (Original post)
FarCenter Jan 2013 OP
JDPriestly Jan 2013 #1

Response to FarCenter (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 05:01 PM

1. Hoisted on their own petard:

"anyone claiming energy credits, depreciation of property or general business credits."

A few DUers will be claiming general business credits and depreciation of property, but how many of us will be claiming energy credits? Unless that includes solar panel credits and windmills.

That's really funny in my book. These right-wing idiots.

Emotionally undeveloped.

This reminds me of those cartoons in which the blustering idiot gets so made he kicks himself in his own shins.

Schadenfreude. I know. I should be ashamed for getting such glee out of this, but . . . . . .

I just can't help it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread