HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Obama’s Cheney? "Ass...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:32 PM

Obama’s Cheney? "Assassination Czar" John Brennan Brings Legacy of Drone War and Torture to CIA Nod

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/1/7/obamas_cheney_assassination_czar_john_brennan

<>Dubbed the "assassination czar," presumptive CIA nominee John Brennan has played a key role backing some of the nation’s most controversial post-9/11 policies, from the secret drone war to wireless surveillance. Brennan was a rumored pick for the job when Obama was first elected in 2008 but was forced to withdraw from consideration amid protests over his role at the CIA under George W. Bush and his public support for the CIA’s policies of so-called "enhanced interrogation techniques" and extraordinary rendition. We’re joined by Marcy Wheeler, an investigative blogger with the website EmptyWheel.net. Wheeler calls Brennan’s nomination "a testament to what kind of hard-nosed person Barack Obama has become and the degree to which his policies really are just a continuation of the Bush-Cheney policies."

<>MARCY WHEELER: Well, what your readers, what your listeners should know, first of all, is that John Brennan has lied explicitly about drones in the past. In 2011, 2010, he basically said there had been no civilian casualties at all from drones. So when John Brennan makes public statements—he also had a famous press conference right after the killing of Osama bin Laden where he made a lot of misleading statements, as well. So, when John Brennan says something, you shouldn’t necessarily believe John Brennan. And we know from what he said in that speech, there were specific details that were inaccurate. So, Obama’s notion of being transparent with John Brennan, a proven liar, doesn’t fly.

<>MEDEA BENJAMIN: I speak out on behalf of Tariq Aziz, a 16-year-old in Pakistan, who was killed because he wanted to document the drone strikes. I speak out on behalf of Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, a 16-year-old born in Denver, killed in Yemen, just because his father was someone we don’t like. I speak out on behalf of the Constitution, on behalf of the rule of law. I love the rule of law. I love my country. You are making us less safe by killing so many innocent people.

I agree ...our corporate over lords are creating more terrorists as a reaction to the killing of the innocent. It's a job security thing ...for them.

4 replies, 591 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama’s Cheney? "Assassination Czar" John Brennan Brings Legacy of Drone War and Torture to CIA Nod (Original post)
L0oniX Jan 2013 OP
LIBertea Jan 2013 #1
L0oniX Jan 2013 #2
L0oniX Jan 2013 #3
librechik Jan 2013 #4

Response to L0oniX (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:45 PM

1. Is that Nobel Peace Prize back yet??

It should be ... any time now...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LIBertea (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:52 PM

2. The one from the inventor of dynamite?

Alfred Nobel was born on 21 October 1833 in Stockholm, Sweden, into a family of engineers. He was a chemist, engineer, and inventor. In 1894, Nobel purchased the Bofors iron and steel mill, which he made into a major armaments manufacturer. Nobel also invented ballistite, a precursor to many smokeless military explosives, especially the British smokeless powder cordite. Nobel was even involved in a patent infringement lawsuit over cordite. Nobel amassed a fortune during his lifetime, with most of his wealth from his 355 inventions, of which dynamite is the most famous.

IMO that prize is morally worthless.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:34 PM

3. kick

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:58 PM

4. Brennan's a tool

he is just taking orders from The Top whoever that is.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread