HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Desperately seeking co-si...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:21 PM

Desperately seeking co-signers -- on Craigslist

Desperately seeking co-signers -- on Craigslist

Desperate for loans, some people are posting ads on Craigslist in hopes of finding co-signers.

In a new sign of desperation, people are turning to Craigslist to search for co-signers when they don't have good enough credit to qualify for loans on their own.

Javier Cruz, 22, who came to the United States on a student visa from Mexico, was hoping to transfer to Texas Tech University's two-year nursing program next fall after he finishes the year at El Paso Community College. But when his mom lost her job eight months ago, the monthly checks Cruz had been receiving from his parents stopped.

Without that help, he couldn't afford the nursing program's $8,000 per semester tuition. He applied for a $20,000 loan, but given his limited credit history and low income, he didn't qualify without a co-signer. None of his friends had good enough credit, so he turned to Craigslist -- offering $1,000 to anyone willing to co-sign on the loan.

---------------------------------------------

Since he first posted the ad last month, Cruz has received four responses. But each respondent has either requested his bank account number or routing number, or asked for the $1,000 up front -- leading him to believe they were scammers.

And if Cruz doesn't remain a student, he could lose his visa. "If I don't get , I think I'm going to have to go back with my parents in Mexico," he said.

-----------------------------

One woman from Montana promises $500 to "a Special Person" willing to co-sign a $2,500 loan that will help her purchase a 1978 Shovelhead Harley Davidson, while someone in Ohio is offering up a tractor and car as collateral for anyone who co-signs a $5,000 personal loan. A Richmond, Va.-based quiche-making company seeking a business loan is willing to give a co-signer $5,000 and a stake in the company.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/08/pf/craigslist-co-signer/index.html?iid=EL

4 replies, 821 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Desperately seeking co-signers -- on Craigslist (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Jan 2013 OP
gollygee Jan 2013 #1
Mdterp01 Jan 2013 #2
BainsBane Jan 2013 #3
Liberal_in_LA Jan 2013 #4

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:23 PM

1. Who would do this?

Please tell me people aren't that stupid to cosign on a loan for someone they don't even know who admits to being high risk.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gollygee (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:25 PM

2. Some complete idiot!!!!

OMG seriously...who would do this?!!! I mean I guess anything is a long shot. However, you can find anything on craigslist and I bet if some really hot guy or hot woman adds a picture then they will get some hits for a co-signer with "conditions"

Reply to this post

Response to gollygee (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:57 PM

3. they aren't

the responses have been from scam artists. No one is going to agree to doing that.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 06:44 PM

4. I hope not! who would agree to co-sign student loans for an international student?

and be tied to him for 10 years, hoping he pays. yikes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread