HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Because Obama has been el...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:25 PM

Because Obama has been elected twice, does that mean racism is in the past?

I heard something similar to this on the thread about white male privilege and it makes me wonder what world some people are living in. Some one else said that many whites get upset if they get reminded about racism. I think that's true even here on DU, many whites want to act is if Obama's election made racism go away.

18 replies, 1144 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Because Obama has been elected twice, does that mean racism is in the past? (Original post)
MightyMopar Jan 2013 OP
bettyellen Jan 2013 #1
Cali_Democrat Jan 2013 #2
Undismayed Jan 2013 #3
bluestate10 Jan 2013 #4
Kalidurga Jan 2013 #5
Speck Tater Jan 2013 #6
Fumesucker Jan 2013 #12
pinboy3niner Jan 2013 #14
MyshkinCommaPrince Jan 2013 #7
Romulox Jan 2013 #8
JReed Jan 2013 #9
cntrfthrs Jan 2013 #10
MightyMopar Jan 2013 #15
Bucky Jan 2013 #11
bemildred Jan 2013 #13
Freddie Stubbs Jan 2013 #16
LisaLynne Jan 2013 #17
Paladin Jan 2013 #18

Response to MightyMopar (Original post)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:33 PM

1. I heard women have equal pay, same person said 80% of mens salary IS equal... also that we don't

want equal rights because we currently have MORE rights than men.
You can't make this shit up, LOL.

I think the Teabagger prove racism is alive and well in the USA.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:35 PM

2. I think most DUers don't think racism has gone away since Obama's election and re-election

If anything, it's probably worse now. And the DUers who think racism has gone away after Obama's election are probably GOPer trolls. We have a few of them here. Point me to someone on DU who says racism is a thing of the past and I will show you a Republican troll that spouts GOP talking points.

And, yes, white male privilege is real and anyone who denies it is likely a white male conservative.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:39 PM

3. There's still plenty of racism around, that's for sure.

Here's some proof.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:40 PM

4. The re-election of the President says that people that vote for democratic values

don't care what the person they vote for look like. Their interests are more centered around whether that person shares their values. The country is far more racially diverse than it was in the fifties, eighties, or even the nineties, that is reflected in less concern about a person's race by the majority of the electorate.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:41 PM

5. Wowsers

Well, I used to think that conservatives weren't racists. I thought maybe just a small percent are so I wouldn't have painted them with the broad brush of being racists. Now, after seeing how they adore their racist/homophobic leaders I think that it's the other way around. A small percent of conservatives are probably not racist.

I think that people that fail to acknowledge the problem are probably racist as well. It isn't like the effects are hard to see. So, you would have to be deliberately obtuse to not see that black people are followed by security more than white people, get pulled over by the police more often, are arrested in large numbers for possession even though the percentage of users is about the same between blacks and whites. And then there is the issue with guns. White men with guns are protecting themselves. Black men with guns are a menace to society.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:47 PM

6. There are people who still believe the Earth is flat.

We will always have some percentage of troglodytes among us.

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:57 AM

12. Shape of the Earth? Opinions differ. We'll be right back with our panel of pundits after the break

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #12)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 08:25 AM

14. CNN: Too close to call

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:19 AM

7. It's not gone.

It isn't gone, but if many in our culture now assume it is no longer an issue, do we need to find new ways to discuss the topic, to keep it constructive? Umm. I'm not sure what that would mean, in practice, and that's just an abstracted thought possibly brought on by an excess of coffee. It just seems like it would be sensible to try to adapt, if the point of any discourse on racism is to help move matters forward.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:24 AM

8. Link? nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:25 AM

9. No

some like to think that it's all post-racial and post-ideological but reality sez otherwise...

beware of slogans

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 02:07 AM

10. No...

Obama was elected twice not because racism is dead...he was elected twice in spite of racism...

Reply to this post

Response to cntrfthrs (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 08:53 AM

15. Very true

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 06:52 AM

11. Well, it's not doing well among some groups of Americans.

Racism isn't a binary proposition. It's not a toggle switched "on" or "off." It comes in gradations and manifests itself in all sorts of people for a variety of situations. I know you don't expect an easy yes/no answer, but positing the question does set up an obvious answer that's bound to miss a lot of nuance and progress in today's reality. For instance, how do you label people who might've supported Obama in early 2008, but didn't because they didn't think a black man could get elected nation-wide? That's certainly a pre-judgment, but not an expression of personal disregard. A lack of faith in the rest of the country is not the same as a lack of disregard for old notional of race-based capabilities.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 08:21 AM

13. No, not even. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 08:56 AM

16. Of course not. But it is also silly to argue that things aren't getting better

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 09:01 AM

17. I think Pres. Obama's elect actually made some racism more blantant.

The whole birther thing is to be so fundamentally racist. It's like they are thinking at some level, "He's not white. He can't be a 'real' American!" That to me is so telling and such deep-rooted racism that it just makes me sick to see how far we still, as a culture and a nation, have to go.

I am white and I would love for racism to be a thing of the past. However, I live firmly in reality, where that is far from the case, unfortunately.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 09:04 AM

18. You Have To Be Really Naive, To Believe Something Like That. (nt)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread