HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Have Any Of You Guys Been...

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:52 PM

Have Any Of You Guys Been Following The Story Re: The Tuscon Schools ??? - Infuriating !!!

The quick down-low...

They shut down the Ethnic Studies Program, while retaining their European Studies.

They banned the books for the studies, and made the kids hand them over. Many with tears in their eyes when they did so.

They told the kids that if you want to learn "Mexican Studies" (they were Mexican-American Studies) that they should go to Mexico.

When the kids walked out of class in protest, they were punished by being assigned JANITORIAL DUTIES!!!

Link: http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonorans/2012/01/17/week-of-student-protests-to-culminate-in-massive-absence-on-jan-24th-100th-day-of-classes/

Link: http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonorans/2012/01/13/the-day-after-senior-ditch-day-only-students-that-walked-out-get-punished-at-cholla-hs/

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/tucson-ethnic-studies_b_1224256.html

These are children... all of our children... FUCK !!!

8 replies, 1146 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Have Any Of You Guys Been Following The Story Re: The Tuscon Schools ??? - Infuriating !!! (Original post)
WillyT Jan 2012 OP
The Wielding Truth Jan 2012 #1
caraher Jan 2012 #2
elleng Jan 2012 #3
Starry Messenger Jan 2012 #4
caraher Jan 2012 #5
redqueen Jan 2012 #6
PA Democrat Jan 2012 #7
WillyT Jan 2012 #8

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:54 PM

1. I heard about it on Mike Malloy. It's another regressive assult on civility and education.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:57 PM

2. You know something's wrong with our educational system...

when those supervising education start declaring entire areas of knowledge off-limits.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:01 PM

3. Sick.

I'll never go to Arizona.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:09 PM

4. I've been posting and tweeting about it.

If there's ever a March on Tuscon, I want to be there. This is some jackbooted shit.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:10 PM

5. I just read the school board resolution ending the MAS curriculum

What a load of Orwellian bullshit! (see the sidebar on this site, which includes the resolution)

The Mexican-American Studies (MAS) Department is and shall remain an organizational contributor to TUSD’s commitment to greater academic and social equity for Hispanic Students.

All MAS courses and teaching activities, regardless of the budget line from which they are funded, shall be suspended immediately.

WTF? How the hell does one reconcile sentence 1 with sentence 2?

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:13 PM

6. As obliquely as possible.

It pains me to know this is happening.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:21 PM

7. Amy Goodman hosted a debate between AZ Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal

and Richard Martinez, the attorney representing teachers and students trying to save the Mexican American Studies program. One of the books they banned was Shakespeare's The Tempest. I don't think the students had been punished for the walkout at the time of the interview, but I'm not surprised based upon Huppenthal's remarks.

He claimed the program was promoting Marxism. The guy is not an educator and paid more than $100,000 to have a team of educators come in and evaluate the program to see if it conformed to the law that Huppenthal had sponsored as a legislator. The evaluation team found no problem with the program, but the program was still eliminated despite its success.

Interview here:

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/1/18/debating_tucson_school_districts_book_ban

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:24 PM

8. Thank You For That !!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread