HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Blame everything on menta...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:10 PM

Blame everything on mental illness. Blame me personally if you want.

Ever since Newtown, it seems to me half the threads on here touch on mental illness as a cause of the woes of society.

It would be unrealistic to deny that mental illness does play a role in some events, like the murders at Va Tech, Tucson, Aurora, Wisconsin, and Newtown. And apparently in the subway platform hate crime murder in NY.

But it's equally unrealistic to blame every woe on MH problems.

Gun crimes might be caused by MI, but be definition can't occur without available firearms.

Alex Jones may be a self-aggrandizing fraud. But I have heard no evidence that he has had a psychiatric evaluation which diagnosed a recocognized MI.

There was a MI element to the NY platform murder, but there was an equal element of a hate crime, bigotry of Arab Americans.

Prozac and other drugs which help millions are dismissed as dangerous, even poisonous, because they have the potential to cause serious side effects, including exacerbation of depression or psychosis, in a very small percentage of patients.

I personally find all of this very offensive. As a guy struggling to move past the shame, embarrassment, and stigma of my recent psychiatric breakdown and hospitalization, I would ask that DU members be more sensitive. This is, after all, a liberal left leaning forum, I would like to hope that as a group, we could be more sensitive, empathetic, and enlightened than our Freeper or conservative cave counterparts. I appeal to the better angels found within all if you.

But if not, tear into me. There is little anyone could do to me at this pooint that could hurt me more than I have already been hurt and traumatized by my personal experiences.

82 replies, 4229 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 82 replies Author Time Post
Reply Blame everything on mental illness. Blame me personally if you want. (Original post)
Denninmi Jan 2013 OP
Neoma Jan 2013 #1
Glaug-Eldare Jan 2013 #2
OneGrassRoot Jan 2013 #3
Lionessa Jan 2013 #4
Neoma Jan 2013 #5
Lionessa Jan 2013 #7
Neoma Jan 2013 #9
fizzgig Jan 2013 #19
Posteritatis Jan 2013 #58
Denninmi Jan 2013 #10
sibelian Jan 2013 #14
Neoma Jan 2013 #15
Denninmi Jan 2013 #20
Neoma Jan 2013 #24
musical_soul Jan 2013 #51
fizzgig Jan 2013 #16
Lionessa Jan 2013 #70
fizzgig Jan 2013 #72
Lionessa Jan 2013 #80
fizzgig Jan 2013 #82
Glaug-Eldare Jan 2013 #17
Denninmi Jan 2013 #21
Lionessa Jan 2013 #71
tama Jan 2013 #18
Denninmi Jan 2013 #25
get the red out Jan 2013 #29
Denninmi Jan 2013 #31
get the red out Jan 2013 #33
Denninmi Jan 2013 #34
HereSince1628 Jan 2013 #40
H2O Man Jan 2013 #46
Glaug-Eldare Jan 2013 #47
Glaug-Eldare Jan 2013 #56
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #63
Lionessa Jan 2013 #69
rustydog Jan 2013 #66
Neoma Jan 2013 #67
Denninmi Jan 2013 #68
JaneyVee Jan 2013 #6
patricia92243 Jan 2013 #8
Denninmi Jan 2013 #13
LeftofObama Jan 2013 #22
tama Jan 2013 #23
socialindependocrat Jan 2013 #35
HereSince1628 Jan 2013 #44
defacto7 Jan 2013 #54
riderinthestorm Jan 2013 #11
SidDithers Jan 2013 #12
get the red out Jan 2013 #26
JustAnotherGen Jan 2013 #27
Permanut Jan 2013 #28
Union Scribe Jan 2013 #30
historylovr Jan 2013 #32
GeorgeGist Jan 2013 #36
Neoma Jan 2013 #38
loyalsister Jan 2013 #37
HereSince1628 Jan 2013 #39
loyalsister Jan 2013 #43
HereSince1628 Jan 2013 #45
loyalsister Jan 2013 #49
Robyn66 Jan 2013 #41
Glaug-Eldare Jan 2013 #48
Robyn66 Jan 2013 #61
Glaug-Eldare Jan 2013 #73
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 #42
musical_soul Jan 2013 #50
Chorophyll Jan 2013 #52
libdem4life Jan 2013 #53
defacto7 Jan 2013 #55
JoeyT Jan 2013 #57
WiffenPoof Jan 2013 #59
ileus Jan 2013 #60
Denninmi Jan 2013 #62
ileus Jan 2013 #65
The Straight Story Jan 2013 #64
Jennicut Jan 2013 #74
Denninmi Jan 2013 #75
Jennicut Jan 2013 #79
Denninmi Jan 2013 #81
dkf Jan 2013 #76
Neoma Jan 2013 #77
dkf Jan 2013 #78

Response to Denninmi (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:35 PM

1. Ditto.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:40 PM

2. Rock on, Denninmi!

This is a classic case of lazy minds trying to drive a steamroller over a people without a voice. I disagree on the gun issue, but it is appalling how many people would like to use human beings with medical conditions as a political prop, or a stepping stone, or an excuse to pursue unsavory ends. I look forward to the day when a psychiatric diagnosis is no more damning than diabetes or heart disease. The only place solutions can spring from is the left, since the right will fight to the death to prevent any public spending on improving mental health care, and the invisible hand of the free market doesn't give a damn about mental patients unless they happen to be trust fund babies. We have GOT to be united in supporting universal human dignity.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:40 PM

3. Well said. Thank you for saying it.

for your courage and honesty.

K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:46 PM

4. I think you're missing the point that's being made here at DU.

The point isn't as you suggest that mental illness is the woe of the world. It's that those with mental illness to the point of breakdowns, shouldn't be allowed to buy guns, not just no AR-47s, but no guns at all. The idea being that if someone's mental illness caused one breakdown, it could potentially cause another, as could the meds, and people who might have a breakdown, shouldn't have access to guns.

While no one is stigmatizing you or your recovery, I certain stand by the idea that you should never be allowed to own a gun.

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:51 PM

5. "While no one is stigmatizing you or your recovery"

That's a laugh.

Reply to this post

Response to Neoma (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:54 PM

7. It keeps being claimed but no links, just a lot of innuendo.

I've seen no one suggest that people with mental illness are a problem. I've seen concerns over meds seeming to both not work and be as bad as the disease. I've seen great worry over the availability of treatment for the mentally ill.

If you've seen some please provide links.

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:05 PM

9. Never seen the bigotry? You're quite frankly promoting it right now.

Reply to this post

Response to Neoma (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:31 PM

19. rock on, neoma

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 06:24 AM

58. Post #4 is a good place to start. (nt)

Reply to this post

10. Not stigmatizing?

You just did.

You don't know me personally, only whatever I have chosen to put out on DU. Nor do you know my complete medical history.

Show me the professional credentials after your name, and I might be more willing to consider your argument that I could "break down" and harm someone. MD? PhD? MSW? MA LLP? RN?

As far as right to purchase or obtain a ccw permit, I haven't come across anything in either state or federal law that says I can't at this point.

Posts like yours almost make me want to stop at Wal-mart, well, God no, not Wal-mart, maybe Dunhams, and pick one out. If it's "instant" I could take it home on the spot, right?

Why? Because I don't suffer intolerance well.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:20 PM

14. "people who might have a breakdown, shouldn't have access to guns"

"While no one is stigmatizing you or your recovery"...

:-/

Reply to this post

Response to sibelian (Reply #14)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:23 PM

15. I collect knives. Hear them shudder.

Reply to this post

Response to Neoma (Reply #15)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:32 PM

20. I have a set of Calphalon chef's knives.

I have also been known to viciously chop celery, onions, and carrots, as well as commit gruesome murders of clams, mussels, oysters, and lobsters.

Clearly a menace to society. But, they better round up Jacques Pepin, Marcus Samuelson, Andreas Vielstadts, and the entire hosting staff of The Chew.

Reply to this post

Response to Denninmi (Reply #20)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:47 PM

24. Most of mine are for whittling.

Reply to this post

Response to Denninmi (Reply #20)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:26 AM

51. OJ saw more to those type of knives.

911 attackers thought knives were useful as well.

Ban them.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:28 PM

16. but what if someone with a mental illness has never had a breakdown?

Last edited Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:39 AM - Edit history (1)

should they be allowed to buy guns. and how do you define a 'breakdown'? we all breakdown at some time or another.

and it's a load that you're not stigmatizing us.

Reply to this post

Response to fizzgig (Reply #16)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:02 PM

70. My personal opinion is that a breakdown requiring hospitalization is the line.

I notice many on DU seem to think any evidence of any mental illness shouldn't be allowed to own guns, and still others think no one even without mental illness should own a gun.

My point isn't to draw the line, but to correct the OP's misunderstanding about the current discussions about mental illness regarding the current massacre. It isn't an attempt to demonize mental illness, but to say regulations need to restrict the gun ownership opportunities of those with mental illness. Not any kind of life demonization or anythiing requiring the extreme defensiveness displayed in the OP, just regarding mental illness and gun ownership which the OP never mentions. I guess if the OP was hoping to own a gun, then perhaps he/she would feel picked on, but he/she says nothing of the relevant qualifier (guns) in his/her pule.

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #70)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:19 PM

72. but you still seem to be equating mental illness with capacity for violence

there are a variety of reasons you may end up in the hospital, some related to long-term illnesses, others related to specific situations. there is still such a catch all that you can't use the same broad brush across the board.

someone who has a 'breakdown' that includs homicidal ideation is very different from some who has a 'breakdown' due to suicidal ideation or sudden trauma.

the only restriction should be if they're proven to be a threat to others.

as someone who has a mental illness, i understand the defensiveness of the op. we're hearing that we should have to be on some manner of government registry simply for being on medication. we're being told that all of us have potential for horrible violence. the very medications that make us well are demonized on the board.

when someone is drunk and accidentally shoots someone i don't hear clamoring to prevent anyone who ever drinks alcohol from owning guns. i certainly don't hear anything about taking guns away from men, who are much more likely to be perpetrators of gun violence.

i just wonder why the 'mentally ill' are the only focus in such conversations.

Reply to this post

Response to fizzgig (Reply #72)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:51 PM

80. Unreasonable violence shows mental illness. Those with mental illnesses that have caused

breakdowns are at risk for additional breakdowns which may take the form of violence against others or themselves, so yes. I guess I do in that pretty much everyone whose mass murdered has mental illness.

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #80)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:31 PM

82. what proof do you have that they are at risk for additional breakdowns?

anyone is at risk for a breakdown. and unreasonable violence DOES NOT show mental illness, ALL violence is unreasonable excepting self-defense.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:28 PM

17. I don't think you mean to,

but this post does stigmatize treatment. For one thing, advocating a permanent ban means that, no matter how well your illness is managed, how effective a procedure is, how long you've gone without incident, you should never, EVER, be able to enjoy a civil right again. Until you die, you are less of a citizen than your neighbors. That's a big fear to conquer when you're trying to decide whether to spend huge amounts of money to have a stranger write down your most private experiences in a binder. Another problem is that the described symptoms don't indicate even a slight propensity toward violence. A "breakdown" sounds dangerous, but it could mean being so overcome with anxiety that you lock yourself in a bathroom and hide in the toilet stall. The entire reason for removing a person from firearms or other weapons is the likelihood of them perpetrating violence. Unfortunately, people (and I think you did here) read "threat" in many completely nonviolent symptoms and descriptions for mental illness. Due process demands that individuals be evaluated...individually. Any one-size-fits-all or permanent punishments create a fear of being lumped together and locked away if you seek treatment.

Reply to this post

Response to Glaug-Eldare (Reply #17)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:35 PM

21. I locked myself in my office, and cried and threw up a lot.

I will admit that my uncontrolled sobbing while driving, which came on suddenly, posed a theoretical danger. But I pulled off ASAP. I puked in a lot of parking lots.

Reply to this post

Response to Glaug-Eldare (Reply #17)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:05 PM

71. A ban on owning guns, not on anything else. Only the NRA thinks everyone w/out regard to anything

should have un-scrutinized access to firearms. And yes, if one has been hospitalized for a breakdown, they should be forever restricted from gun ownership, imo.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:29 PM

18. And yet

it seems to be "OK" that army and police are controlled by psychopaths.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:57 PM

25. One other thing I should tell you.

A "breakdown" could happen to anyone under the right stressors.

Like Green Day said in their song 'Restless Heart Syndrome' "Who are you to be so self-assured?"

If you don't think it could happen to a "normal" person, you are in serious denial.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:09 PM

29. Would job applications ask "can you legally own a firearm"?

What about when you try to buy or rent a home, can someone ask the same? Not that guns would necessarily be needed but that it would be a nice way to weed out the bad seeds among the good people.

You wouldn't want someone like ME living next door, I might walk the dog before work or make spicy chili on the weekends; all kinds of frighteningly normal things anyone else might be caught doing in the neighborhood (but I'd be doing it "mentally ill", properly treated with those scary depression medications that inspire jucy conspiracy theories).

Reply to this post

Response to get the red out (Reply #29)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:20 PM

31. They could in the future if proposals to invade our medical privacy come to pass.

So much for HIPPA as a safeguard of privacy or dignity.

Reply to this post

Response to Denninmi (Reply #31)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:26 PM

33. Exactly!

That would be an oh so easy way to get around all that and get some good old fashioned open persecution started. Then see how many people who need treatment ever seek it out! (What a mess!)

Reply to this post

Response to get the red out (Reply #33)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:42 PM

34. And yet, those of us who have will be further discriminated against and scapegoated.

So looking forward to that.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:30 PM

40. We should make decisions based on breakdowns--a term not used in psych records.

Unless a regulatory change forces that term on the psychiatric industry searches of medical records for it will be useless.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:15 PM

46. Wow.

You really should be ashamed of yourself.

Reply to this post

Response to H2O Man (Reply #46)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:44 PM

47. Easy, now

To me, this is a chance to educate. Let's take it!

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:01 AM

56. What about AK-15s?

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 09:08 AM

63. I believe you posted that you are a manic depressive.

Should you be allowed to own a gun?

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #63)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 02:56 PM

69. I am not manic depressive nor have I claimed to be.

That said, I would think that having a breakdown to the point of temporary hospitalization should be a line for gun ownership. I think some on DU think it should be anyone being treated in anyway for any mental illness, I do not agree with that. I have ptsd, but I've never been incapacitated or hospitalized for anything related to ptsd nor have I ever had a "breakdown," and I've owned a gun most of my adult life.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:07 PM

66. Good point.

I personally know a person who should never be allowed to purchase a gun.
He is bi-polar. when he is on his medication he is a very good person. he is able to tune out the voices that tell him to kill people around him.

There are times he can't tune the voices out (like when meds are changed) and he becomes extremely violent. Or when he feels better and decides to stop taking the medications and the voices take over again...He should never be allowed to walk into a store and purchase a gun, or go to a gun show and buy a gun, any gun. If I were to sell a firearm to him privately, I should be forced, by law, to report that sale to the county sheriff's office or FBI or local BATF.

I'm not disparaging people with psychological illnesses. It is pointing out a serious issue, but this is not the only issue in the gun control debate. It will NOT help drive the debate if people are allowed to distract the issue by hinting that it is a mental health issue and gun control to us "normal" Americans isn't needed.

Reply to this post

Response to rustydog (Reply #66)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:11 PM

67. So knowing one person with bipolar means you get to judge all people with bipolar in the same way?

Yeah, I don't think so.

Reply to this post

Response to rustydog (Reply #66)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:46 PM

68. I agree, someone with that severity should be curtailed.

And many loopholes closed.

FWIW, the only "voices in my head" are when I crank up the Bluetooth headphones while working out my gym. I guess I could do worse than Rihanna, Snow Patrol, and the Irish and Korean rap I've been listening to the last couple of days.

Irish rap? Yeah, buddy.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:53 PM

6. Mental illness is a broad term. Gun violence is less about mental illness & more about sociopathy.

MOST people within the broad spectrum of mental illness are harmless, or more of a threat to themselves than to others. These mass shooters as well as others that use gun violence are beyond mental illness, they are sociopaths or psychopaths.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #6)

8. Yes!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:16 PM

13. Bingo. We have a winner.

It seems like many can't differentiate between these different conditions, let alone understand the nuances between various DX. Too many paint with a broad brush, as if anorexia and schizoaffective disorders were basically the same thing.

Thanks for "getting it"

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:36 PM

22. Bingo!

You hit the nail on the head with that reply! I wish I could recommend your post.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:39 PM

23. +1

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:47 PM

35. May sociopathy never be misconstrued as mental illness...

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:06 PM

44. ~17500 gun suicides last year. ~8500 gun homicides.

90% of gun suicides are linked to a mental illness--most frequently the presence of depression, which is a symptom in many disorders.

Suicide far exceeds homicide, and suicides are mostly not about sociopathy.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:57 AM

54. And sociopaths are among the most difficult

to recognize until something actually bad happens. Outside of that, they are the nice, church going, PTA member, community volunteer, people next door. Then they find the bodies in the basement.

I would never be concerned about someone who recognizes they need help with psychological issues. It's the sociopath who can lie so perfectly no one would know they were dangerous. It's the sociopath who can create their own fictitious world as they need it, convincing others around them that they are a trusted friend.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:06 PM

11. I've seen it too Denninmi and been disgusted. Its not just "one troll whose been TSd already"!!111!!

Its been so many I made a post in Meta about how "we" collectively (DU in general) have been hurting DUers like you with the broad assumptions and ignorant conflation of anyone with a mental illness as being akin to Adam Lanza.

Very hurtful.

Thank you for your courage, your bravery and your persistence. You are making a difference. Stay strong.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:07 PM

12. Good post...

there were a number of disgusting threads a few weeks blaming the Newton shooting on Lanza's use of SSRIs, even though there was no evidend that Lanza was taking any medication at all.

There was definately an agenda being pushed.

Sid

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:02 PM

26. I agree

I wish you well in your recovery!

What bothers me most is that the extreme suspicion of medications that help treat various forms of mental illness sounds rather "Alex Jonesian" itself; yet anyone like him has to be "nuts" (rather than just a slick con man).

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:06 PM

27. rec

Because people are confusing mental illness with personality disorders. And because neither mental illness nor a personality killed 20 children . . . bullets did.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:06 PM

28. I applaud your courage, Denninmi..

Good on ya, as Thom Hartmann would say, for sharing your challenges, and for making an excellent point.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:14 PM

30. Wonderful post!

Your voice here is such a valuable one.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 04:23 PM

32. Well said. Courage to you.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:47 PM

36. You're exaggerating.

Seriously.

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgeGist (Reply #36)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:10 PM

38. Exaggerating what exactly?

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:06 PM

37. "how could someone in their "right mind"????"

That's what I keep hearing on the topic. How could someone in their right mind want to (or would it be "not want to") kill.... their spouse after catching them cheating, or the boss who fired them Christmas eve, the loan officer who made the bad loan and foreclosed on their home?

There are very ordinary situations and motives that are understood so universally that most of us can understand how someone might feel justified in killing. We understand this as rage rather than mental illness.

I see many people who are so dismayed by the recent killings that they are quick to shove aside the possibility that there is a kind of rage, or trail of murderous logic they do not understand.
It is much easier to think that people who may have bad intentions have been identified as having a mental illness because there is a chance they are being treated and don't blend in too easily.

I totally share your concerns and hope that threads like these serve to educate and improve our dialogue.

Reply to this post

Response to loyalsister (Reply #37)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:18 PM

39. It's curious that a couple of years ago DUers roundly rejected Intermittant Explosive Disorder

when it showed up in the news. Perhaps because they feared their own emotional moments would get them labelled.

But, in the fury that broke after Newtown, anyone doing something in a rage filled moment just MUST be mentally ill.

It's not a little bit frightening to listen to Barbara Boxer and Hosts and Analysts on MSNBC talk about the need to keep guns out the hands of the undefined mentally ill. Not because the mentally ill should have guns, but because there is no thought at all for the institutionalized witch hunts in private medical records that will be sanctioned to support that goal.

If we spoke about the need to direct policy against any other arbitrarily bounded class there would be shock. But such broadbrushes about 'the mentally ill' pass the lips of our celebrities without reflection on their ambiguity.

Reply to this post

Response to HereSince1628 (Reply #39)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:47 PM

43. broadbrushes about 'the mentally ill'

I have fluctuated between cutting them slack because they find it hard to understand and being angry about the lack of interest in questioning the behaviors outside of preconceptions.

But the lack of will to try to avoid making the experience of people with mental illnesses worse by adding another reason for stigma is lazy and ignorant.

Reply to this post

Response to loyalsister (Reply #43)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:12 PM

45. It's going to be shocking if moms who are treated for post-partem depression

with anti-depressants end up with their names in the same national database with felons.

In a country determined to turn all government functions over to for-profit vendors what could possibly go wrong?

Reply to this post

Response to HereSince1628 (Reply #45)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:03 AM

49. My thoughts exactly

Monitoring AA meetings will also be immensely popular

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:36 PM

41. When I think of someone who is mentally ill and dangerous I think of my uncle

First of all- Full disclosure I am bi-polar. I don't feel I am a danger to myself or others but I have no problem not knowing where the key to the gun safe is. My husband hasn't hid it I just don't care to know. He hunts has one or two hunting rifles and that is it. I don't like guns but that is another story.

I have an uncle who has been in two armed stand offs with police, TWO. THe last one lasted around 40 hours. He lived in the state of NH and like my father he had enough guns to arm a small country which the police took when they took him in to custody. He is very ill. But the state of NH is lousy at caring for the mentally ill. After the dust settled from the first armed stand off, they GAVE HIS GUNS BACK TO HIM because in NH we believe you have a RIGHT to your GUNS!

Now, after the second armed stand off, he was taken in to custody, put in the hospital for a short time and then put in jail for something like 6 months, WAY TO HELP THE MENTALLY ILL!!!

I am not sure if he got his guns back this time but the fact of the matter is you can go in to Walmart and buy a gun off the shelf no matter who you are because they don't do a background check on you.

I think that a PART of the problem is mental health care. Appropriate mental health care is a BIG problem for MANY reasons. My problems include FINDING a psychiatrist for meds that takes my insurance, FINDING a therapist, there is just too much to go in to where the mental health system is lacking. I am bipolar and have PTSD, I had a breakdown and DIDN'T go in to the hospital and probably should have. I have lived with the stigma of having to hide scars or lie about what caused them so I understand that it is a rough subject. But personally I don't feel like people like me are being attacked. I feel that mental illness is not being appropriately diagnosed and treated especially in young people. That being said, it is only one part of the problem. The GUNS are the other part.

The assault weapons have to go. Period. No one NEEDS an assault rifle. The gun lust in this country is sick. I don't care how many mass shootings are committed with assault rifles, one would be enough but it is ever so many more than one mass killing and how often are assault rifles not used? I think that is the real question.

But none of this will improve until we can get the vast majority of Americans to believe in the sanctity of human life over gun lust. THere are talking points and statistics and all kinds of excuses that want to absolve the use of guns to kill people and don't forget the laughable false equivalency between guns and car accidents.

So I don't know the answer but I just would like to suggest to those who share my challenges that it is ok to say untreated mental illness is a problem. It is the shame of this country the poor state of the mental health system and I don't take that as an attack and I hope with all my heart that others can try and not take it as an attack either. We face enough struggles without borrowing more.

Peace

Reply to this post

Response to Robyn66 (Reply #41)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:46 PM

48. If you are aware of a Wal-Mart selling guns without a background check,

that is a felony and needs to be reported to the ATF immediately.

Reply to this post

Response to Glaug-Eldare (Reply #48)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 07:37 AM

61. its legal in nh (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to Robyn66 (Reply #61)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:39 PM

73. 18 USC 922(t) spells out the law for FFLs

There is no state where FFLs are not required to perform background checks for purchasers. If Wal-Mart is involved in the retail sale of firearms, they must obey the laws for FFLs. If they are not obeying them, they need to be reported and audited by the ATF. They can catch huge fines and prison time for this.

Seriously. If this is a real complaint, forget whatever somebody told you about "how we do it in New Hampshire" and call ATF at 1-800-ATF-GUNS. Let them sweat the details.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:42 PM

42. Well-said, Denninmi! I wish people wold really =listen= to the endless side-effects mentioned in

drug ads, and consider what this may contribute to people's behavior and lives.

As I used to listen to these ads, I'd shout out like a set of Sushi chefs, "suicidal thoughts or behavior!" if it was one listed, and it often is.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=side+effects+suicidal&form=MOZSBR&pc=MOZI

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:19 AM

50. Well.....

I can't speak for the others, but I do not believe that any any type of mental problems equals being the type who can become a killer. That makes a *very small* percentage of those who are mentally ill. Those people have killed with different types of weapons.

I personally know a schizophrenic who says mental illness is not an excuse.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:34 AM

52. Well said, Denninmi.

We as a society are up to our necks in guns, bigotry, and hate. I guess it's easier to make a scapegoat of people with mental illness than it is to take a long hard look in the mirror. But it's wrong.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 12:49 AM

53. I believe it's a Red Herring anyway. There is no legal way to "use" the mental health system

as a "tool" to "fix" lurking inner demons such as inhabit violent offenders of any type. They are usually far beyond the available tools of diagnosing, counseling and pharmaceuticals. It is less an issue of the psyche than an issue of the wounded soul and/or spirit.

Warm regards, OP, in your courage and bravery...also in posting and sharing your experiences. I pray you have loved ones to assist you in your journey.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 01:35 AM

55. Thanks Denninmi for helping people understand.

The whole discussion and misinformation would be unnecessary if the instruments of killing were disposed of. But that will probably never happen in this country. Because of that, people end up looking for quick and easy solutions that end up placing blame to point away from the fact that we are in a hole that can't be fixed and it's a hole of our own making. Humans don't like being cornered; we all seek answers to dilemma and when we can't find it, we create something, anything to patch the empty hole and cover our fears. Unfortunately, cruel and stupid words are flung around and people get hurt.

When we do our best to help others see from a different perspective and make our points, it's not of any use or worth the effort to expect people to change or be moved. We just plant the seed and know we did our bit to make the point and move on.

Thanks for your strong and reasonable point of view.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 06:22 AM

57. K&R

It's primarily a technique to "other" someone that's found distasteful. If we say this or that man or woman was mentally ill, we don't have to look at ourselves as a society and wonder what we might have contributed to their actions. Mental illness might play a role in a mass shooting, but it certainly isn't an equal role to our constant glorification of violence. (I don't mean video games or movies. I mean glorification of real violence against real people.)

The platform murder wasn't mental illness, it was ignorance and hate. The same bullshit that caused hicks to drag an African American behind a pickup. They weren't mentally ill either. They were just hateful bigots. It's damned useful to scapegoat mentally ill people for that one, because then people don't have to look back at what they might have said about Muslims over the last decade that contributed to an atmosphere that made someone think it was ok to kill someone they thought looked like a Muslim.

I fear the mentally ill will be the last minority it's socially acceptable to attack, because it's the most convenient and useful one to use as a scapegoat.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 06:26 AM

59. Well Stated, My Friend

I too have been disturbed by those on this board that speak from a point of ignorance.

P

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 07:12 AM

60. I blame you...

on the fact I'm getting ready to go to work...

and haven't bought a dirt bike yet this year...

or washed my Honda for a few weeks...

Oh and it's all your fault I haven't taken down the Christmas lights yet, hopefully you'll stop being a roadblock and I'll get it done this weekend.

Reply to this post

Response to ileus (Reply #60)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 08:39 AM

62. Ah, go for it.

Especially the bike. I have my eye on a Specialized Stump Jumper mountain bike for the spring. I set 3 specific goals to meet at my gym, if I make all 3 by April 1 I'll get it, a couple of guys from the cycle club who do true mountain biking told me they would take me out in the spring and show me the ropes.

Hey, if you want to blame me for your plight, I'm happy to take it.

Reply to this post

Response to Denninmi (Reply #62)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:51 AM

65. I'd love to get a new Mt Bike

The opened a new trail system on National Forrest behind my house, but I never made it there. Some guys I know are riding nearly every weekend but I'm too lazy to get my bike out.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 09:17 AM

64. Not all gun owners are 'nuts' and kill people, not all with MI hurt others

(And by 'nuts' I refer to how some love to use the term gun nuts around here as though that makes the argument for them)

Used to be people blamed individuals and looked at the whys of what they did. Now it is more like the middle ages where we look for demons to blame.

If a gun was used, blame guns. If the person had a mental health history, fear all people with MI issues and want to make sure only 'good' people can buy guns.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 03:46 PM

74. Depression is not the same as being a sociopath. I have dealt with depression since high school.

Been on Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, etc. I had my own "breakdown" at 20. And I was on a psych ward for about 2 days. It sucks. Depression is an illness I wish on no one. I finally feel like have some control over it now. I take meds for it every day and hate the total hatred of meds because they really have saved my life.
I do feel like there needs to be more balance when we discuss mental illness. There are so many different types, some that are more inward then outward. Depression usually involves wanting to hurt yourself, I have never wanted to hurt anyone else.

Reply to this post

Response to Jennicut (Reply #74)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:08 PM

75. Exactly.

Some of the finest people I have ever met were a couple of guys and women I befriended during my three week partial hospitalization program. Good, kind souls who could feel great empathy for others, just not capable of handling their own issues without outside help.

Reply to this post

Response to Denninmi (Reply #75)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:47 PM

79. Good luck to you.

I have been there. I had a wonderful psychologist help me about 7 years ago. She made me feel that I was the one that could change my life instead of feeling like my depression controlled everything. Very non judgemental too. I found the right meds and learned coping strategies that helped.

Reply to this post

Response to Jennicut (Reply #79)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 07:14 PM

81. Hey, thanks!

I have a great therapist, too. Meds, meh, not a problem, doesn't bother me if I'm on it long term, generic lamictal is dirt cheap.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 04:54 PM

76. I imagine there are certain types of MI which are more prevalent in

Mass shootings/killings (including bombs).

It should be done more from a profiling angle where specific disorders are targeted FOR HELP.

But people with certain problems, hallucinations, psychosis, paranoia, probably shouldn't have access to guns.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #76)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:00 PM

77. That's the problem.

You imagine it.

Reply to this post

Response to Neoma (Reply #77)

Wed Jan 9, 2013, 05:04 PM

78. Are you saying I am wrong in targeting a gun ban against those symptoms?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread