HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Who was an exceptional te...

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:41 AM

Who was an exceptional teacher to you?

We have the thread with rotten teachers we had, but do you remember any exceptional teachers?

I had one. Mr Simenz, RIP.
(He died a couple years ago.)

Mr Simenz taught history, and he would have be DEE-LIGHTED with the History Channel pre-inclusion of shit programming like "Ancient Aliens."

He and I discovered our mutual great interest in world history from post-WW1 until now, especially WW2.

12 replies, 1558 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Who was an exceptional teacher to you? (Original post)
Archae Jan 2013 OP
chollybocker Jan 2013 #1
tama Jan 2013 #2
DollarBillHines Jan 2013 #3
Skittles Jan 2013 #4
Bucky Jan 2013 #5
Javaman Jan 2013 #6
Tommy_Carcetti Jan 2013 #7
KurtNYC Jan 2013 #8
justabob Jan 2013 #9
liberal_at_heart Jan 2013 #10
pinboy3niner Jan 2013 #11
Samantha Jan 2013 #12

Response to Archae (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:14 AM

1. Mr. Benoit.

"SPLIT FOR MATH BEE!"

He actually made me look forward to Monday, 8:30 am.

He wore short sleeves and rolled them up.

He broke chalk with his mind.

He also died a couple years ago. He's one of my heroes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:16 AM

2. Jiddu Krishnamurti

to mention first that came to mind.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:30 AM

3. My Grandfather

He taught me everything I needed to know.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 05:27 AM

4. Tom Morello's mom Mary

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 05:32 AM

5. Mr. Moroni motivated me to try Algebra II. I got it on the third try!

Mama Schuler was a loving, compassionate drama teacher who, like Mr. Moroni, got me to take risks. They changed me.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:14 AM

6. Where do I begin.

if it weren't for a small group of teachers throughout my life, I probably wouldn't have survived out of my teens. (I'm not kidding)

In elementary school. Both Miss Kabakoff sisters, Mrs. Starns, Mr. Buckle, Miss K.

Not many in my "lord of the fly's" junior high.

In high School: Mrs. Carpenter, Mrs. McNanny, Mr. Sklarz, Mr. Shultz.

Sadly, there are a few others, but my brain isn't what it used to be.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:20 AM

7. My 11th grade civics teacher.

She helped spark my interest in law and government and set me on my career path. She taught me about being a responsible and involved citizen.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:45 AM

8. My 6th grade teacher

He took all of the most difficult kids on the condition that his class size be capped at 24. One kid's father was in the mafia (and broke his older brother's leg when he found drugs on him), another was the daughter of an FBI agent, one kid was 15 and still in 6th grade, one kid fell asleep every day because his home life prevented him from sleeping at night, one kid was rail thin and this teacher bought him breakfast out of his own pocket daily. Another kid was a morbidly obese alcoholic (at 13) whose father was an OBGYN and his mother was committed.

This teacher engaged all of us. He loved challenges (obviously) and he made us love them. The classroom was filled with terrariums, aquariums, and cages and we filled them with animals to care for and study (I remember lots of snakes). We played softball every day that it was warm enough to do so. As a class we went and cut a Christmas tree and brought it to the classroom. We sold pizzas to raise money for the entire class to go on a one week trip at the end of the year to a state park. We learned a lot of biology and math.

I sometimes wondered how I got into the group and he told me that I was one of 2 easy ones but maybe he was just being nice. The whole class really bonded and I got to start Middle school with the street cred that comes from having tough friends.

We loved him. Still do.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:54 AM

9. Senora Patterson

Spanish I & II. Her class was HARD, but she made it fun with games etc. In Span II she wouldn't let us speak English without asking permission. By the end of term we were mostly fluent and I even thought in spanish. She was great. Sadly, I got a less than excellent teacher for III and lost all interest in the subject. I wish I had kept up with it. I remember a lot of vocabulary and verbs etc, but I can't string enough words together for anything useful besides cussing you out and getting food out of the kitchen when I waited tables.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:03 AM

10. I can't really think of any teachers that were either exceptionally good or exceptionally bad

Too many kids, too few teachers. I was just one of the wall flowers who never caught the attention of the teachers. I was a little jealous of the students who actually had a relationship with the teacher and got to talk to them everyday. They were the students who the teacher would inquire about if things were going particularly good or particularly bad and would try to help them.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:10 AM

11. Gene Friedman

He taught HS journalism and AP English and was the sponsor for the school newspaper. He quit being a working news reporter over ethical issues like being pressured to steal a photo of a deceased person if the grieving family declined to provide it. Gene also was heavily involved with the California Scholarship Federation, the ACLU and Amnesty International.

Gene would take some of us on unofficial field trips, like one I remember from L.A. down to the Shakespeare Festival in San Diego, and another to Beverly Hills to hear Ray Bradbury speak after a showing of a film based on Bradbury's short stories (and to have hot fudge sundaes at the old Brown Derby afterward).

At the end of each semester, Gene threw a party at his house for the school newspaper staff. The highlight of the party was Gene and the student editor doing a hilarious script written by Gene, with the editor as "Mr. Friedman" and Gene taking the parts of various student reporters as they explained why their news story was late or responded to Gene's corrections to their stories.

Gene stayed in touch with many of his former students, and he and I would get together for dinner occasionally over the years and decades. There must have been at least 200 of us former students at Gene's 80th birthday party--which he threw for himself by hiring a harbor cruise ship out of Newport Beach and taking us all on a dinner cruise--at his expense. He asked that we not bring birthday presents, but we were permitted to contribute essays about our school memories...and there were a LOT of essays. We lost Gene just a few years later.

He was a great teacher and a great human being. R.I.P., Gene.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 AM

12. My high school art teacher, Florian Svitak

He was the only one who encouraged me in a field I loved. I had been drawing portraits of people around me since I was about five years old. I have always loved doing this.

I wanted to do an internet search for him to find out what happened to him, after so many decades have passed. It has been a long time since I was in high school, but I did not want to look for him and find out something bad had happened. Last night after reading the bad teacher thread, I thought I wish we had a thread about good teachers. And then I went out and looked for information on Mr. Svitak. This is what I found:

http://www.stevenson.edu/explore/gallery/archives/svitak.html

Please, please check out this link. I believe you will be as awed by his work as I was and am.

Sam

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread