HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Elliott Abrams just flat ...

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:38 PM

Elliott Abrams just flat out called Chuck Hagel an anti-semite

Just now on NPR. He was dogging Hagel for not wanting to fight Israel's war in Iran. Called Hagel an anti-semite over and over again. Also claimed that Hagel didn't show enough fealty to AIPAC.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/07/168817789/hagel-critic-he-seems-to-have-some-kind-of-problem-with-jews

Former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, tapped by President Obama to serve as the next Secretary of Defense, is coming under fire from conservatives for his past positions on Israel, Iran and Iraq. Elliott Abrams is one of the critics. Abrams served in the administrations of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush and is now a senior fellow for Middle Eastern studies at the Council on Foreign Relations. He speaks with Melissa Block about his concerns.

19 replies, 1748 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Elliott Abrams just flat out called Chuck Hagel an anti-semite (Original post)
Kooljas Jan 2013 OP
sadbear Jan 2013 #1
TwilightGardener Jan 2013 #2
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #3
Kooljas Jan 2013 #5
Purveyor Jan 2013 #6
Kolesar Jan 2013 #13
FarCenter Jan 2013 #4
ChairmanAgnostic Jan 2013 #7
Cali_Democrat Jan 2013 #8
think Jan 2013 #9
Kooljas Jan 2013 #14
think Jan 2013 #15
closeupready Jan 2013 #10
Octafish Jan 2013 #11
closeupready Jan 2013 #12
Adenoid_Hynkel Jan 2013 #16
Comrade Grumpy Jan 2013 #17
spanone Jan 2013 #18
randome Jan 2013 #19

Response to Kooljas (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:40 PM

1. My support for Hagel has just been ratcheted up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:40 PM

2. Swiftboats on attack. Manned by chickenhawks, this time.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:43 PM

3. Was Abrams part of the group that sold missles to Iran under Raygun??

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:51 PM

5. Yup, but never indicted

He's a real peach. Also supported death squads in El Salvador

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #3)

6. Elliott Abrams, Massacre-Denialist, Hailed as a Statesman

Well there is this:

By David Corn| Thu Dec. 6, 2012 10:04 AM PST

This morning I received a press release with this announcement:

The Washington Institute for Near East Policy will give Elliott Abrams, CFR's senior fellow for Middle East Studies, its Scholar-Statesman Award at a dinner in New York City tonight. The Scholar-Statesman Award celebrates leaders who exemplify the idea that sound scholarship and a discerning knowledge of history are essential to effective policy, as well as the advancement of peace and security in the Middle East.

I nearly choked. Why? The easiest way to explain is for me to crib and post here an article I wrote for The Nation over a decade ago:

"How would you feel if your wife and children were brutally raped before being hacked to death by soldiers during a military massacre of 800 civilians, and then two governments tried to cover up the killings?" It's a question that won't be asked of Elliott Abrams at a Senate confirmation hearing because George W. Bush, according to press reports, may appoint Abrams to a National Security Council staff position that (conveniently!) does not require Senate approval. Moreover, this query is one of a host of rude, but warranted, questions that could be lobbed at Abrams, the Iran/contra player who was an assistant secretary of state during the Reagan years and a shaper of that Administration's controversial—and deadly—policies on Latin America and human rights. His designated spot in the new regime: NSC's senior director for democracy, human rights and international operations. (At press time, the White House and Abrams were neither confirming nor denying his return to government.)

Bush the Second has tapped a number of Reagan/Bush alums who were involved in Iran/contra business for plum jobs: Colin Powell, Richard Armitage, Otto Reich and John Negroponte. But Abrams's appointment—should it come to pass—would mark the most generous of rehabilitations. Not only did Abrams plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts of lying to Congress about the Reagan Administration's contra program, he was also one of the fiercest ideological pugilists of the 1980s, a bad-boy diplomat wildly out of sync with Bush's gonna-change-the-tone rhetoric. Abrams, a Democrat turned Republican who married into the cranky Podhoretz neocon clan, billed himself as a "gladiator" for the Reagan Doctrine in Central America—which entailed assisting thuggish regimes and militaries in order to thwart leftist movements and dismissing the human rights violations of Washington's cold war partners.

One Abrams specialty was massacre denial. During a Nightline appearance in 1985, he was asked about reports that the US-funded Salvadoran military had slaughtered civilians at two sites the previous summer. Abrams maintained that no such events had occurred. And had the US Embassy and the State Department conducted an investigation? "My memory," he said, "is that we did, but I don't want to swear to it, because I'd have to go back and look at the cables." But there had been no State Department inquiry; Abrams, in his lawyerly fashion, was being disingenuous. Three years earlier, when two American journalists reported that an elite, US-trained military unit had massacred hundreds of villagers in El Mozote, Abrams told Congress that the story was commie propaganda, as he fought for more US aid to El Salvador's military. The massacre, as has since been confirmed, was real. And in 1993 after a UN truth commission, which examined 22,000 atrocities that occurred during the twelve-year civil war in El Salvador, attributed 85 percent of the abuses to the Reagan-assisted right-wing military and its death-squad allies, Abrams declared, "The Administration's record on El Salvador is one of fabulous achievement." Tell that to the survivors of El Mozote.

MORE...

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/12/elliott-abrams-massacre-denialist-hailed-statesman

Reply to this post

Response to Purveyor (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 05:17 PM

13. Good catch...eom

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:49 PM

4. Elliott Abrams is an Israeli stooge.

Reply to this post

Response to FarCenter (Reply #4)

7. Any doubts I had about Hagel are now gone.

He has 100% of my support. Abrams' job is done.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:53 PM

8. Good

Makes me more convinced that Hagel is the right choice.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:56 PM

9. Why would anyone listen to the likes of Elliott Abrams? :

During investigation of the Iran-Contra Affair, Lawrence Walsh, the Independent Counsel tasked with investigating the case, prepared multiple felony counts against Abrams but never indicted him. Instead, Abrams entered into a plea agreement with Walsh. Abrams pled guilty to two misdemeanors of withholding information from Congress.He was sentenced to a $50 fine, probation for two years, and 100 hours of community service. However, Abrams was pardoned by President George H. W. Bush, in December 1992 (as he was leaving office following his loss in that year in the U.S. presidential election). On February 5, 1997, the D.C. Court of Appeals publicly censured Abrams for giving false testimony on three occasions before congressional committees. Although a majority of the court voted to impose a public censure, three judges in the majority would have imposed a suspension of six months, and a fourth judge would have followed the recommendation of the Board on Professional Responsibility that Abrams be suspended for a year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Abrams#Nicaragua

Reply to this post

Response to think (Reply #9)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 05:43 PM

14. Couldn't believe it when I heard NPR would be interviewing him

No disclosure of his past.

Reply to this post

Response to Kooljas (Reply #14)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:03 PM

15. As a fan of NPR it surprises me also /nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:58 PM

11. The mass murder ''condoner'' Elliott Abrams of PNAC fame?

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Zeroes/Elliot_Abrams.html

Just another GOPervert who used his government service to kill and get his rocks off.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Elliott_Abrams

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 04:59 PM

12. Who cares.

Hagel is not being nominated for Israeli Defense Secretary. Israel is a sovereign state that can take care of itself without US help.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:12 PM

16. Convicted felon Elliott Abrams loves Israel so much, he helped sell arms to Iran

This crook would be making license plates in the federal pen had Poppy Bush not pardoned him

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:17 PM

17. Elliot Abrams should be serving time, not being interviewed on NPR.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:36 PM

18. hey elliot, i'm not an anti-semite and i don't want to fight israel's war in iran or anywhere else.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:38 PM

19. More "If you're not with us, you're against us" bullshit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread