HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Everything we eat causes ...

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 09:14 PM

Everything we eat causes cancer…sort of

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/everything-we-eat-causes-cancer/

That means you can avoid cancer by avoiding processed meats, red meat, GMO-associated food (no, probably not), aspartame, food colorings, or anything “unnatural.” Or so it would seem from reading the popular literature and sometimes even the scientific literature. As I like to say to my medical students, life is a sexually transmitted fatal disease that gets us all eventually, but most of us would like to delay the inevitable as long as possible and remain as healthy as possible for as long as possible. One of the most obvious ways to do accomplish these twin aims is through diet. While the parameters of what constitutes a reasonably healthy diet have been known for decades, diet still ranks high on the risk of concerns regarding actions we take on a daily basis that can increase our risk of various diseases. Since cancer is disease (or, I should say, cancers are diseases) that many, if not most, people consider to be the scariest, naturally we worry about whether certain foods or food ingredients increase our risk of cancer.

Thus was born the field of nutritional epidemiology, a prolific field with thousands of publications annually. Seemingly, each and every one of these thousands of publications gets a news story associated with it, because the media love a good “food X causes cancer” or “food Y causes heart disease” story, particularly before the holidays. As a consequence, consumers are bombarded with what I like to call the latest health risk of the week, in which, in turn, various foods, food ingredients, or environmental “toxins” are blamed and exonerated for a panoply of health problems, ranging from the minor to the big three, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer. It’s no wonder that consumers are confused, reacting either with serial alarm at each new “revelatory” study or with a shrug of the shoulders as each new alarm joins other alarms to produce a tinnitus-like background drone. Unfortunately, this cacophony of alarm also provides lots of ammunition to quacks, cranks, and crackpots to tout their many and varied diets that, they promise, will cut your risk of diseases like cancer and heart disease to near zero—but only if adhered to with monk-like determination and self-denial. (Yes, I’m talking about you, Dean Ornish, among others.)

All of this is why I really wanted to write about an article I saw popping up in the queue of articles published online ahead of print about a month ago. Somehow, other topics intervened, as did my vacation and then the holidays, and somehow I missed it last week, even though a link to the study sits in my folder named “Blog fodder.” Fortunately, it just saw print this week in its final version, giving me an excuse to make up for my oversight. It’s a study by one of our heroes (despite his occasional misstep) here on the SBM blog, John Ioannidis. It comes in the form of a study by Jonathan D. Schoenfeld and John Ioannidis in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition entitled, brilliantly, Is everything we eat associated with cancer? A systematic cookbook review.

----------------------

Both the article and linked study are good reads.

4 replies, 542 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Everything we eat causes cancer…sort of (Original post)
Godhumor Jan 2013 OP
derby378 Jan 2013 #1
OffWithTheirHeads Jan 2013 #2
undergroundpanther Jan 2013 #3
spanone Jan 2013 #4

Response to Godhumor (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 09:29 PM

1. You knew this was coming...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 09:31 PM

2. Yeah, the minute you are born, you start dying.

The trick is to try to enjoy your stay. To that end, I will eat and drink and smoke what I enjoy knowing full well that I am going to die.

My MIL just celebrated her 90th. No thanks! I'd sooner leave earlier.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:38 PM

3. about time!

Also remember when the CDC overestimated how many deaths were caused by obesity?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/apr/20/20050420-124451-2201r/?page=all..
The history of public health is a case in hysteria,with some science thrown in.

After all most people are scared to die,scared of being powerless,scared to love,scared of their own emotions, scared of fat,etc.etc.etc.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:45 PM

4. as george carlin once said....

one day they'll find that saliva causes cancer, but only when taken in small amounts over a long period of time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread