HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Quite Telling Hagel Dynam...

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:43 AM

Quite Telling Hagel Dynamics...

Chuck Hagel Defense: The Combustible Politics Of Obama's Clearest Break From Bush

Lawrence Wilkerson, the retired Army colonel who was chief of staff to Colin Powell before the U.S. invasion of Iraq and has since emerged as a leading critic of the effort, said concerns about what Hagel might mean for U.S. foreign policy underlies much of the criticism about his nomination.

"It's not all about revenge or retaliation for anti-party stances in the past, but fear of what Hagel's advice and counsel might be in the future," Wilkerson told HuffPost in an email. “The hardline GOPers and the neocons have unfulfilled plans -- plans for Syria, Iran, and the greater Middle East. These plans, which envision almost endless conflict in the region, are in the main opposed by people such as Hagel.”"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/chuck-hagel-defense_n_2427786.html

4 replies, 596 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Quite Telling Hagel Dynamics... (Original post)
kpete Jan 2013 OP
truebluegreen Jan 2013 #1
spanone Jan 2013 #2
TwilightGardener Jan 2013 #3
freshwest Jan 2013 #4

Response to kpete (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:51 AM

1. As much as I deplore the visuals (i.e. must we ALWAYS have a Republican at Defense?)

I can live with Hagel. If it takes a Republican to re-set the default setting of war, war and more war, so be it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 AM

2. k&r...

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:42 AM

3. Can't remember where I read it--might have been a comment on another blog--

that Hagel will take the DoD away from the neocon-built "war footing" it's been on for the past 12 or so years, and the next administration, if Republican, will have to rebuild it all over again if they want to pick back up with their ME war adventures. Edit to add: I think that's a bit much to lay at Hagel's feet. I doubt he will be that transformative.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:43 AM

4. And PNAC smear machine is in full gear to catch the gullible. it always works.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread