HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A Question about Obama Ca...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:58 PM

A Question about Obama Care.

It's been noted that some business's are starting to cut, or planning to cut employee hours to under 30 hours per week to punk out on paying for their employees to have access to health care.

My question is

Are 29 hour minimum wage employees going to be charged anything for their health care because their employers punk out using the loophole?

If the employees do have to pay anything, how much will they have to pay at minimum wage, working 29 hours per week?

Simple question for someone who's been keeping up with the program. I'm not familiar with it, I don't have US health care. Thus the question.

4 replies, 502 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Question about Obama Care. (Original post)
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 OP
frazzled Jan 2013 #1
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #3
frazzled Jan 2013 #4
PoliticAverse Jan 2013 #2

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 07:06 PM

1. Using the calculator for the ACA premiums

I put in a yearly income of $11,484 (using minimum wage in my state of $8.25/hr), and then entered info for a single individual, age 30, in a "medium" regional cost factor. The result was: MEDICAID. So the hypothetical worker would have no premium costs at all and would be eligible for Medicaid.

Your mileage may vary. The cost calculator is here:

http://healthreform.kff.org/subsidycalculator.aspx

ON EDIT: I did the same calculation at an $8.25 per hour wage for 35 hours per week. The answer still came out MEDICAID, because the worker would be at 120% of poverty level. Because the Affordable Care Act offers Medicaid to people above the poverty level, this worker would still get free medical care.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to frazzled (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 07:20 PM

3. This puts an interesting spin on things.

So basically these corporations who call themselves small business's have just found another way to get us to pay for their responsibilities.

They're punishing the employees by taking away hours that most of them really need to feed their families, and those who don't have all the tax loopholes pick up the tab.

Am I reading that right?

This is disgusting.

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 07:25 PM

4. No, they don't necessarily have to cut back your hours

If they're paying minimum wage, it would seem that if they opt out of insurance, the government will be paying the full price of your Medicaid, or close to full price of a private plan. Because at $8.25 an hour, you're still at most just over poverty level.

I'd be surprised if any employers paying minimum wage right now (pre the ACA) offer insurance ... or at least any decent kind of insurance.

In other words, if these companies were bad players before, they'll still be bad players after. But the workers will win something.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread