Judge orders Catholic leaders in Los Angeles to name abusers
A US judge Monday ordered Catholic leaders in Los Angeles to identify senior church officials accused of sexually abusing children, in a move welcomed by campaigners for victims.
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles immediately pledged to comply with the order by LA Superior Court judge Emilie Elias, which reversed part of a 2011 ruling.
“The archdiocese will abide by Judge Elias’ decision. We are now working with all parties involved to facilitate the release of the documents as promptly as possible,” said a archdiocese statement.
In 2011 a judge ruled against naming senior clerics, due to fears that including the names of the hierarchy could be used to embarrass the church further.
But Elias said the public’s right to know how the archdiocese handled abuse claims outweighed such concerns, and therefore ordered the names to be reinstated in documents where they had been blanked out.