HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Is it possible the corpor...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:13 PM

Is it possible the corporate media is using Guns as a divisive distraction issue

They just passed a really crappy tax deal for 98% of the population

They are still planning cuts to the safety net to pay for their wars and Big Government

They allowed the banks to steal our homes, then gave them a bailout for their trouble and hard work.

They just gave the banks another 'punishment' where they have to spend almost 7 billion buying our homes on the cheap.

I know everyone is upset about the shooting and all, but is it possible the corporate media and politicians are running with this issue because it is a divisive distraction from the real problems going on.

I can assure you, they have already killed more than that shooting with their horrible economic dealings. Millions living on the street is not exactly a healthy lifestyle.

Millions of school children are homeless, with a million more foreclosures on the way...

Just how many to they plan to kill with their cuts to the safety net in the upcoming debt ceiling bullshit?

Look at how people come to DU to talk about guns - could they be coming from somewhere else in order to keep guns the constant topic at DU?

12 replies, 573 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Is it possible the corporate media is using Guns as a divisive distraction issue (Original post)
No Compromise Jan 2013 OP
bongbong Jan 2013 #1
No Compromise Jan 2013 #12
leftstreet Jan 2013 #2
RevStPatrick Jan 2013 #3
TheKentuckian Jan 2013 #4
AnotherMcIntosh Jan 2013 #5
TheKentuckian Jan 2013 #6
No Compromise Jan 2013 #7
randome Jan 2013 #8
Silent3 Jan 2013 #9
No Compromise Jan 2013 #11
jody Jan 2013 #10

Response to No Compromise (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:16 PM

1. Guns have always been a wedge issue

And like all wedge issues, they're to distract the "rabble".

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bongbong (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 10:46 PM

12. they've been talking about abortion for thirty or more years

I'm sick of it, to each their own,isn't that the whole idea in this free country.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:18 PM

2. For most Americans it's not really a divisive issue

With all due respect to the 'passionate' sides here at DU, most Americans haven't changed their views. They want the right to own a gun, even if they have no intention of doing so - but they don't want mentally unstable people to have that right. It's pretty simple

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:18 PM

3. Possible?

Of course, the corporate media uses everything as divisive distraction issue.
That's corporate media 101.
Wouldn't want us proles to know what's REALLY going on!

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:23 PM

4. It is the sole source of Turd Way "liberal" street cred

when combined with thoughts like "I'm over the debt ceiling stuff and am focusing on gun control" and "we need to make gun control a part of the war on terror", I say yes.

An easy distraction.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:26 PM

5. YES!

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:28 PM

6. I'll add, not just for us either.

Some of those Red voters are waking up to the fleecing and lies, what better to keep them in their corners than this old chestnut. Especially when the flogging the gays is losing traction and the theocracy just doesn't sell much anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to TheKentuckian (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:10 PM

7. yes, and when those irrational angry people finally find out they have been duped

there will be hell to pay in their own party.

I can't wait, and will do anything I can to help push them in that direction.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:12 PM

8. It's the Internet Age. Every conceivable subject is divisive in one way or another.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:20 PM

9. Look at how many threads get posted on DU about the subject of guns

This hardly needs to be part of some conspiratorial distraction plot designed by the Corporate Overlords to be explained. Many DUers are clearly jumping into the frenzy on this issue of their own accord.

All this shows is that the media is just as prone to emotionalism and sensationalism as many of us are, and just as bored by what are often very important, but not very sexy or flashy topics.

Sure, I'd like to see major news organizations do a better job, take a greater responsibility in favoring substance over sensationalism, but to the extent that they fail to do so all you need to do is look to human nature and ratings -- no Diabolical Conspiracy of Distraction is required.

Reply to this post

Response to Silent3 (Reply #9)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 02:14 PM

11. If everyone would just stop posting in response to dumb gun threads, they would just drop

and then we could talk about the things that need to be done to fix the nation.

I thought if I brought this up, perhaps some people who are being mislead would realize it and help focus on more important topics.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 01:52 PM

10. Unlikely IMO, they keep stirring the pot until the next divisive, polarizing issue comes along.

The right to keep and bear arms is like others for which there can be no compromise between the two extremes, either ban it or permit it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread