HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I am seriously disturbed ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:14 PM

I am seriously disturbed that someone alerted on this thread

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by REP (a host of the General Discussion forum).

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022151452

First of all, please read this by Bill Maher:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/opinion/please-stop-apologizing.html?_r=0

The essential point of Maher's op-ed is that apologizing for or censoring speech that offends someone has the effect of limiting conversation. The discussions on topics become bland, to the point where it's difficult or impossible to have discussions and adequately deal with issues. the post in question dealt with the death of a child from eating chili powder which, admittedly, is sad. And it sucks. The comment, "Ban chili powder now," alludes to cases where people overreact to situations and do more harm than good.

Here's an example of an overreaction: 9/11. A lot of people were killed, a lot of people jumped to their deaths. I clearly remember a girl on TV loudly bemoaning that she "didn't feel safe" anymore. That was a archetypical response to the general anxiety that a lot of people felt, to be sure, but the way that the government responded (Bush) was to go crazy with "security," using that kind of reaction as a justification. We got the Patriot Act and the TSA, warrentless wiretapping and a whole lot of other stuff that actually is really bad for our freedoms. It sounds like a cliche but in this case isn't - those are the real freedoms that we should be preserving, as opposed to the bullshit freedoms Republicans are always concerned about like the freedom to choose your favorite cell phone network, or the freedom to spend a lot at Christmas buying crap from China.

This may come as a shock to some people, but we are never safe, and we never will be. There will always be things that can happen that will kill us. Randomly. Trying to prevent all possible cases of random death will only lead us to live timid lives, where we never take risks and never face challenges. At that point we will no longer be living beings. Furthermore, demanding safety gives others control over us. In the case of 9/11, it gave control to the government (the aforementioned Bush) to take away our freedoms - something bin Laden couldn't do but we willingly let Bush do. And yes, I understand that it wasn't all of us, but maybe the rest of us didn't fight back for our freedoms enough.

The comments about the post in question say things like, "It's distasteful to make light of the death of a child." Would it be ok if an adult had died? Is it completely not ok to make light of anything bad that happens to a child? There are some valid points to the joke, things we should be discussing more openly without fear of offending someone. Sure, some people will be offended, and somebody will be offended by whatever someone else says. That's life! Fucking deal with it, because your offense doesn't give you the right to shut people up.

Let me take this a step further. There are words that people here get offended by, regardless of the context. But sometimes calling someone a pussy is the RIGHT THING TO DO! Sometimes calling someone a dick IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO! Words are used to convey information and sometimes, the choice of word does a better job than another, bland, word. To call the "rape team" a bunch of dicks is only wrong in the sense that it comes absolutely nowhere near as strong as it needs to. If I get offended by that - to use a word for male anatomy is a negative way that I feel demeans men - is, firstly, kind of stupid but moreover, it limits the conversation that really needs to happen. We need to talk about rape, what to do about it, how far to go, and we need to talk about it in the most blunt and truthful manner that we can. We owe it to ourselves and our society not to say, "well gee whiz, that's kind of, maybe, unfortunate that girls are, you know, sometimes put in not the most optimal situation." We need to say, "Those fucking DICKS who pumped up their fucking DICKS and did this shit to people, with the help of those fucking bastards in their community who said 'Football is everything' need to get their asses kicked and thrown into federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison!" Incidentally, that line is taken from the movie Office Space, and the use of the phrase had a much bigger and better impact than some weak-assed euphamism like, I don't know, "correctional center."

The Rude Pundit understands how to use words to effectively make his point. Are people offended by it? Hell yeah, and that's the whole fucking point! Deal with it, then talk about the issue. In the above post, the offended go past outrage over words and deeply into outrage over thoughts, thoughts that express issues that we should talk about.

So, to the word/thought police, Go To Hell. Go directly to hell. Do not pass fucking go, do not collect 200 fucking dollars.

4 replies, 578 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply I am seriously disturbed that someone alerted on this thread (Original post)
mindwalker_i Jan 2013 OP
elleng Jan 2013 #1
jberryhill Jan 2013 #2
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 #3
REP Jan 2013 #4

Response to mindwalker_i (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:20 PM

1. Silly to 'ban hyperbolic post that makes light of a child being abused to death,'

if that's what occurred.

I don't see this as a particularly 'relevant' post for DU, but there's a lot in the news about which people are interested, I guess.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:21 PM

2. That thread is not an invitation to productive discussion

That thread is simply puerile bait.

DU is not the full "marketplace of ideas".

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:23 PM

3. The presentation of your thread will likely get it locked. If you recontextualize it regarding

the points made in the thread but not that it was locked you'll stand a better chance of having it left alone.

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:24 PM

4. Locking

This topic violates the SoP of this Forum.