HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A rant on the politics of...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:47 AM

A rant on the politics of cruelty

The Republican Party is controlled by a bloc of people with varied motives, but with a common purpose: To gain absolute power over all the rest of us.

Some claim to be “doing God’s work,” others wear a cloak of super-patriotism, and still others declare themselves to be defenders of capitalism. But make no mistake about it. Individually, their versions of religion, “American exceptualism,” and an unregulated “free market” add up to a toxic brew of intolerance, bigotry and greed. They dwell in a hate-filled fantasy in which intimidation, lies and cruelty are their weapons of choice.

We recently won a big election, but these people aren’t going away. Have office-holding teabaggers renounced their delusions? Are Christian “ayatollahs” packing their bags? Have the super wealthy given up their dream of owning everything and everyone?

Our election “victory” hasn’t stopped Republicans, especially at the state level, from continuing their wars on women, workers, immigrants, science, healthcare, education, sexual orientation, voting rights, atheists, the middle class and the poor, and on many freedoms we take for granted. And their undermining of democracy is aided and abetted by hate radio and Murdoch’s propaganda empire.

So what do we do about it? We can sign petitions, join picket lines and write to our congress critters. But in reality, it’s elected Democrats in positions of power that have to do most of the fighting. And we've got to stay on their asses to do it. If the next time around, the GOP wins (or steals) the presidency, the house and the senate, our lives will become a living hell and a dystopian future will have arrived.

3 replies, 441 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply A rant on the politics of cruelty (Original post)
Cyrano Jan 2013 OP
freshwest Jan 2013 #1
Cyrano Jan 2013 #2
freshwest Jan 2013 #3

Response to Cyrano (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:13 AM

1. The focus on Obama or D.C. as the cause of our ills doesn't change the mind next door.

That requires putting one's skin in the game. up close and personal and coming to some hard realizations about ourselves and our communities.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to freshwest (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:47 AM

2. Obama is not part of the cause of our ills.

He's as much a victim of the GOP's insanity as are the rest of us. Today's Republican Party is a disease and "changing the mind next door" just won't do enough to bring about a cure.

Reply to this post

Response to Cyrano (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 12:20 PM

3. The mind next door will not change. They have their culture, reinforced daily.

Treating elected Democrats like whipping posts is not supporting them. It's the overall numbers that matter. I live in what was once a very liberal area, but my reprentatives are outvoted by those who pretended to be something else on the left or right, but are baggers and libertarians.

They don't believe in what I voted my people in to do, and work everyday to undo it. You say Obama is a victim of the GOP, and I agree. Every one of us who wants a liberal, progressive society are being stifled by half the voting population who believe much differently than we do. The way Democrats go after each other constantly is not helping us get the numbers we need.

There is an urgent need to elect Democrats, since 60 million Americans voted for Romney/Ryan/Ayn Rand. They do not want a social safety net we fight about here, period. Nor do they believe they should pay any taxes or be regulated even if a law only says they cannot discriminate, extort and pollute.

They claim these things as their god-given right and want all publicly held assets in private hands, as they profit from that. Their financial and social relationships, often thorough church groups, are more important to them than a government working for all. They are for tribalism, as some on the 'left' advocate here, too.

It's not stupid to them to vote to grab public schools, parks, emergency services and health care as it goes into their pockets. So they will not change their minds and are not outraged by what Democrats are upset with.

I don't know exactly where you're going with the OP, and I may have gone too far afield, but don't think we're on the same page. If we talking of electoral politics, it's numbers. See you later.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread